6-Gen Abs Shock Adjustor Fill/bleed?

rhoderage

• Member Contributer

Hello again -

Here are pics of the 6-gen ABS shock I am considering buying to replace my non-ABS shock (I really want the remote preload adjust for 2-up).

The adjustor hose has been disconnected at the banjo bolt for removal... can anyone spell out the process for filling/bleeding this part of the system? I want to make sure it is something I can do before I go and buy it. Looks like all the hardware is present and the shock is in good shape, was used for roughly 10,000 km. (6k mi)

Thanks!

Pics:

post-25792-0-31913200-1424520709.jpg

post-25792-0-03038800-1424520741.jpg

post-25792-0-90301300-1424520764.jpg

• Member Contributer

I don't recall a service procedure in the FSM for that - I believe Honda considers it a non-servicable part. Your best bet is to contact Jamie Daugherty and get his input.

http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/

• Member Contributer

Nice find!

I couldn't open the photos, but this part further down seems very plausible;

"Then I dialed in just enough preload to feel some resistance. Then crack open the banjo bolt. The preload on the shock spring should push out any air and some fluid. I did this twice. The second time I had only fluid come out when I cracked open the bolt. My reason for doing this is that the air in the system will compress, while the oil will not."

Using the spring to push fluid out would be similar to squeezing the brake lever to force some out the bleed valve at a caliper. Once you have the hose and adjuster more or less filled with oil, add some preload to the spring and then let it put pressure on the system - crack the banjo bolt and let it force the air out. That sounds like it would work!!!

edit -

If that were readily doable with the shock installed, that might avoid the need to do all the dis-assembly on a VTEC to get the adjuster out with the shock. Thinking out loud - it might be possible to leave the adjuster and fender in place. For dis-assembly, remove the hose from the adjuster and attach a cord to it they way people do to pull stator wires back through. Pull the hose through and out and remove the shock. On re-assembly, attach the hose to the cord, pull it back through and then go through that procedure to bleed to preload unit. That would be one hell of a lot less work than disassembling the back half of the bike!

The shock is non serviceable, but some after market shops, will install a way to drain and refill it, if the preload has been disconnected your pretty screwed in using it , without modification to be able to service.

Archived