Honda Cb900F Rebuild

zoomzoom

Question

• Member Contributer

I have a quick question for the various members here. Quite a while back I thought I remembered a member here showing a build thread on CB900F. After searching the site looking for it, I was unable to find the thread anywhere. Does anyone remember the member's name or could anyone send me a link to the thread.

Thanks for the help. One of the first bikes I ever owned was a CB900F and I recently found one for sale in my hometown and that got the wheels turning.

http://classifieds.castanet.net/details/classic_82_honda_cb900f/1287148/

Here is a link to the picture of the bike in question. It looks as though it may need a bit of work, but looks to be in fairly decent shape.

9 answers to this question

That was me. Looks like my thread got wiped as it was in the "other than vfr" forum...

I had posted it on a couple other sites too. One requires membership to view, this one doesn't:

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38926

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47081

Or, if you prefer, you can peruse the 400+ pics I took during the build by checking out my photobucket album here:

http://s8.photobucket.com/user/SEBSPEED2003/library/1981%20CB900F

The linked bike looks like an ok buy. Taking into account that Canadian prices are usually a bit higher, and that the bike has a $4-500 set of carbs on it, it's not a bad price. Paint is not original so I would be wary of what it is covering and how it looks when it's not wet... If all is legit and in good working order, it's a fair price.

Here's one pic of my 99%'er (there's always something left to finish!)

3458122D-5EC0-4ECF-91B6-CC5ADB66EC09-193

Before...

cb900fproject.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks Seb

Should have known it was you who did the build. LOL. Next time I have a question like this, I'll search your posts first. :)

• Member Contributer

Offer 'im a $1000 cash, see if he'll bite. Then it would be a steal.

When looking at the ad I noticed that it had had almost 4000 views. Since Castanet is a small town website (unlike say Kijiji or Craiglist) and the ad has been up only since Jan 3rd of this year, I am inclined to think that it has been up for a while. I think I may ask to see the bike and then make him an offer below his asking price. Thought maybe I would start at $800 and see what happens. You can always go up from your original bid but you can not go down.

In case I need some extra parts, do you still have available bits that I could purchase from you Seb, should the need arise?? I'm not sure I want to build a cafe racer of Seb's quality, more of a stock look with a few upgrades maybe. Some upgraded front suspension and some upgraded rear suspension bits might be in order. I think any upgraded exhaust would likely be a custom type deal and I don't think I have that particular skill set. YET!! :)

• Member Contributer

Hey ZZ, that bike has for sale for a long time. I remember seeing it advertised for sale since early last year.

And pretty sure I saw it with a for sale sign parked on Ziprick road last summer .

Jan.3 is when he last renewed the ad.

I'd lowball it and see what happens.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the words of advice and encouragement. This truly is a great site.

I guess if I buy the CB900F I will have to post the pics on a different site, correct. After all, this is the VFR site. LOL

Offer 'im a $1000 cash, see if he'll bite. Then it would be a steal.

When looking at the ad I noticed that it had had almost 4000 views. Since Castanet is a small town website (unlike say Kijiji or Craiglist) and the ad has been up only since Jan 3rd of this year, I am inclined to think that it has been up for a while. I think I may ask to see the bike and then make him an offer below his asking price. Thought maybe I would start at $800 and see what happens. You can always go up from your original bid but you can not go down.

In case I need some extra parts, do you still have available bits that I could purchase from you Seb, should the need arise?? I'm not sure I want to build a cafe racer of Seb's quality, more of a stock look with a few upgrades maybe. Some upgraded front suspension and some upgraded rear suspension bits might be in order. I think any upgraded exhaust would likely be a custom type deal and I don't think I have that particular skill set. YET!! :)

I think I still have the front end and brakes, and the wheels, but that's about it. I sold most of the stock bits as they came off, to finance the new replacement parts.

Seb, whenever I see the "before" pic, I'm amazed that you were able to clean off all the snot on that bike.

Said it before, but great work.

Thank you Robbie. It was a labor of love, and when I think back on it, I had a lot of fun building it.

Archived