Throttle Body Isolator Boots

• Member Contributer

Just seems so weird you would have an issue with the temp sensor after just being in there. Do you think maybe you knocked something loose, stretched/cut a wire or something like that? Sucks you may have to take the TB off again........I guess if there is anything else down there you haven't replaced (hoses, o rings) may want to just do that this time since its such a chore to get in there.

I doubled checked those connections in there before putting the TB on. It is a small 4 connector harness for the oil pressure sending unit, temp sensor, and nuetral safety switch and then all of that connects to the main harness. The harness I replaced it with is from a 1998 model and looks identical.

Bike was running fine without any electrical issues before I tore it apart. :(

I have replaced hoses and t-stat while I was in there.

Is there an elecrical test you can do to check the temp sensor?

This is just not fair. :(

Bad luck Jeff. The temp sender is screwed in to the back of the front head left cylinder under that darned throttle body. I think you've got an electrical fault with the temp sensor wires as I doubt the engine could get that hot that quick. At 2k warm up I reckon it takes my VFR 2 minutes to get to 120F. The FI system uses the temp measure to adjust fuelling so a screwy temp will mess with fueling.

The fan uses its own switch on the left radiator and is not dependent on the coolant temp sensor.

We are on the same with this. The doofus I am should have tested the harness before putting it on. Maybe a broken tab in the sensor. Are we allowed to curse on here? :)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

As I read the instructions, it says the resistance of the sensor drops as temperature increases. If you have a short in the wires going to the sensor the resistance would drop and display an artificially high temp like you are seeing, so I'd suggest your harness is more likely the problem, rather than the sensor. Maybe a pinched wire?

• Member Contributer

I'm not sure about why you'd get a high idle. That should only be controlled by the wax unit which is moving the starter valves, which admit air to the engine when the throttle is closed. The wax unit should close the starter valves when the temperature is at a normal operating level.

The manual states that "The volume of fuel injected is compensated according to the coolant temperature" and I assume it adds less fuel when hot (or in your case, "thinks" it is hot...) so would run lean, but I don't think that would change the idle.

Are we allowed to curse on here? :)

Yes, apparently they are called "Garage Words".

Keep your chin up!

• Member Contributer

It was the temp sensor connector. I should have taken a closer look at it. Geez, surely I couldn't have done that. So I just taped up the wires on the orignal harness and used it.

Seems to rev better before I took it apart. :-)

I'm thinking the isolater boots were leaking before hand. I had to back the starter valves out to get the idle back down. It was idling at 3000 rpm. Maybe I shouldn't have done that. I hadn't touched anything on the wax unit. I will resync them tomorrow .

Samsung Droid Charge

post-26694-14105059065625.jpg

just curious, what makes you think the boots were leaking (symptoms)? I am guessing your saying its running much better now, I wonder if that had to do with the starter valve sync more than boot replacement. Did the boots show any evidence of leaking? Were the insulator bands good and snug on them? When you attached them, did you gap them to the specified gap in the service manual (insulator bands)?

• Member Contributer

just curious, what makes you think the boots were leaking (symptoms)? I am guessing your saying its running much better now, I wonder if that had to do with the starter valve sync more than boot replacement. Did the boots show any evidence of leaking? Were the insulator bands good and snug on them? When you attached them, did you gap them to the specified gap in the service manual (insulator bands)?

I could be wrong just a guessing. Someone has had the TB off before, the bands were loose and two of screws for the bands are not OE. I have not made any adjustments to to the wax unit or starter valves while having I apart. It's odd that it was idling a 3000 rpm's after putting it back together. There was a build up "soot" on the butterfly valves and along the insides of TB bores. Would this indicate it's been running a little rich for sometime? Either a previous owner incorrectly adjusted the wax unit or the starter valves or both. Since I've owned this bike it has ran well but I've also felt something was not quite right. I may have to adjust the wax unit the next time I start it up and synch the starter valves.

• Member Contributer

Still haven't got this right yet. Took it apart to check the wax unit. Wax unit is okay. So put back together and ran it but it took a long time for it to slooowly reach normal idle.

On the wax unit...does it matter how the coolant hoses connect to it?

Standing on the left side of bike facing the wax unit, the hose coming off the engine block is connected to the right side nipple on the wax unit and the hose coming off the t-stat is connected to left side nipple. Is this correct? Does it matter? I can't synch the starter valves until this is working like it's suppose to .

Jeffrey

is the starter rod or whatever its called, that thin metal rod that connects to the wax unit, bent? Its easy to bend those things screwing with the vacuum hoses and all that.

Also if memory serves me right the wax unit has white paint on its adjuster screws, not sure if you can mess with those or if you do how to know its "correct".

• Member Contributer

is the starter rod or whatever its called, that thin metal rod that connects to the wax unit, bent? Its easy to bend those things screwing with the vacuum hoses and all that.

Also if memory serves me right the wax unit has white paint on its adjuster screws, not sure if you can mess with those or if you do how to know its "correct".

Nope nothing bent but it's obvious someone has messed with it.(no paint)

Weird that it would function normally and now operate very slowly.

I have checked the "acuator" for the starter valves(what the rod attaches to) and it moves freely no fuel lines or hoses obstructing it

I have read comments about them not working correctly after a coolant change.(searching Google)

I will order a rebuild kit for it.

• Member Contributer

Is it the fuel tank air vent? It terminates in a loop of metal at the left side of the engine

post-22267-0-95806100-1410817718.jpg

• Member Contributer

Is it the fuel tank air vent? It terminates in a loop of metal at the left side of the engine

that may be it. The leak is seeping down the side of that. From where I do not know yet.

It will be lt later tonight before I can take a look and post pic. Bowling night.

Archived