Suspension Question

Lint

One of the reasons I run single compound fronts, is because they wear very nicely(original Ppower). Multi stage fronts tend to triangulate at an undesirable fast pace for me, if your seeing that, you dont want multi compound fronts.

As far as life, nothing on the market is going to outlive the road 2 type tires, not even iron wearing tires that have no traction. ( the roads are a freak of nature in this regard to give not only that kind of life, but offer un matched performance. Ive ran metzlers, avons, Brigestones, Pirelli , The road 2 is the bar performance and life, ive not seen anything match those 2 areas (even close).

The roads may cost more, but you more than make up for it in mounting costs and time and trouble.

Since I have hijacked my own thread, I thought I would add that in the current Motorcyclist magazine, on Page 84, Ari Henning states that he put the Verge 2x on his long term FZ-09. To quote:

I've been riding the FZ-09 pretty hard lately, and the Shinkos handle everything I've thrown at them. They have a steeper profile than the OE tires (Dunlop Sportmax D214)so they make the bike turn in quicker, and grip and handling are on par with more popular (and expensive) buns I've used.

I have a feeling that his version of riding hard is probably faster/harder than I run. But, my blue back tire... :happy:

I have found a few places selling sets for good prices.

Revzilla is right at $200 They are in Philly http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shinko-016-verge-2x-rear-tires?utm_source=product&kwd=&gclid=CKjq-4rdqMACFcRffgodaBoA_Q

Motorcycle Tires Maniac has them for $195 and they are in IA. http://www.motorcycletiresmaniac.com/shinko-016-verge-2x-motorcycle-tires.html

Chaparral Motorsports has them for $205 a set. http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product/shinko-016-verge-2x-radial-front-tire/369-874083.aspx San Bernardino, Ca

And Wheels In Motion has them for about $200. 818-576-0003 They are in Canoga Park, Ca.

Now, back to the original topic, I just read this here; http://biketrackdayshub.com/motorcycle-tyre-wear-guide

Are the edges of the tread raised? - If you have a raised area on either the leading or back edge of the tread, this is a strong sign that rebound damping on the forks or shock is set either too fast or too slow. Usually if it's on the leading edge rebound is too slow, and if it's on the back edge it's too fast. RaiseEdgeOfTread.jpg

Now, I don't know much about suspension and I really need to buy a book or two about it. So, since my PR3 rear tires had this, but in the back of the tread, how do I correct? My forks are already twisted down all the way. and the rear shock is supposed to be set up as best it can be for my weight, so what changes should I try? I have not yet tried the shims on top of the shock, but I know this won't effect rebound.

Book suggestions?

• Member Contributer

Slow down your rebound on your rear shock....the shock is trying to extend the swingarm too fast.

• Member Contributer

Slow down your rebound on your rear shock....the shock is trying to extend the swingarm too fast.

How do I do this? I've never worked on a bike shock before.
There's a screw slot on the bottom of the shock just above the mounting eyelet, this is the rebound adjuster. It'll be breaking a man rule but check the owners manual for it and read which direction to turn it. Of course, you can always turn it one way and see if it improves, if it's worse, turn it the other way...no man rule broken

Ha! Love the man rule part. Since there isn't much of a margin of error on a bike, I'll check the manual. If my card gets revoked, I'll go cry in the corner and watch Oprah.

• Member Contributer

I sent Ari Henning a message for some more details about his experience with the Verge 2X

The Shinkos have worked great. I've put some hard riding on them and they've never slipped or otherwise misbehaved. The only drawback is that they wear quickly (I have 2600 miles on my set with a visible but minor flat spot down the rear) but for the price they're fantastic tires.

I think this is compelling enough for me to try them out. I'm always game to try new brands and models of tires. Most of the time, I try them through to the end. The only exception for me has been the Conti Motions which I hated in the wet & cold. I ditched them in favour of Pilot Road 3 and sold them with a few thousand km on

I sent Ari Henning a message for some more details about his experience with the Verge 2X

The Shinkos have worked great. I've put some hard riding on them and they've never slipped or otherwise misbehaved. The only drawback is that they wear quickly (I have 2600 miles on my set with a visible but minor flat spot down the rear) but for the price they're fantastic tires.

That's quite a recommendation, considering his experience on just about every tire ever made.

Archived