Me Again: 6Th Gen With Zero Voltage To The Headlights

digitallyhip

• Member Contributer

It's not the 20A fuse on the left side fusebox (the bike has ABS). I've replaced that.

But my headlights are getting 0v with the ignition on and with/without the engine running. The last time I had the front cowl on the bike (4-5 weeks ago, I've been out of commission) , all four lights lit. I have changed NOTHING since then.

What don't I see? Please!

• Member Contributer

Right. All signals, brake lights, starter, dash, even the temp works!

And the bike runs. The bulbs are not the issue as there's zero volts going to them.

• Member Contributer

Headlight relay ( I think there is one behind upper cowl, isn't there )??? Pinched or broken wire when re-installing upper cowl???

I remembered reading this thread a while ago, thought just maybe................... Might help.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/77193-headlights-not-coming-on-as-usual/?hl=%2Bheadlight+%2Brelay

• Member Contributer

I'm betting on the contacts in the starter switch.

Issues with that switch happened with my bike this spring after sitting over the winter.

• Member Contributer

Thank you, ZZ (hey! I lived in Kelowna for six years, left in 1978), but it's high and low beams, so it's probably not both relays at the same time.

MarkD, thank you I will check that out.

• Member Contributer

I do not know how the latter models are wired, but if you have a diagram, can you trace backwards and verify others on the same line have voltage? Is there a ground involved? that is how I would move forward.....Good luck!

• Member Contributer

Thank you Gary and SB. Once it cools off and dinner is over, I am heading out there to disassemble the ignition switch. Fingers crossed!

• Member Contributer

It's the starter switch. Simply fiddling with the starter button "fixes" the problem. So... I will try the contact cleaner/WD40 option, but wonder if that's just buying time.

My bike is 11 years old, has been a commuter for the past five years and has about 30,000 miles on it. Gary: have you ever replaced yours?

And in testing everything/showing my 16 year old daughter who is very interested in everything motor-related, I have discovered that my front brake does not activate the brake lights. Rears do activate the lights, and I have tested/cleaned the contacts for the front brake switch. Nothing.

Any more ideas, my esteemed friends? :)

• Member Contributer

Glad to hear it David! Mine is fine so far....103k and counting, but you are on an island I would shoot some electrical contact cleaner in the switch and work it though, I am no electrical guy but is the circuit open??

• Member Contributer

Loose wire(s) on the brake switch circuit? Maybe either have a helper hold the brake on, or use a small bungee cord or equivalent to hold it while wiggling related wires / connections to see where the break is in the circuit. Also, check the grounds - I don't have a diagram, but each switch probably just grounds the brake light circuit.

• Member Contributer

The brake lights worked properly last night after a little cleaning of the contacts in the switch. A proper cleaning is in the future, but i just couldn't wait to ride!

Thanks to everyone for your insight and suggestions.

Guest Recalcitrance

Had the same problem. Cleaning took care it. It's a temporary fix though and after a while you'll need to order a new switch. My honda guy told me that it's on back order since it's very common for these things to corrode. But he also said after a proper cleaning, I'd be fine for a long while.

Archived