Engine Sounds Loose

Lint

First things first. It's running great! No complaints. I just rode today without earplugs and it just sorta sounded loose. I'll do an oil change, cuz it's pretty much due, but it got me thinking that perhaps a chain tensioner may be going soft? It's about 22k-ish miles.

I'll see how it sounds after an oil change.

It could very well be the cct's... Does the sound go away when you pull in the clutch or after the bike warms up or when you change the oil? What exactly does it sound like?

Most likely something is loose on the chassis and rattling. Scope out where the sound is coming from and document what conditions is it heard. Does frequency vary with rpm or wheel speed?

6th gen. CCT is usually not the chain at all but the CCT mechanism rattling in it own can because it is filled with air instead of oil. Usually a constant frequency tapping sound that can come and go with rpm and engine temperature. It can go away as the oil heats up and gets thinner, filling the CCT, or when the oil pressure rises at higher rpm. It is annoyingly loud but causes no harm.

When I was riding it here to Nashville, I started it up in the morning and there was a quiet tapping coming from the front of the engine, but it went away as the oil pressure came up. I haven't heard it since.

I'll check the chassis, probably something simple.

I'll see how it is after an oil change.

• Member Contributer

Noise while moving or while standing still or both?

Adjust the drive chain and get some good ear protection.

Does wonders :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Usually when I ride the 5th gen, I have the helmut and earplugs on before I start the engine. Recently I did an oil change and just wanted to check it for leaks and stuff and did a ride around the neighborhood sans helmut and plugs. --- I never realised how whiney it is, and then clunky the tranny was before.

Archived