How Does The Vfr12 Rank Among Bikes You've Owned?

Auron

• Member Contributer

Even if you didn't face the swingarm pivot location issue it would be a lot more expensive than the one you did on the VFR 500 which had a chain drive.

Comparing expense belt drives cost hundred of dollars where as shaft drives cost thousands of dollars... both offer maintenance free riding...

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 2010 VFR is #1. BMW K1200 S is second (but was sold due to alot of problems). BMW R1200 GS third (nice bike, but ultimately got bored with it). KTM 690 SMR fourth (would be higher up but ultimately too small and impractical).

The VFR does everything I need (not that it's perfect).

I rate my 2013 VFR 1200F two ways. As it was delivered stock it was a good bike but not a great choice. I hated the 1st & 2nd gear restrictions and the less than ideal fuel mapping below 4000 RPM. With the help of Don Guhl's re-flash and a power commander with auto tune the bike was transformed into a 1st rate ride.

I still think of it as a really good old guys sport bike, not really a sport bike or a sport touring bike. I am 72 years old so it fits.

1. After some more time riding it the best all around bike I have owned is my 2014 FJR 1300ES.

2. The bikes I had the most fun with were my 2012 ZX14R and my 2000 ZX12R.

3. The bikes I owned and miss the most: my 1999 Honda XX, my 1st year VFR 750, two 1979 Honda CBX's.

So Dynajohn what is your workout routine? I've been following the Guhl reflash and wondered how can anyone hold on to a full on second gear, much less a first gear redline. Except for the wind buffeting and the weight of the bike I WAS happy till I discovered you're 72! Just made 69 and I can see I need your workout routine so I can get a Guhl reflash too.

Walk 5 miles a day. Light weights and flexibility training at a local gym 3 times a week and a sensible diet. If you think the 1st & 2nd gear acceleration on the VFR 1200 is exciting you should try the latest generation Kawasaki XZ 14R with a pipe and properly tuned power commander. That bikes power was like a addictive drug. My reaction times are just not that good anymore so I took a step back with the VFR. The VFR is as fast in it's present state of tune (168 RWHP) as any rational person needs but it is over 45 RWHP shy of my last ZX14R which I sold to buy the VFR. I have always been addicted to fast bikes and cars and it is a hard thing to finally realize it is time to slow down a step or two.

in terms of performance - blackbird , zzr1100 , vfr1100 - in terms of fun factor- Suzuki ap50 , Honda sl125 , Norton commando 750 Interpol , - and overall satisfaction- vfr1200 , blackbird , commando.

My VFR1200 is my 37th bike. Here are pics of them all, but sorry, as its a crappy free site, with lots of stupid adds

http://www.angelfire.com/id/kurtfriedrich/

anyhow, my Ducati 1098R and 1198 certainly were by far the most orgasmic bikes I ever owned, but had to be at the track or very seriously abusing the speed limit to really enjoy them, and more than 2 hours was just too tiring.

But as for a "real motorcycle", meaning something to jump on and ride to the store, ride to work, do full day trip around the local mountains, or do a 8 day trip to the southwest on, the VFR is clearly the best bike I ever had. If I wasn't an aggressive rider, the BMW R1200RT is a fine machine, but I am, and for me, it is just to sexless, and too hard to hang off in the twisties. Also, the seat height is absurdly high, I never liked that. The FJR's are very comparable, and I would never say a bad thing about them, but I just find the VFR loves to turn in, and corner more easily and better for me. I wouldn't be surprised to find some riders prefer how the FJR handles, as I think this is just a matter of riding style. The new FJR with TC, electronic suspension, and cruise control might be a coin toss with the VFR, but I know I prefer the VFRs looks and just how it feels in the corners.

Walk 5 miles a day. Light weights and flexibility training at a local gym 3 times a week and a sensible diet. If you think the 1st & 2nd gear acceleration on the VFR 1200 is exciting you should try the latest generation Kawasaki XZ 14R with a pipe and properly tuned power commander. That bikes power was like a addictive drug. My reaction times are just not that good anymore so I took a step back with the VFR. The VFR is as fast in it's present state of tune (168 RWHP) as any rational person needs but it is over 45 RWHP shy of my last ZX14R which I sold to buy the VFR. I have always been addicted to fast bikes and cars and it is a hard thing to finally realize it is time to slow down a step or two.

..but you wear that blue superman suit! Thanks. Hope I'm still riding at 72.

V-max 1200, v-max 1700 - thrill factor and wet pants...80km of range...sit and ride "in town" bikes. Cant compare.

Many oldtime beemers, russian copies and few smaller oldtimers - cant compare.

Few small nakeds like gsr750, a missunderstanding called Virago...none if them can compete with vfr1200.

Different league.

I have tried a Z1000SX and GTR1400 before buiyng a VFR1200. Z1000SX is way tooo sporty - cant complain about fun factor

but most defo not a touring bike. GTR1400 - something like mercedes - way to comfy and no fun factor - could probably love when you are a bit older.

VFR1200 was just right in the middle of those two - a looker, mighty V4(just cant own anything else as V4)engine, most versatile riding machine I have

ever owned. Great tourer, great fun bike - just a few things which you would like to change but again, a few things like any other bikes have.

A friend of mine has K1600GL....well...If I would ever want to see a Startrek Enterprise again I would definitly watch a few episodes with Mr. Pickard.

With pleasure I might add.

• Member Contributer

Of most recent bikes... in order of total satisfaction:

'06 Sprint 1050 ABS - best do it all bike with fully faired weather protection

'03 Tuono - exhilirating on road and track, just fun, but not practical for more than a 20 mile commute on the road

'06 Daytona 675 - amazing on the track, great motor. Ergonomically not comfortable for much else.

