Regulator Rectifier Issues

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I think I'd rather have a loud exhaust over bright headlights that can distract and dazzle oncoming traffic into not seeing the idiot pedestrian walking out from behind a van whilst checking their Facebook profile. I'm sure I don't need to point out that DTRLs don't have any focus to them but headlights do. Hence why nothing bad was said about having headlights on dip during the day for bikes, not sure if modern tech allows for the use of DTRLs when it gets dark, after markets are obviously different, I think DTRLs need to be focusable though. There was nothing wrong with running side lights anyway. No bad experiences with load pipes but plenty with poorly adjusted headlights and miss-use of fog lights also, parking on the wrong side of the road with your headlights on (an offence in Australia I believe). On a side note, does anyone know what the actual wattage and make of the led headlight is? I assume it's a cree of some sort.

The first automobile DRLs were indeed just regular headlamps ("on dip") and did indeed cause a fury, at least here in the 'States. Same as bike headlamps basically. In fact bikes could have been thought of as more of a problem relatively speaking because they are mounted higher.

To me the difference between loud pipes and bright lights is that the bright lights aren't so invasive. If someone with bright lights cruises by, nobody misses a teacher's sentence or has to ask a friend to repeat themselves. Nobody has to rewind their TV program. Nobody is awakened from their sleep. Nobody's concentration is shattered. Nobody gets aggravated mid-shtup. :wink: As a result, nobody is writing their elected officials and trying to ban motorcycles and pass all kinds of new laws because of the bright lights. But the loud pipes, holy crap, the trouble they cause, because it is so invasive.

As for the headlamp chips, I think we're gonna have to wait for someone to disassemble their headlamp unit to discover what Honda is using.

Given the cost to replace those units, I think it would be nice of Honda would make schematic diagrams available for if and when individual parts fail. It's bad enough already, this country treating $1000 parts as entirely replaceable and not serviceable. When I go to Asia I see people repairing $20 CDROM drives.

I agree with what you're saying about the noise issues, bikes get a bad rep in general by some having loud pipes car users too. None of this is dangerous however, blinding/dazzling other road users is. Getting that home to other road users is the hard part. At least with a loud pipe you know you're being an arse☺ misaligned headlights is just ignorance IMHO.

I haven't had a good look at the back in good light yet, but there seems to be a heatsink for each lamp unit and not sure but I thought I saw a large black radiator lower and closer to the head stock, could this be a water cooled system for the lights?

I'm just poking back through the thread a little bit...

About anti-social, there was a day here in the 'States when motorcycle headlights were only used at night. Then the bureaucrats decided we should run headlights full-time to give us a safety advantage and headlight switches soon disappeared. A little over a decade afterward, car manufacturers started thinking DRLs were a lovely idea. Good-bye safety advantage. The amusing part is that headlight glare has been a subject of much disagreement in DOT and NHTSA with regards to DRLs but they never gave a crap about any of that when they decided motorcycles needed to run headlamps full-time.

And frankly you don't have to head "I never saw you" too many times to decide that anti-social beats injured, crippled or dead, hands-down. Think of the high-beams as the quiet answer to the "loud pipes save lives crowd". Which do you think is less anti-social? ;-)

Setting aside the antisocial bit for a second, try this little experiment next time you are outside on a clear day with a small group of people. Shout out "A free beer/coffee/choc-bar for the first person who can show me where the sun is?" What will happen is a laughable confused-chicken arm-flapping scramble to find that bright orb that lights our world. See it all the time in my work as a Film/TV cameraman, even with seasoned industry professionals with a vested interest in knowing the direction of the source of light.

Why? Because bright sunlight is quickly damaging to our eyes we are pre-programmed by instinct not to look at it. We behave the same way with any bright source of light. Once the brightness exceeds the dynamic range of our eyes it becomes glaring and we shy away from it or stop looking at it. So you can see how running hi-beams on headlights in traffic is counterproductive if the intent is to avoid those awful "didnt see you" scenarios.

But wait, there is more! We have evolved from carniverous fruit-eaters. We can thank our fruit eating ancestors for colour vision, but the meat eating side of the tree gave us our two eyes side by side on the front of our head, to use stereoscopic vision to track movement & a brain that responds to movement better than contrast. Often we hear of drivers pulling out of intersections apologising for not judging speed correctly. The best ways to help that lower life form called the motorist make less errors of judgement is to run a dipped headlight or two with nice big reflectors ( 5th & 6th gens are great in this regard) so you don't have glare causing folk to look away plus you do have a nice big area of reasonable brightness for their eyes & brains to track.... hopefully!

