Key Turns, Nothing Happens

Crewwolfy

So after some help from the Mad Scientist, and some fiddling of my own, it turns out the ignition module cables cracked at a bend.

Cut the wires, soldered in replacements, heat shrink tubing, electrical tape, and some hot glue to cover the base.

It's a temporary solution (considering my soldering skills), but I'm getting steady readings.

I'll be installing the module this weekend, and will post back up after a few spirited rides this coming week.

Thanks for the help, all.

2014 04 04 20.16.40

(The Eugene porter is stage right, off screen..)

• Member Contributer

Wow that's a first !!!!

Agreed!! ..and here I was going to offer to ride over with my electrical tape and soldering gun tomorrow!

• Member Contributer

Sorry, 5th gen.

The side stand switch was removed by previous owner. I'll take a look at the circuit.

I'm curious to know why someone would remove such a great safety device?

• Member Contributer

Sorry, 5th gen.

The side stand switch was removed by previous owner. I'll take a look at the circuit.

It seems like a stupid added devise until you crash a bike because of the kickstand. BTW, I only came very close to doing just that.

• Member Contributer

Sorry, 5th gen.

It seems like a stupid added devise until you crash a bike because of the kickstand. BTW, I only came very close to doing just that.

I have seen it in person, at a bank parking lot no less.

• Member Contributer

Sidestand switch probably went bad. Cheaper to remove it than fix it.

Sometimes I don't even realized I've put the side stand up but it's very nice to have a device that will keep me from throwing myself into a ditch, a guardrail, rock wall, off a cliff. Surely salvage yard pars are plentiful. Dude has a motorcycle but he can't afford to maintain it? "As long as I've got enough money to put gas in it, I'll just keep riding it until the tires fall off. What's the worse that can happen?"

• Member Contributer

I'm not saying it is a good excuse, but just the most likely one. Can't think of anything else remotely likely, it doesn't really weigh much and it isn't in the way while performing usual maintenance.

I don't know why people remove the side stand sensor, unless it is indeed broken. But I've bought two bikes, and both have had the sensor removed. I've had a couple butt-clenching moments because of that, but not recently.

At any rate, took the bike out to do some chores, and the little guy performed like a champ. Onto the next problem area: mirrors..

• 4 months later...

I'm having the same kind of problem with my bike as well. I've checked all fuses, and my battery is good. I bypassed my key switch and my bike now runs off a toggle switch. I have power at my switch (12.58V) but that is where it ends. I have even hooked the wires together and still nothing. I'm kinda lost on this one so if anyone has any kind of idea please let me know. I do get power every now and then. My starter relay is new and my main fuse is good as well.

Removing the side stand safety switch is, to be impolite, really stupid. I've personally seen two instances where someone rode off with the side stand down. In once case the rider got lucky because we all yelled at him. The other case resulted in a crash on the first lefthander. (Deals Gap). More than once I've warmed up the bike, slipped into first gear, and wondered why the engine stalled. It's easy to get distracted and forget.

• Member Contributer

Removing the side stand safety switch is, to be impolite, really stupid. I've personally seen two instances where someone rode off with the side stand down. In once case the rider got lucky because we all yelled at him. The other case resulted in a crash on the first lefthander. (Deals Gap). More than once I've warmed up the bike, slipped into first gear, and wondered why the engine stalled. It's easy to get distracted and forget.

Have not seen the 5th gen this weekend ...

Archived