'03 FZ1 - awesome do it all bike, deceptively fast (you have no idea you're going 95 in a 65) but needed fairings to be a commuter (sold for Sprint)

'86 Shadow VT700C - good to get back into riding after 12 year hiatus. Buddy still has it.

We'll see if the VFR tops the list...hopefully picking it up tomorrow. Tuono is the only one left in the garage at the moment.

-Dan

Tuono is the only one left in the garage at the moment.

-Dan

trade it for gen2 and it will stay in your garage for a very very long time. Don't expect vfr12 to top all that excitement of riding the Ape. It will compliment it very well though.

• 3 weeks later...

VFR12 I would rank as the second best bike I ever owned, with the 07 ZX-14 being number one. The only drawbacks of the 14 were the engine noise (boring, even with aftermarket pipes), ergos (not terrible but a bit further forward than a stock VFR) and possibly engine heat (I live in Canada, so this is not always undesirable!). It was the most incredibly smooth bike I've ever been on, both fueling wise and shifting, and was completely happy at any speed except standstill. Fuel economy roughly the same as the VFR but with a bigger tank, so I was getting roughly 60 more km per tank. And of course it weighed ~50lb less and had probably a good 15-20 more hp at the wheel, though I rarely was able to put it all to use.

In contrast, the VFR has much better ergos (mine came with helibars installed), more interesting engine sound and character, and somehow an amazing ability to negate engine heat which I suspect is due to the nifty fairing design. Honda's definitely put a lot of interesting engineering work into it which really appeals to me.

I've been disappointed with other aspects of it though. This is my first shaft drive bike and I don't especially like the feel of it compared to a chain, especially at low speeds and on and off throttle transitions. Low speed fueling not so great, even with z-bomb installed, and seems to flat spot from ~2800-5000rpm. I find shifting to be a lot less smooth than I expected based on all the reviews I read. Part of this I suspect is due to shaft drive, and part likely due to the squishy meaty bit above the seat. I also have the issue where second gear doesn't always engage all the way and I have to get of the power and get back on before I can zoom off, lest I pop out of gear. The suspension is honestly terrible for a bike of this caliber; I've tinkered with suspension settings a lot and still not been able to get it near as good as the 14 was (I'm a bit on the heavy side, ~230lb all geared up. I know the VFR is undersprung for my weight, but supposedly the first gen ZX14 was too).

I really want to love the VFR. I'd wanted one since it was first introduced, and on paper it should be everything I want in a bike. In practice though it seems Honda focused their engineering efforts on things like the design of the fairings, engine and shaft drive, while neglecting basic things like suspension and fuelling. I know that wizards out there, like Don Guhl and Jim Daugherty, can apparently sort some of these problems at least to a degree, but for a price. I'm hesitant to spend a lot more money on the bike and end up still not satisfied with the result, and I'm strongly considering selling her for another 14 next year sometime.

I don't want to knock the big VFR too much, it's a very good and interesting and unique bike, but every time I go for a ride I end up comparing the two, and too often it comes up short.

</rant>

VFR 800 2001 model - bar risers, double bubble screen, heated grips and air hawk saddle. I could ride this bike forever

Triumph Street Triple - the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

ST1100. If only it was lighter to push round a car park. Comfy, fast enough, perfect tourer.

VFR 800 2001 model - bar risers, double bubble screen, heated grips and air hawk saddle. I could ride this bike forever

Triumph Street Triple - the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

ST1100. If only it was lighter to push round a car park. Comfy, fast enough, perfect tourer.

Glendon is the closest to my view. Triumph Street Triple for the tight windy road loops around my home, A good early generation VFR for the 'everything and anything' machine (as Bike magazine agreed, the best allrounder of the last 30 years) and the VFR1200 as your modern 'Grand Turismo' special. When someone says 'Come away for a few days, we will do a mixture of A + B roads and we may need to do a final haul of 1000 kms on the last day to make the ferry' it is always the Veefaloo I choose. The fairing, the motor, the sound and low maintenance shaft drive wins when it handles so much better than a ST. On top of that, the discounted ones were incredible value for the money. Second hand they still make sense. A well engineered bargain fun machine, as long as you fit an aftermarket pipe.

post-23773-0-83363000-1418725279.jpg

• Member Contributer

I've done the suspension on mine, the ECU Flash, removed the cat, and tuned it. It's the most versatile bike I've ever owned. It's the only one that is happy to high speed commute, sport tour, go to war in the twisty bits, do a track day, just about anything. Sport tour comfort, literbike power, literbike handling. I'm most impressed with the center of mass and how they got this big bitch to handle this well.

I never got hung up on modifications because every bike I've owned for the last decade and a half needed something. Always suspension work, springs are never right. And always fueling due to the EPA. I could go buy a new bike tomorrow and I'd have to sort the suspension out and the fueling. It's just part of the game. All new bikes will require ECU flashes as well.

Well I have made up my mind after yesterday’s ride. My best bike had always been my first GS1000 Suzuki, possibly because I was young and it was so fast. Then along came the GSX 1100 EZ, I did a few races on it and turned an 11.6 sec quarter mile on it which back in the day was real fast. Years later an FJR 1300 stole my heart, that bike was a refined machine. Now the VFR 1200. It is heavy but there is some think about the way it carries its weight, and those brakes! The growl from the V4 at the 4500rpm to 8000rpm and riding the torque curve. It is number one !!

Cheers

Archived