Specs Question

Does anyone know for sure what all the changes were to the 3rd gen bikes sold in California as compared to the 49 state ones? I know it was mostly emissions stuff, but anyone know the specifics of all the changes? Thanks guys.

I've got the Clymer, but it doesn't go into specifics with the exception of having the extra step to disconnect part x on California models on the instructions.

Or is there another manual I need to download?

• Member Contributer

I heard the cams differ from 91 to 92, but I didn't know about CA only bikes. Stock jetting is different on CA bikes.

Thank you one and all. Looks like the part numbers for the fuel tank are also different between the models. Would explain why I ran out of juice after only 180 miles, and a mere 3.5 gallons. Looks like I have to keep that little tidbit in the back of my mind when I ride longer distances.

Scratch that, looking at the Honda manual, it appears as if bot the Cali and 49 state bikes have 5 gallon tanks. So I'm stumped again as to why I ran out of fuel and the bike only taking 3.5 gallons. Hmmmm. Anyone have any ideas?

• Member Contributer

Does your 3.5 gallons include your reserve? Either way, that number seems off. It should be closer to 4.2 or more US gallons before you use the reserve.

The 3.5 gallons was with the fuel gauge on the red and the fuel light on. I don't have any way of switching into reserve like on my wife's 92 CBR F2. Is there a petcock that I'm not aware of that I can change over to reserve?

• Member Contributer

The fuel light is notorious for coming on very early on our bikes. Mine lights up with 1.3-1.5 gallons left.

There should be a petcock under the tank, behind the forward part of the seat on the left hand side.

• Member Contributer

indeed, no reserve on a 4th gen.

But some of the -later?- 3rd gens had this knob on/in the left fairing panels...

not sure if a '90 had it already...

• Member Contributer

I've ran 60+ miles with that light on. It comes on very early, and the gauge points to red very early. It doesn't mean it.

I barely got into the gas station as the thing sputtered and died. 3.5 gallons to fill it, few seconds of thumming the starter to get the fuel circulated, and it fired to life and good as new. Apparently on mine, it really does mean it. Stumped as hell on this one.

• Member Contributer

you could be leaking gas. at higher RPM. the carbs may be dumping the gas in the overflow tubes

take the side panels off

put the bike on the center stand and hold it at 9000 rpm for a good minute

if it dumping gas you should see something by then.

like a puddle starting to form under the bike. or gas bubbling off the VEE area

• Member Contributer

Is there something in your tank? It's the only thing that makes sense. While I think 5 gallons may be optimistic, I certainly have gotten a lot closer to that mark than you have.

I don't think there's anything in there. That's why I was asking the original question. Thought perhaps the airbox design might have been different, or some emissions stuff being under there in the Cali models therefore making the tank smaller. But that doesn't appear to be the case. Its driving me nuts!

• Member Contributer

I don't think there's anything in there. That's why I was asking the original question. Thought perhaps the airbox design might have been different, or some emissions stuff being under there in the Cali models therefore making the tank smaller. But that doesn't appear to be the case. Its driving me nuts

did you try my suggestion?

or dismiss it like my ground wire and PAIR mods? you came to the site for a reason. to get your bike running properly.. and the guy that sends you tips is a honda certified tech .

you don't think think you can be dumping fuel above certain rpm? i have seen a 91 get just 22 mpg thanks to dumped fuel..

have you ever had your tank off at all and see if its seeping gas at the petcock?

is your gas line leaking at pressure?

is your pump leaking while on?

and my favorite of all time.. IS YOUR PUMP SMELLING LIKE BURNING PLASTIC????

is the bottom dented?

are you sure you got a 5 full gallons in there ?

did you go by cost or by a volume at the pump?

so feel free to dismiss me .clearly i dont know crap about these bikes.

if you smell burnt plastic at your fuel pump. it means your balls will be toasted soon.as the pump is leaking into the pionts area of the pump and will be a full blown fire soon. been there done that. on 7 VFRs

• Member Contributer

I think the OP's issue is from running out of gas pulling into a gas station to topping off the tank, she only took 3.5 gallons. Hence, a leak wouldn't contribute to that issue, whether it exists or not. His issue is with capacity, not economy. 180 miles on 3.5 gallons is 50+mpg, not too bad.

Either a previous owner forgot to take his brick of coke outta the tank, it's dented from underneath, the tank itself is not OEM, or the petcock intake straw is higher than it's supposed to be. My best guess, anyways. Either way, it seems like some tools and a flashlight could solve this mystery pretty quickly.

Archived