Carbs Leaking Fuel, Need Advise

Moopjr

I believe this is my first post but I have been lurking/reading for a while now. Anyways here is my situation.

I have a 92VFR750 and recently had the carbs off to free up some stuck choke linkage. While they were off the bike I cleaned them with some JET spray carb cleaner and lubed up all of the moving parts. All seemed well so I re-installed the carbs onto the bike. Got everything hooked back up and went to start the bike(which fired right up) and noticed that there was fuel dripping from the bottom of what seemed to be all 4 carbs. I immediately shut it down but can not pinpoint where it is coming from. Is it possible that the cleaner has destroyed the gaskets and need replacement? Or could a float or two be stuck? The pictures attached show where the fuel seems to be coming from. Any advice or insight is GREATLY appreciated!

p.s. The carbs were not opened up when they were off the bike, simply just sprayed clean and lubed.

Thanks,

John

post-27316-0-28571800-1396749722.jpg

post-27316-0-96146400-1396749729.jpg

• Member Contributer

RUN THE BIKE!!! if the float is stuck run it and the float needle should reseat itself soon.

if that doesn't work you may need to get some new float needles

Thank you for the reply!

I would run it, however these photos were taken an hour after I stopped running it. Maybe I'll try tapping the float bowls and running it again. I was really concerned with how much fuel was coming out and the bike getting hot and a fire starting.

Thanks,

John

I think youre floats are stuck. Tap with the backend of a screwdriver on the float chambers, mostly stuck floats will come looase and start working again.

• Member Contributer

Thank you for the reply!

I would run it, however these photos were taken an hour after I stopped running it. Maybe I'll try tapping the float bowls and running it again. I was really concerned with how much fuel was coming out and the bike getting hot and a fire starting.

Thanks,

John

one other thing.. you wont star a fire like that..

the gas will simply BOIL away...

i do understand your fear.. no one wants a bike on fire..aside from Ghost Rider :wink:

Before should work.

Thanks!

Thank you for the reply!

Thanks,

John

one other thing.. you wont star a fire like that..

the gas will simply BOIL away...

i do understand your fear.. no one wants a bike on fire..aside from Ghost Rider :wink:

Noted.

Some carb cleaners will eat rubber seals… is it possible soaking the outside of the carbs destroyed a seal?

I didn't soak them but I did thoroughly spray them down using the whole can. I then followed that up with some silicone spray and lubed all moving parts.

Thanks for all the replies! I will be trying this afternoon to get it running correctly.

-John

Okay, so I gave it another try and it is still leaking and it looks like it is coming from all 4 carbs. I will pull them back off again.

Can I change just the gaskets that are on the bowls and not have to adjust change anything else or at this point is it best to go through the carbs complete? (I have never taken apart 4 carbs with such linkage, only singles on dirtbikes and such.

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Might be a good idea to give us a little more history on the bike. I saw your "New Member" post so welcome to the forum! Now, is this bike new to you? Been sitting for months or years? How does the inside of the gas tank look? When was the last time it ran? Did it run ok then? Might be some crud in the tank that made it to the bowls and maybe hung a float open. I doubt it would be related to your spray cleaner or a gasket failure. Might be as simple as you got something in a bind on reassembly.

I go the bike May 2013 from a family member who has owned the bike since I beleive 1997/98. The bike obviously has not been ridin to much based off the mileage but this past summer I put about 1500 miles on it and the bike was runing great. About 3 years ago (which I have receipts for) the bike received new tires, new chain and sprockets, new brake pads, plugs/coolant/brake fluid/carbs rebuilt-synced. The only trouble the bike has ever given me was the choke cable was never a smooth pull.

The only reason I took them off in the first place was because last November I went to go for a ride and the choke would not release making the bike not ridable. Turns out that linkage was all gummed up and sticking which is why I spray cleaned and relubed/adjusted the linkage. Cleaning and assembly went pretty well and easy except for the alignment of the cast metal air pan that mounts on top of the carbs(not sure the exact name of the part) which helped me create a few new words and tested my patience(which one the battle) but I was able to get it on eventually.

I hope it is something simple, I wil pull them back off sometime during this week after work and see where I stand.

Thanks again for all the replies!

If anyone has any advice on how to help make things easier or what I should try first I'm all ears :biggrin:

-John

I kinda had this same issue. New float bowl seals worked for me.

There are also seals on top of the carbs under the intake trumpets that can leak--mine were as well.

They are not cheap, but anything other than a new replacement is a temp fix.

Don't ask me how I know.

Or ask, whatever.

• Member Contributer

Even if the float is stuck the fuel should not leak at the seal. The gaskets are shot, dried out. If it ran fine before, fight the urge to mess with settings or touch parts in the float. One little bend and the float level will be off. Unless you know your way around and want to set the float levels. I would just go one at a time, carbs off the bike that is, and replace each one. Thoroughly clean the old gasket off. Have a fresh razor around. My two cents...

Got the gaskets installed and it fired right up with no leaks! Now if I can locate the miss it has at idle and no where else I'll be good.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

Good news! You say a miss? She stumbles at idle? Check plug wires and plugs. You just can't tell its there at higher rpm.

Could also be considered a backfire as you can here it pop or go flat while idling. It runs good and pulls hard otherwise. I'm going to check all wiring tomorrow morning.

• Member Contributer

Could also be considered a backfire as you can here it pop or go flat while idling. It runs good and pulls hard otherwise. I'm going to check all wiring tomorrow morning.

Thats great! It might just need a little "Seafoam" and an Italian tune up. In case you don't know of this "Italian tune up" It means to rev the shit out of it to clean itself out.

Good riding!!!!

It seems that it does not backfire with the choke on but only with the choke off. Could the be an air leak somewhere? It is still very responsive with the throttle also.

I checked all plug wires and they are all tight.

I drained my carbs last fall for winter storage. A few days ago I did the spring wake up work. Switched on the gas, and #3 carb leaked around the float bowl area. Put that down to the rubber gasket drying out. After about an hour, the leak stopped. Checked following day, no leak. Went for a ride, no leak. I have had a similar problem on the fuel tap of an 1982 Honda I own. Leaks for a while in the spring, and then stops.

• Member Contributer

It seems that it does not backfire with the choke on but only with the choke off. Could the be an air leak somewhere? It is still very responsive with the throttle also.

I checked all plug wires and they are all tight.

FYI, I was just running a project bike of mine and it was popping like crazy. I realized that she was low on gas and the gas was crappy too. Fresh fuel and she sings now.

Archived