Wanting To Do A Usd Fork Swap Using 04 R1 Front End

squidzilla

I read somewhere on this forum that there is someone that did this. Not sure if it worked out well for that person.

Anyhow, here is what I can get so far for 700.00 shipped. Do I need anything else from the 04 R1 to do this? Fender I am sure. Is this a good price for all of this?

Forks,
Front wheel with rotors
Complete front brakeicon1.png system (calipers, hoses, master cylinder, brake lever).

Thanks.

Hi Squidzilla

There's two ways you can go about the installation - you can use Honda tripleclamps (CBR929/954 or VTR1000-SP1) and use spacers to allow for the fact that the Honda triples move each fork out by 2mm over the Yamaha arrangement, or you can use the R1 tripleclamps, simply by changing the top bearing.

If that R1 kit includes the tripleclamps, that's the way to go.

Hi Squidzilla

There's two ways you can go about the installation - you can use Honda tripleclamps (CBR929/954 or VTR1000-SP1) and use spacers to allow for the fact that the Honda triples move each fork out by 2mm over the Yamaha arrangement, or you can use the R1 tripleclamps, simply by changing the top bearing.

If that R1 kit includes the tripleclamps, that's the way to go.

Thanks for helping. What about the ignition? Will it fit the same in a Yammie part of should I go 929/954 to get a better fit?

This bike? :wink:

Which parts did you use to do this? Will it be the same for the 5th gen?

You want to go with the 954 upper and rc51 lower. You need the 954/929 upper because it has a gullwing shape to it which allows the forks to be slid down another inch so you don't lose any front ground clearance or bang the front fender on the oil cooler (which had to be relocated because the lower triple tree was hitting it). I had to remove about 75% of the steering stops from the lower to get the steering lock to function properly. I may have a 954 lower or an rc51 lower I'm honestly not sure, I just heard the rc51 was a better choice and I know mine was a very tight fit so I assume I have the 954 lower. The ignition and bearings interchange. You need custom 2mm wheel spacers to be made as well as 2mm disc spacers, but it is possible to find washers that are close enough for the disc spacers, but axle spacers definitely need to be made. I have Dan Moto clip ons. Everything is a really tight fit, but man these brakes are phenomenal, enough to slow down the rotation of the earth, and the fork is great. Oh also have fun delinking the brakes lol.

The problem with 954/RC triples is the offset. Best combo I came up with was first Gen R1 lower triple with an 05 R6 top clamp. The 05 R6 top clamp is a gull-wing style. I had that set up ready to go on my 5th Gen but it ended up going on my Hawk GT track bike instead.

• Member Contributer

I believe if you use an RC51 lower you have have to use the RC51 top bridge... the stem diameter at the top nut is larger on the RC51 than the 929

• Member Contributer

RC51 SP1 lower only, not SP2. SP1 is the smaller aluminum diameter stem, SP2 is the larger steel which won't fit the VFR. The SP1 steering triple works with the 954/929 gullwing upper. With the SP1 use the upper and lower RC bearings, they'll pop right in the 5G. VFR ignition bolts in to the 954 upper with a few spacers and longer bolts so it isn't sticking up too high. BTW, the 954 lower is straight between the forks, the RC lower (both SP1 & 2) is a gullwing style. As tcooper says, the offset isn't ideal, but it can work.

Post some pics when you get it done!

OK so you can see the parts I can get with the sale for 700.00. Seems like these are my options:

1- Gen 1 r1 lower triple and 05 r6 upper. Does the ignition fit ok?

2- 954 upper and lower. Ignitions sound like it fits pretty good.

3- SP1 lower and 954 upper.

4- Get the 04 R1 upper and lower. The whole thing. Still a question on the ignition though.

What about the steering stem?

Not sure about fitting the Honda ignition switch to an R1/R6 top tripleclamp.

MVinOZ has posted info on the bearing you need if you go with R1 triples, in this topic:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/66526-r1-usd-fork-swap/page-3?hl=bearings#entry915928

And there's a lot of additional useful info here:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/66526-r1-usd-fork-swap/

Archived