About To Replace Crankcase Cover...need Advice...

Guest OakVFR

OK Gang,

My crankcase cover will be here soon and I am prepping to install it...I called Honda and they said there is no gasket, that I would need to use some Honda silicone gasket stuff that I put on by hand...

This has me worried...when I pull the crankcase cover gasket off, how much of that stuff am I going to have to clean off in order to put the new stuff on?

I thought there was a gasket under there and I could simply swap gaskets...

Any advice on this? I am seriously thinking about sending the cover back and ordering the crankcase cover another member posted about...that seems a lot easier and safer!

• Member Contributer

this is so simple .. dont over think it.

take off the cover.

use your finger and "ball up' the old silicone..

the stuff you want to buy..

hondabond ,yamabond , yomommabona.... its all the same crap "permatext ultra grey".. and apply and bead all the way around the surface on the cover smear flat. place on motor.. follow instructions for tighting pattern if there is one.

And clean both surfaces with some carb cleaner or brake parts cleaner before applying the sealer. The cleaner your surfaces, the better the seal. Oil on the surface can cause a leak.

got her done today gang...

I was really surprised by the lack of gasket sealer on the stock cover...most of the areas were metal on metal....

I put a small amount of the gasket sealer all around the motor side and cleaned it up as best I could before doing that...

The only hiccup was some type of sensor that is bolted inside the cover...It's two bolts and a rubber grommet that keeps oil from coming out on the side of the cover...

Not easy holding the cover steady, lining up the cover and making sure the grommet is perfectly aligned...lol.

How long before that gasket sealant dries? I want to run the bike for a few minutes and check for leaks.

I was really surprised by the lack of gasket sealer on the stock cover...most of the areas were metal on metal....

Well machined and toleranced parts mate tight without need for gasketing. I used to play with RC engines quite a bit, and the best ones have crankcase halves that fit together AL to AL. These are 2stroke engines that induct fuel-air mixture through the crankcase, so there is rapid pressure/vacuum fluctuation. Any leak would be detrimental to performance.

So... I would chalk this one up as a testament to Honda quality. :smile2:

• Member Contributer

got her done today gang...

I put a small amount of the gasket sealer all around the motor side and cleaned it up as best I could before doing that...

The only hiccup was some type of sensor that is bolted inside the cover...It's two bolts and a rubber grommet that keeps oil from coming out on the side of the cover...

Not easy holding the cover steady, lining up the cover and making sure the grommet is perfectly aligned...lol.

How long before that gasket sealant dries? I want to run the bike for a few minutes and check for leaks.

Don't pinch the sensor wires ...

:goofy::goofy::goofy:

Archived