Restoring a VFR headlight

HispanicSlammer

• Forum CEO

med_gallery_491_4444_49921.jpg

3M Headlight Restoration Kit

My 1998 VFR has its share of dings and defects from riding over 100,000 miles since 2001 when I bought it. It has always had some sort of strange scaling on the headlight like a protective film that was coving it and then half arsed removed. Its been cooked on and it would not come off. Anyway it was getting dingy looking and the light just wasn't penetrating the dark too well anymore so I looked into replacing it (cost prohibitive) then I looked at sanding it off and polishing with the tools I already have and then I decided to do some research and found a restoration kit offered by 3M for around $14-$40 dollars depending on the number of restorations you need to do.

gallery_491_4444_42215.jpg

Package includes Sanding disks, foam pad, polish, drill adapter, wet sanding disk and instructions.

http://www.tooloutfitters.net/headlight-le...ion-system.html

You begin the restoration by cleaning off the lamp and then taping off the sections you do not want to get damaged, they suggest using 3M tape of course but I used some packing tape I had lying around since I could not find a roll of masking tape at 3:00 am in the morning - I made due with what I had.

gallery_491_4444_9224.jpg

Headlamp before restoration you cant see the reflector, the light is diffused and it blocks the light beam

gallery_491_4444_43895.jpg

Before restoration you can see the scaling plastic as it has peeled off over the years, the rock chips and the overall dull finish.

gallery_491_4444_15273.jpg

3m drill adapter with a 500 grit pad attached

gallery_491_4444_68546.jpg

sanding 500 grit completed look for any clear areas, or other defects, use light pressure to sand with the power drill, clean off the powdered plastic and repeat if necessary

gallery_491_4444_22323.jpg

wet sanding with the 1300 grit wet disk after removing any defects with the 500 grit, removing sanding swirls with the 800 grit - you clean the lamp and then begin wet sanding

gallery_491_4444_3933.jpg

using a dime size dab of polish begin polishing the lamp

gallery_491_4444_6419.jpg

turn on the light to view any remaining defects repeat 800 grit sanding if you see swirl marks, wet sand and re-polish if necessary

I turned on the light and found some swirl marks so I went back and repeated the process starting at 800 grit and working up to polishing until I was satisfied with the results, then I sprayed on some plexis as well to fill in any remaining swirl marks. The results were dramatic compared to what I was used to it is like brand new condition now - virtually speaking. I am very happy best $30 bucks I have spent on my bikes this year!

gallery_491_4444_7299.jpg

Headlamp Restoration Complete

View this video for more details - :media: VIEW VIDEO HERE

• 8 months later...

Very cool. We have the full 3M professional set at work. It'a hard to get a perfect fimish buy most turn out 90-95% perfect. I didnt know they made a home kit.

We are doing a lot more. Honda auto headlights are horrible for turning yellow.

I used this kit on my '99 Honda Accord and was also pleased with the results. Nice piece of kit, but make sure you put plenty of tape around your headlight(s). I scratched up my bumper with the sandpaper, simply because I was lazy.

Mike

Just did the headlights, taillights, etc on my Suburban I'm restoring...my new son-in-law is a manager of a local body shop and we started out with 150 grit paper, working up to 600, then worked up to 1000, then 1500. After they looked like almost new again, he brought out the 3M Polishing compounds and then finished them off to a high gloss. Then we clear-coated them with some left-over clear from the spray booth. :fing02:

P1030249.jpg

• Member Contributer

I can't believe you were riding around with a headlight that was that hazed. Somebody buy this man a 7th gen!

I've cleared headlights on our last Subaru that looked like that. All I used was a 3M car cleaner wax/paste ($9) and an old shirt.

• 1 year later...

I can't believe you were riding around with a headlight that was that hazed. Somebody buy this man a 7th gen!

I've cleared headlights on our last Subaru that looked like that. All I used was a 3M car cleaner wax/paste ($9) and an old shirt.

I've detailed cars for a looong time and I'm rather amazed that people haven't discovered what I have found a number of years before this little kit came out....

You can do this by hand, or with a automotive buffer. Anyone know what this stuff on your headlight is? It's basically oxidation. What do you do when a car has oxidized paint? BUFF it. That's all this kit does is provide a very expensive means to the same end. You can accomplish the very same thing here by hand with a cleaner type wax, a terry cloth and some elbow grease and save the money for something else.

I just did my buddies GS430's lights when he said he wanted this kit...It took me ~2 mins with my buffer, then looked at him and jokingly said "that'll be $20" Just an fyi, give it a go

• Member Contributer

I've detailed cars for a looong time and I'm rather amazed that people haven't discovered what I have found a number of years before this little kit came out....

You can do this by hand, or with a automotive buffer. Anyone know what this stuff on your headlight is? It's basically oxidation. What do you do when a car has oxidized paint? BUFF it. That's all this kit does is provide a very expensive means to the same end. You can accomplish the very same thing here by hand with a cleaner type wax, a terry cloth and some elbow grease and save the money for something else.

I just did my buddies GS430's lights when he said he wanted this kit...It took me ~2 mins with my buffer, then looked at him and jokingly said "that'll be $20" Just an fyi, give it a go

Buffing works well when there is only a thin layer of haze. For dull headlights you really need to start by removing the outer layer of gunk. It is just fa easier to do this with successive grades of sandpaper finalized by a polishing or rubbing compound.