Suspension Settings

vtwindr

what's everyone doing? I ran with stock for a while but found things a bit unsettled on bad roads. I knocked up the rebound on the front 1/2 turn and rear 1/4 turn and that seemed to improve things but after a long motorway ride today I was getting bounced about when hitting imperfrections at high speed so when I got back I have gone the other way and taken it down 1/4 turn on the front and 1/4 turn on the rear to see if I can soften things out a little . I weigh 180llbs so we'll see how it goes tomorrow. I'm not an expert in these matters by a long way and may just end up back at stock settings.Honda seem to have made it fairly basic with H for Hard and S for Soft so hopefully an idiot like me should be able to sort something out :wacko:

I've tried making adjustments in both directions on my previous 07 and on this one, and I just don't notice any difference. I tend to ride quite fast and aggressive most of the time, but I still can't perceive any change in the feel of the bike when I adjust preload or rebound, front or rear. It's probably just me, cause I also never notice a change when I adjust the suspension on my mountain bike.

Either way, I'm up to 800 miles (in the first week) and continue carving up the canyons like a Ginsu!

what's everyone doing? I ran with stock for a while but found things a bit unsettled on bad roads. I knocked up the rebound on the front 1/2 turn and rear 1/4 turn and that seemed to improve things but after a long motorway ride today I was getting bounced about when hitting imperfrections at high speed so when I got back I have gone the other way and taken it down 1/4 turn on the front and 1/4 turn on the rear to see if I can soften things out a little . I weigh 180llbs so we'll see how it goes tomorrow. I'm not an expert in these matters by a long way and may just end up back at stock settings.Honda seem to have made it fairly basic with H for Hard and S for Soft so hopefully an idiot like me should be able to sort something out :wacko:

Assuming your talking rebound and not preload, soft tends to quicken and Hard slows reaction . There's a bit of confusion, cause I believe the deluxe model has rebound on the forks but the standard does not , both I believe have preload.

As far as rebound, generally stock forks on most bikes are pretty close by one or two clicks, course if you don't have clicks, we are talking 1/8th of a turn equals about 1 click. Compression is where the real value adjustment can be had, but I don't think that's in the offering of either model.

Suspension is a step by step process. Also you bike is new so the suspension, especially the forks will have a lot of stiction until the bed in, just like any other mechanical component.

1. Check tyre pressures both in the handbook & on the tyre manufactures website. They will quote a range- set them lower end of the range for general solo riding.

2. Check that the from & rear preload plus rebound damping at both ends is set to the stock settings in the handbook. Go for a ride to warm up the suspension.

3. Measure sag. Here is the Ohlins guide supplied with their shocks on how to do it

CheckSagRideHeight MCRT

4. Adjust preloads front & rear to match the range for loaded (bike + rider) sag. Don't try to adjust preload to match free (bike supporting its own weight) sag as where free sag sits once you have adjusted preload to get loaded sag in the correct range informs us if the springs are too soft or too stiff for your weight.

5. Do not play with rebound adjustment until sag correctly set. The most common mistake with suspension adjustment is exactly what you described. Winding in the rebound to mask under preloaded suspension. If the suspension has too much sag it sits too deep through its travel, feeling both mushy and thumpy as bumps compress the shock & forks into the higher ends of their rising rates. Wind in the rebound packs it down further as the suspension cannot extend in time for the next bump. Get sag sorted first, then play with rebound.

OK I weigh 90kgs, and I get 40mm total sag on the front with the preload set to the 4th line down which I think is stock, so that is OK for me.

The front damping is OK stock

With the rear. I have it set to the 4th line from H and I get about 26mm total sag, with it in the stock position I was getting 36mm rear sag which was too much, so I added about 5 clicks.

The rebound damping seems OK, If we had compression damping I would back it off a bit for our bumpy roads but we dont have it so we are stuck with that, and its not too bad for sporty riding.

I would say the bike is probably slightly undersprung for my weight, (but OK) and slightly overdamped if I was being critical, but totally accepable and handles very well IMO.

I have raised the forks 5mm through the triples in anticipation of adding a little extra front preload, but havent seen the need as yet, as I said the handling is excellent.

Incidently, check the top triple clamp bolts, mine were not very tight at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried making adjustments in both directions on my previous 07 and on this one, and I just don't notice any difference. I tend to ride quite fast and aggressive most of the time, but I still can't perceive any change in the feel of the bike when I adjust preload or rebound, front or rear. It's probably just me, cause I also never notice a change when I adjust the suspension on my mountain bike.

Either way, I'm up to 800 miles (in the first week) and continue carving up the canyons like a Ginsu!

6th gen shocks fit the 8th gen, but are 2mm longer

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/78605-eighth-gen-modathon-round-one/?p=963075

• 4 months later...

Gonna bump this thread back into life...

Was messing around with the suspension this weekend and decided to set the loaded sag.

From what I understand, the loaded sag should generally be about 25 - 30% of the total suspension travel. The Honda website states the front travel is 108mm and the rear is 120mm, so that makes loaded sag figures of about 30mm front and rear..

Now, I had nothing unexpected setting the rear sag - just a few clicks of extra preload, but I had to wind the preload on the forks up by 9 full turns to get 30mm loaded sag. I only weigh about 80kgs (plus maybe a couple more for gear and luggage), so I'm finding it a little strange that I had to give it so much extra front preload... Anyone else had a crack at this? What were your figures?

see my previous post, since then I have added 1/2 turn front rebound damping and it feels great now, but I think the new Q3 on the front has helped a lot too.

Archived