Rc79 Fuel Economy

Grum

• Member Contributer

Did a 407km ride and noticed I still had 1 fuel bar left on the gauge and not flashing so haden't hit reserve, litres per 100k's indicating 4.0. Filled her up to the same level I always do and took on 16.05ltrs.

After doing the sums = 3.94ltrs per 100k's with a calculated tank range of 537k's (21.2ltr tank capacity). Fuel used was standard 91ron.

The ride composed of a couple of steep twisty hills and some open curvy roads, and this was the best economy I've had with any of the 4 VFR's I've owned. After now having done 10,500k's on the new VFR I've been impressed in the noticeable improvement in general fuel consumption compared to my 3 previous VFR's.

As a point of interest I've never really achieved any noticeable gain in economy when using higher octane premium fuels, probably due to the fact the VFR does not have anti knock sensing so it can't take advantage of the higher octane fuel, and, as the owners manual states it is setup for 91ron.

Is everyone else noticing better fuel economy?

I'm definetly not doing better... The most I got from one tank was appr. 480km but with 20l at the petrol station, probably because it was a ride in Germany (with a few pieces of asfalt where I rode >200kph :happy: )

grtz

Yeah I agree, I regularly get 21.8 Kms/Litre according to the onboard computer which seems very accurate.

The best I got from my 6th gen was 18 but usually 16 Ks/L.

Also I am running the Akrapovic no baffle and the fuelling is perfect, better than the 6th gen ever was with a PC3 and custom map.

I'm averaging over 45 mpg with nothing but aggressive canyon carving. Used to get 38-40 on the 2007. I'm thrilled with the mileage! Even with the slightly smaller tank, it has way more range. One of many things I continue to love about this bike.

I've had my highest average yet, 47MPG, this is with a 35 mile urban run in London, the next day 90 miles on motorways at around 70 mph.

My lowest has also been recent, 30 MPG mainly due to very cold mornings and short 3 - 10 mile journeys.

This is checked by filling the tank and inputting the data into fuelio on my phone, every fill up has been recorded as my last bikes were NCs so I was fanatical about fuel economy. So far, the vfr has done an average of 41.5 MPG according to the records, Summer should see that improve I expect.

It's only done around 2000 miles 3 months as I mostly ride in London, would like to do more motorway runs just to see the difference.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi all from wet chilly france,

80 kms per day on french country roads, a few short 50kph zones and the rest 90kph twisty bumpy roads ..

In the 50kph zones im 'always' at 50kph in third,(too dangerous not to be, built up tiny villages/pedestrian crossings, etc ) in the 90kph zones, well im not exacly at 90kph .

vtec purrs every morning .

98 unleaded fuel used, as advised by honda dealer.

ive just hit 9000kms and im at between 4 - 5.5L/100kms , i think thats probably 47-56mpg . just changed the stock bridgestones too ( hated them )

ive had the arrow end can without db-killer since 2000kms ( nobody pulls out in front of me anymore, Yipeee !! )

safe riding to all

peace ............

• Member Contributer

Bonjour Rob. I am keen to know why your Honda dealer advises the use of 98 octane? The owners book states 91 or higher, is there an issue with the fuel quality of 91 compared to 98 in France? As I mentioned I've never gained from running higher octane fuels, in Australia that is! Your economy on the 98 octane could most likely be achieved easily on the 91, its a case of wether there is a known issue with contaminants or quality etc. of the cheaper 91 in your country.

Also running my Arrow without the db-killer, sounds nice. Have done a few thousand k's. with panniers fitted and there is no issue with exhaust heat effecting them. (A concern I had prior to fitting the Arrow).

Cheers.

Grum.

• Member Contributer

Bonjour Grum,

thanks for the info regarding the db-killer and the panniers, im going on a road trip soon and would like to leave it out. ( i love the sound !! )

im by no means a expert when it comes to types/grades of fuel/petrol, all i know is here in france in most places we get 95, 95 organic mixed, and the most expensive 98 . a couple years ago the dealers advised only 95, now its all changed to being advised only 98.

my old bike (ktm rc8r, i do miss her so) the dealer advised only 98 too. the dealers did say that 95 wasnt a good idea;

one of my buddies has a 28000€ harley 1731cc and runs 95.

go figure, who knows .

cheers

rob .

The higher octane value itself does not make any difference, but 98 might have better/different additives.

My car utilizes 98 with shifted ignition angles, but its ECU has specific maps for this, and there are knock sensors.

Too bad that Hondas don't even use 95, which is the minimum available here.

Bonjour Grum,

thanks for the info regarding the db-killer and the panniers, im going on a road trip soon and would like to leave it out. ( i love the sound !! )

im by no means a expert when it comes to types/grades of fuel/petrol, all i know is here in france in most places we get 95, 95 organic mixed, and the most expensive 98 . a couple years ago the dealers advised only 95, now its all changed to being advised only 98.

my old bike (ktm rc8r, i do miss her so) the dealer advised only 98 too. the dealers did say that 95 wasnt a good idea;

one of my buddies has a 28000€ harley 1731cc and runs 95.

go figure, who knows .

cheers

rob .

The mechanic at my local Honda dealer where I bought the new bike who also used to service my 6th gen once advised me NOT to use the higher available over here (97RON) in that and to stick with the standard 95. As you say, go figure.

• Member Contributer

It's interesting hearing what fuels are out there around the world, along with all the other interesting, helpful issues with our bikes. Such a GREAT forum.

In Australia we have standard 91ron, Premium 95ron as well as Premium 98ron (ron= Research Octane Number!) as well as a cocktail of Ethanol called E10 which I've never used.

The VFR purrs like a kitten on the 91 and also a buddy of mine who has two earlier model CBR1000RR's which he's run on 91 for years.

Guess its all about using what's best for the price and knowing the fuels in your locality, and of course, what is stated in the owners manual for each bike model.

Cheers.

Grum.

• 4 weeks later...

Update to my original post: Idle was set really high @1800 rpm when I first got the bike, hence the mediocre mileage. Reset to 1150-1200, and now get 46 to 48 on mostly twisty roads for last 1000 miles. Difference was around town, waiting at long lights with the high RPMs!

Archived