Well, I Bought It--1993 Vfr750F--After Searching For A Long Time.

SAW

• Member Contributer

I recently posted questions about what, if any, problems to look for. Thanks to V-Fore, Cogswell. Switchblade, and afpierce489 for their tips.

The White Pearl VFR is a "ten-footer," but it's still beautiful. R/R checked out fine, tires are new, and oil is fresh; the other fluids will be changed. The chain needs to be replaced. I'm loving it after only ten miles.

There is one problem for which I need help. The engine pulls strong until about 8500RPM, when it seems to flatten out and then take a while to get near redline. P.O. says the gas is fresh. Although I can't see rust in the tank, there is what looks like a thin coating of sludge. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of running some Seafoam in the tank for a while.

Also, as seen in the photo of the side stand, there is a rubber hose with a grommet-like end just hanging down there. I can't tell where the other end of the hose is until I pull the plastic. Any idea what it is and if it should be connected to something?

• Member Contributer

Check/Replace fuel filter. Sludge in the tank?? Maybe some sort of liner, is it white color? Kreem maybe. The petcock on my 86 pretty much dissolved and the fuel filter had pieces of the gasket caught in it.

"ten footer" LOL. haven't heard that one before.

• Member Contributer

Congratulations! I would run some seafoam through the tank and see if that helps first, then maybe pull the carbs & clean them, have you checked the air filter? I know can also be a higher rpm limiter.... Post up a few pictures of Her..... I believe the hose your asking about is just an overflow, at least that is what it is on my 4th gen.

• Member Contributer

Congratulations! I would run some seafoam through the tank and see if that helps first, then maybe pull the carbs & clean them, have you checked the air filter? I know can also be a higher rpm limiter.... Post up a few pictures of Her..... I believe the hose your asking about is just an overflow, at least that is what it is on my 4th gen.

And post some pic's.

My suggestion would be, if there is sludge in the tank, get rid of it before you ride anymore. I had rust in my tank, thought it was only a little, ran seafoam and did a carb clean and sync, and had to do it again when the rust went through the carbs. I spent a weekend with the tank off running hot water through it with a bunch of BB's. I used alcohol to get the water out, then put a tank coating on the inside, did a carb clean and sync....again, and all was right with the world. Just to be safe, I would drain the tank, pull it, then run something through to clean it out really good. This way none of the sludge is going through your carbs. Not sure about the hose, it's most likely what V-Fore said. Saw the other thread, looks good, congratulations.

You can do one of a few things about the sludge in the tank. You can use electrolysis, a fuel tank rust remover, or the toilet bowl treatment. I've done five tanks this year and only one I needed anything more than the $2 toilet bowl chemical treatment for.

In a nutshell?

Pull the tank

drain it

remove fuel sender and petcock

plug holes with a gasket material and a block of metal

pour 'the works' toilet bowl treatment in

fill tank with water

swish around and let sit for 20 mins or so

drain

rinse thoroughly

coat inside immediately with acetone or gas

you're done.

• Member Contributer

hose with grommet end? near side stand? probably the side stand switch?! lol if that 8mm bolt fell out that could be your issue *open side stand circuit* check it BEFORE messing with anything else

Reply back if

a. side stand switch is the piece

b. if the spring inside said switch keeps turning around instead of finding a *pressure* spot meaning it'll stop turning.

c. I may have a good side stand switch for you to have. :)

seafoam being said, I also run 2 cap fulls of 2 stroke oil in my tank to keep things lubed *typically Lucas or Klotz* (gas these days is dry)

• Member Contributer

Taglicious is correct--the "grommet", which was encrusted with crud, is the side stand switch. It has no "pressure spot"--it rotates 360 deg. with no notchiness. It works, illuminating the warning light when I moved the switch arm. The side stand has no notch or hole for the switch arm. Maybe this is not the original stand, and that's why the switch was just dangling. I can wire it in the closed position, or will that create other problems (other than riding off with the stand down?

• Member Contributer

don't ride with the sidestand down, or push it with the stand down or... remember the placement of your toes whilst moving said beasty... that thing will do a number on you lol

glad to hear you found/ resolved one issue. or was that the issue?

• Member Contributer

You can do one of a few things about the sludge in the tank. You can use electrolysis, a fuel tank rust remover, or the toilet bowl treatment. I've done five tanks this year and only one I needed anything more than the $2 toilet bowl chemical treatment for.

In a nutshell?

Pull the tank

drain it

remove fuel sender and petcock

plug holes with a gasket material and a block of metal

pour 'the works' toilet bowl treatment in

fill tank with water

swish around and let sit for 20 mins or so

drain

rinse thoroughly

coat inside immediately with acetone or gas

you're done.

Any pic's of the toilet bowl treatment ?

Archived