Now I'm on a science roll loud pipes is a funny one as well. We have stereo hearing. Two ears, one on each side of the head. So as long as the wavelength of a sound is shorter than the distance between our ears we can directionalise the source of the sound from the different aural imaging. So whats the magic pitch that matches the wavelength thats just a bit shorter than the distance between our ears? The human voice, specifically a womans voice. So when Mr Knuckle-Dragging in his pirate costume fits his Hardly- Dangerous with open exhausts to make that special sound like an elephant farting down a drainpipe at 110dB we certainly know he's around, but not where he is heading to & from. A two-stroke v-twin 250 like an Aprilia RS250 or a Japanese inline 4cylinder 400 you know damn where they are and where they are headed, even with stock pipes. Pitch is important for safety, excessive volume only gives a chubby to the cock on the bike.

Back to being anti-social. Riding around with high-beam glaring into the eyes of oncoming motorists or into the mirrors of vehicles only compromises their vision & in times of poor visibility can make driving safely quite difficult, much like driving into the sun with a dirty visor. Not only that but it fucks people off big time, much in the same way as loud pipes. It may not effect you on the day, but if motorists over time get pissed off more & more with high beams in their eyes & loud pipes in their rattling their brains one day their response to such stimulus my be less than appropriate, with a poor outcome for the motorcyclist de jour. Thats why its not only an unsafe practice that wont save you any better as an individual from....

And frankly you don't have to head "I never saw you" too many times to decide that anti-social beats injured, crippled or dead, hands-down.

.... but may well effect other motorcyclists too. That in my book is the definition of antisocial.

• 6 months later...

Does anyone know where the RR is located on the 8th gen bikes?

It doesn't appear to be where the 6th gen was, I assume its behind the fairing behind the air ducts at the sides of the headlight.

God I hope the stators last longer on the 8th gen than they do on the 6th gens, and the RR is mosfet.

Does anyone know where the RR is located on the 8th gen bikes?

It doesn't appear to be where the 6th gen was, I assume its behind the fairing behind the air ducts at the sides of the headlight.

God I hope the stators last longer on the 8th gen than they do on the 6th gens, and the RR is mosfet.

It should be located behind the mid fairing, on the right hand side.

(I also hope quality/construction is better now than what I read about the last generation)

Edit: You can see part of the back side of it when looking down in the little space between the right side of the tank and the fairing.

• 9 months later...

Well, last Friday I hung out in the HOV lane of the 405 Freeway with my 2005 6th generation for an hour and a half while waiting for a tow truck. First they sent the hooks. I sent them away and waited for a flat bed.

The most I've ever gotten out of a stator is 30K miles the least 19K. This is my fourth stator in 114K miles. I've used genuine Honda and Ricks Electric. The bikes had the recall. I have a VFRness and for the last forty thousand miles the stator wires have been soldered with parallel grounds.

I like my 6th generation so much when the gods are smiling that I've been trying to make myself replace it with an 8th generation. Nothing I read here tells me anything's really changed.

I so far have about 250K miles on Hinckley Triumphs. They aren't half the bike the VFR is but I've never had to spend any time figuring out how to fix one when I was a long way from home.

I figure I'll put 5K miles on the 2005 then replace it while the bike has some life left. I'm really not sure which direction I'm going to go.

• Member Contributer

Well, last Friday I hung out in the HOV lane of the 405 Freeway with my 2005 6th generation for an hour and a half while waiting for a tow truck. First they sent the hooks. I sent them away and waited for a flat bed.

The most I've ever gotten out of a stator is 30K miles the least 19K. This is my fourth stator in 114K miles. I've used genuine Honda and Ricks Electric. The bikes had the recall. I have a VFRness and for the last forty thousand miles the stator wires have been soldered with parallel grounds.

I like my 6th generation so much when the gods are smiling that I've been trying to make myself replace it with an 8th generation. Nothing I read here tells me anything's really changed.

I so far have about 250K miles on Hinckley Triumphs. They aren't half the bike the VFR is but I've never had to spend any time figuring out how to fix one when I was a long way from home.

I figure I'll put 5K miles on the 2005 then replace it while the bike has some life left. I'm really not sure which direction I'm going to go.

I'm puzzled as to how you concluded that nothing [as far as R/R and related electrical issues?] has changed between the 6th gen and the 8th gen.

Please explain.

I find the 2006 vfr has out standing stator life, and still on all original wiring, 111,000 miles on the second stator, both have yielded post 50,000 mile life.

I only run oem , have had a new stator ready to go for the last year , but have been mainly riding my KTM. Although the VFR gets ridden about once per week.

• Member Contributer

Hi Phineas.

Have a look at my posting in this thread number 29. The 8th. gen R/R is completely different to previous models. Hopefully this will improve the reliability of the Stator.

Cheers.

Grum.

• 3 months later...

So, reading a review, I saw that they did say that the charging system was overhauled. Including a new connector. I've only had my bike for a week, but my old daytona had the same issues with shunt r/r and crappy spade connector. 

My question, to those of you already familiar with the insides of the 8 gen, what kind of connector is it? After switching to metripack on the Daytona, I'm never looking back! 

Archived