New Penske Shock Problem

Quest

Just installed a new Penske 8983 Shock on a 2005 Non-ABS VFR800. The shock was ordered for my bike taking into account my weight.

When I take the bike off the centre stand the entire rear end collapses down as if the shock did not exist!

I have installed new shocks and set SAG on my dirt bikes but have never seen this issue where there is NO support and the end drops right down up into the fender well.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Need more info!!!

Is there a spring on the shock? The bike can not collapse if there is a spring on the shock unless you missed a mount point??? :unsure:

Need more info!!!

Is there a spring on the shock? The bike can not collapse if there is a spring on the shock unless you missed a mount point??? :unsure:

This.

Found the culprit! The shock arm bolt was not installed - still sitting on the bench. Will fix that issue of crawling on the floor under the bike - ordered a lift for the bike.

Thanks everyone!

• Member Contributer

double and triple check everything you work on,use locktight etc. It had to be the bolt- lower shock -plates is missing.

Don't use locktight on suspension bolts/nuts, the nuts are nyloc & they don't even use a high torque. If the nuts just spin too freely then replace them.

• Member Contributer

Don't use locktight on suspension bolts/nuts, the nuts are nyloc & they don't even use a high torque. If the nuts just spin too freely then replace them.

Actually, not nyloc but rather metal tang locking nuts (that's why you can reuse them). Agreed that you should not use any thread locking adhesive.

.... :unsure:

This is kinda hilarious... I mean... we've all been there. I'm just glad you had enough sense to not take it for a ride.

The rear swingarm setup and dogbone/triangle mount is a bit confusing coming from a normal cantilever setup... Glad you got it sorted!

Archived