91 Vfr Clutch Won't Disengage

mcrwt644

bike has 11353 on it and sat for 12 years.

I bled the clutch as well as cleaned it out and up. Slave cylinder works as it should, but pressure at the handle is just too much, meaning the handle doesn't move very far.

Bike WAS making a noise on that side like the clutch wasn't quite disengaged, but the bike would not roll forward when in neutral.

Bike stopped making this noise after I let it run for about an hour at idle.

I just cannot seem to get the clutch to disengage completely because as soon as I put it in gear, it shuts off.

Any thoughts??

• Member Contributer

On a 91 VFR you can view the clutch plates move through the dip stick hole... you want to see more than

1/8th worth of movement... if the 12 year old fluid was dark brown then rust maybe keeping the slave for

reaching full travel...

Ideally here's how to check your clutch for drag... your gears can't shift
smoothly if your clutch is part way engaged...

1 Place your bike on the center stand...

2 Start engine and establish a steady idle...

3 Squeeze in the clutch and hold... shift into first gear...

4 Now look at the rear wheel... if it's spinning step on the rear brake...
does this action drag down the engine rpms???

If you bike is equipped with an cable then adjust the clutch lever
knob clock wise (out) 1/4 turn and check again check for clutch
drag... if you bike is equipped with hydraulics bleed system and check
for bubbles...

rod is back in bike.

can't put it on a center stand, there is none and it dies immediately when put in gear.

clutch feels more like a brake than a clutch

slave cylinder was disassembled and redone, lightly sanded with 2k grit, cleaned, polished...it works great, but won't disengage the clutch enough

no bur on the rod, it isn't bent as far as I know.

I pulled the entire pack and outer clutch basket and re soaked the clutch in 10 40....it just feels like it WANTS to go, but won't

^not sure, it was like this since I got it, and it sat for 12 years. I thought something was just stuck. Like the clutch noise that was too loud for my liking that all but vanished after about 45 mins of run time today. I'm going to look at the basket tomorrow

• Member Contributer

If your clutch is still locked up try this... set the bike on the center stand... squeeze in the clutch... start the engine... select 1st... keep the clutch lever in and blip the throttle until the clutch plates break free...

I THINK I found the culprit. Although it is better, it will only get worse if I don't replace the seal....while bleeding the clutch today (also after replacing the bent handle which helped, doh!) I noticed bubbles coming from around the seal on the slave...so, I'm going to pull the system off my 95 and check it ...I have about 1/2 of a clutch plate movement with the clutch all the way in right now. Bike still stalls out, but we shall see if I can't remedy that here in the next day or two.

sooo, I swapped the slave and master for another I know works and I still have notta....I'm going to have to find a way to put the bike up and see what is going on. Like I say, I'm only getting about 1/2 a clutch plate diameter's movement out of the clutch. I'm wondering if the rod is bent somehow and not giving me that little 1/16" I need

*update*

re bled clutch from another good working bike...compared rods. Now I have about twice as much movement on the clutch basket side, but still the bike dies when put into gear.

Sidestand switch or clutch switch - it can't be anything else.

You can start a VTR1000F in gear with the clutch pulled in, but not a VFR. So check both those switches.

ok, got it!! I'm not entirely sure what I did, but the bearing that sits inside the outer basket may have been not properly seated. I cleaned up the outer portion of that bearing as well as the inner part of the basket where said bearing lives and tightened everything down. Voila, bike goes into gear with no issue now.

Archived