Spencer Mod On The Seat

I had posted before about some back issues and some had suggested an aftermarket seat. It got me to looking around some and came to thinking about getting Spencer to mod my seat. He didn't seem to want to say anything about it maybe or maybe not helping out my back but after talking to him some, seems like it would be hard to beat just to help out with some of the butt pain issues. Way cheaper than spending money on something like a Sargent seat or a Corbin's.

Seems like it would be really tuff to beat for the money spent. For the dollar amount, what do you guys think about a Spencer modded VFR seat?

• Member Contributer

Still breaking mine in, i hadnt noticed a thing bothering me (in a good way) around town. I scoot back a bit more on longer rides and that needs some butt time to break in yet. Its hard to say about helping your back and how much the spine may or not absorb bumps but sure he can tailor riding position.

• Member Contributer

Spencer seat mods are money very well spent. Made our Versys all-day comfy and the ST1300 I bought has a Spencer seat and it is fantastic. I will be sending the ST's passenger seat off soon to have him work his magic.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Is Spencer a member or is there a link, contact #, etc.?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I did Spencer's upgrade to the stock seat on my Honda 919 and it has made a huge difference & was well worth the cost. I had been using a Corbin on that bike and didn't like the slippery leather and, what seemed to be, the unnecessary weight. But IMO you can't beat the comfort of the Corbin if you're going to be on the seat all day.

I honestly think the Spencer upgrade makes the seat more comfortable than the Sargent seat that i have on my VFR. I didn't have a back issue so i don't know if it would help for that. The turn around time for me (from the time i shipped the seat to him to having the returned seat in my hands) was 8 days but i did that over the winter a few years ago.

• Member Contributer

As long as the stock shape is fine the Spencer will help. I did the Spencer mod on a KLR OEM seat and it improved things a bit but I am still not there yet!

• Member Contributer

Is Spencer a member or is there a link, contact #, etc.?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Havent yet had a chance to try em out, but I will on the someday list.

http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

Frank (Spencer) modified my stock seat just under 2 years ago. That spring before he modified my seat, I could not ride 50 miles without my rear end being uncomfortable and sore. :sad2: After he modified the seat, I rode about 340 miles (no substantial stops, except for gas) to Orlando that October to pick up a truck (loaded the bike up and drove the truck home). Then in December I rode to Birmingham (Barber Motorsports Museum) and back - 450 miles, round trip. Since then, I have had several 4 and also several 8+ hour days (T-MAC) in the saddle. I can very clearly state that the saddle was never a consideration about how I felt during any of those rides. :tour: My backside and private areas never once pained me on any of those longer days. Frank just plain did an awesome job. :fing02: Single best $ spent on my VFR besides the initial purchase.

I don't care whether its spenser, sargent or whoever, I need the seat 1 inch taller and don't want it wider or any cupped out bs. I was thinking of stopping by sargent to mod the seat, I don't really need their seat, just fix mine. Presently I just run a foam seat pad to give be close to what I want, held in place with stretch elastic.

Spud. Spencer rebuilds your existing seat pan and cover using new foam and shaping. In my case i sent pictures of my riding position along with what i wanted. If there is enough material he can likely raise you up some. Worst case he will have to put a new cover on it.

The other day, tjhess2 came over to my house to give me a hand with the brakes on my bike. I got to sit on his Sargent seat and rode just around the corner and back. I really like the way it sat and it felt like it would be good for the passenger too.

I had contacted Spencer on my seat and it looked like it would be around $90 plus some shipping to have him fix up my seat nicer and do a little something for passenger too.

Lowest price I have seen on a new Sargent is $350.

For those of you that have tried both... do I spend $350 for a Sargent or about $90 plus some shipping for the Spencer modded seat?

I don't really want to drop 350 on a seat but I don't like the idea of spending 100 on a modded seat and then later wish I had just gotten the Sargent to start with.

Seems kind of hard not to want to try the Spencer seat mod, especially for the price difference.

Opinions please and after this, I think I will leave it alone about the seats until I get one or the other.

And thanks for the help on my bike Tom!

• Member Contributer

I know there is a lot of love for the Sargent seat here, and it is better than OEM, but I'm not thrilled with mine. It still jams my nuts into the tank and has some firm edges that leave me sore spots after an all day ride.

• Member Contributer

The Sargent seat looks great and is an improvement over OEM but IMO it is not more comfortable than the Spencer mod.

I don't think you'll regret a Spencer decision.

Archived