Honda Mirror Bolt Broke Off

• Member Contributer

While installing some mirror extenders, I managed to have difficulty with the one side and the bolt broke off. Rather than drill it out (especially if it is cross threaded), I was hoping to just replace the part that screws in, but not sure how difficult that would be. Which part number needs to be replaced? Is it this one? How hard is it to get to this to replace? Would I need to take the whole upper cowl off to get to it?

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-90540-SA7-000.html

• Member Contributer

If I understand this right, the bolt broke off leaving a stub sticking out of the fairing - the mirror and extender are removed. On 6th gens the bolt(s) each thread in to their own metal boss that's welded in to the fairing stay. It's not a replaceable part. If the remaining piece of the bolt is cross threaded and you can get a hold of it and back it out, you might find that a tap can clean the threads up sufficiently for re-use. If they're really bunged up you may have to drill it out and install a Heli-Coil or Nutsert. While theoretically you could do either with the upper fairing in place, the possibility of slipping and damaging the plastic is very real. I would remove the upper fairing to do that to be safe.

If the bolt's sticking way out, you're going to have trouble removing the upper fairing as the bolt will prevent the fairing from sliding off the fairing stay. If it can't be backed out it might have to be cut off to remove the fairing. It could probably tolerate sticking out some as the plastic can be moved aside some - maybe 1/2" (be careful not to break it). Here's a good Youtube video someone posted a few years ago that helped me get the upper fairing off for the first time. I may have a few photos of the upper fairing stay while I had the plastic off - I'll see if I can find them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otZQid8qLIs

• Member Contributer

you go to pepboys or autozone or lowes for the bolt!

you dont order it..

depending on how far its broken off. you MAY be able to use vice grips to get it out with no need to take off the fairing.

it it broke flush .. then you will need to drill it out..

if its almost flush.. but a mm out. cut a slot and see if you can use a flatblade screwdriver.. :beer:

• Member Contributer

you dont order it..

depending on how far its broken off. you MAY be able to use vice grips to get it out with no need to take off the fairing.

if its almost flush.. but a mm out. cut a slot and see if you can use a flatblade screwdriver.. :beer:

I wasn't going to ship one bolt, lol. I was just hoping the female end of the bolt was replaceable to avoid the drilling / cutting. Apparently not. Took it to the dealer and they got it out just fine. Beyond my skill level. Thanks for the info, guys.

Need to use more finesse to avoid this problem in the future.

• Member Contributer

you dont order it..

I wasn't going to ship one bolt, lol. I was just hoping the female end of the bolt was replaceable to avoid the drilling / cutting. Apparently not. Took it to the dealer and they got it out just fine. Beyond my skill level. Thanks for the info, guys.

Need to use more finesse to avoid this problem in the future.

Should have waited for PreMac2015 ?

Archived