Is A Hot Frame Normal?

rhoderage

• Member Contributer

Is it normal on an '02 VFR800 for the frame to be hot after a ride? Ie the side portion that is visible between the tank and fairings.

Bike did not overheat or anything weird; maybe I've just never touched the frame after a ride but I was surprised to find it quite hot to the touch.

• Member Contributer

Granted the plastics are a little different, but my 5th gen frame gets pretty warm also. Not hot enough to burn you instantly, but uncomfortable to touch for more than 10 sec. Definitely less than 140F (temp of my hot water heater), which will burn you pretty quick. Anyone got one of those fancy IR cameras or thermometers?

• Member Contributer

I just did an 1,800+ mile round trip to Lake Tahoe. If you have a side wind, the air blowing out through the space above the two rear cylinders is pretty toasty. At speed you don't notice it (I suppose it's blown toward the back), but at slow speeds (traffic, construction) your inner thigh on the lee side can get a little toasty. While I haven't done it, I suppose if you stopped at that point and touched the section of the frame of which you speak it would be hot too. I wouldn't worry--as long as you're wearing pants. :goofy:

Hmmm... I can understand the SSSA being hot since it is mounted to the engine using it as a stress member, but the exhaust shouldn't factor into it. The exhaust never touches the frame nor swingarm. And even if it did, it would be cooler than the engine block I would imagine.

• Member Contributer

Any other ideas why only the right side is notoriously hot on Vfrs?

That's where the rectifier/regulator lives on most VFRs.

5th gen R/R are on the left side rear subframe...

right calf gets cooked because that is where the rear exhuast downtubes exit.

Most of the metal spacers on the engine mounts are on the left side so that may isolate the engine heat transfer on that side. Right side directly contacts the engine.

Any other ideas why only the right side is notoriously hot on Vfrs?

Oh I completely agree the right side air temp hot! My point is that the frame/swingarm should be relatively uniform in heat because of the engine being mounted to it. If we are talking about rider comfort in relation to ambient temp, then you get some of the heat from the side rads blowing on you or emanating heat from the exhaust routing to the right of the bike.

Archived