Brake Suggestions Needed

gig

• Member Contributer

Brake mod poll thread started! :cool:

Is ditching the linked brake system fairly common?

I dont think so, but some of us determined fooles just gotta do it. I'm glad I did. (Hey there's a poll for a count.)

I've installed a lot of aftermarket brake lines, but I'm not very familiar with the linked brakes on the VFR. I have very limited experience riding with the system too. I was curious if those who did it find it to be a noticeable improvement or otherwise.

It probly goes more with riding styles. My roots are in motocross so separate brakes are ingrained in my brain. True or not, I feel I have more control over the what is going on. If I want front only, I can do that, and if I want rear only or a blend, I control how much and when. Thats what I like. (The RC51 calipers are great)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Call for gig again -- did you get what you need?

• Member Contributer

Brake mod poll thread started! :cool:

Is ditching the linked brake system fairly common?

I dont think so, but some of us determined fooles just gotta do it. I'm glad I did. (Hey there's a poll for a count.)

I've installed a lot of aftermarket brake lines, but I'm not very familiar with the linked brakes on the VFR. I have very limited experience riding with the system too. I was curious if those who did it find it to be a noticeable improvement or otherwise.

It probly goes more with riding styles. My roots are in motocross so separate brakes are ingrained in my brain. True or not, I feel I have more control over the what is going on. If I want front only, I can do that, and if I want rear only or a blend, I control how much and when. Thats what I like. (The RC51 calipers are great)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Call for gig again -- did you get what you need?

Interesting point. I don't have any motocross background and rarely touch my rear brake. On track, sometimes I use it to settle the bike before using the fronts aggressively for a turn. I agree, I like the RC51 calipers, but I am a huge Brembo fan and have had my best results with them.

• Member Contributer

its all good, A good debate is always good for weighing out difference of opinions to make educated an decision for what is best over all, regardless of what congress thinks. Thanks so much for all the impute!

• Member Contributer

I now also have one rear line through the swingarm, sooo nice!

Do you have install pics? Just ordered lines and fittings for this myself.

Pm them to you Sat. Morning. Surprisingly simple and did not take long.

Thanks, just curious about the front entry point.

• Member Contributer

Use the small square that is already there on the inside edge of the swingarm, toward the front. I used a pre-made line so I had to open up the hole a little that was already their at the rear, below. Thread it from the back to the front. You will see the line when you look in the small square opening, then just grab it with some safety wire, arch it over and connect it to the master at the pedal. Mohawk helped me out too.

I'm with mello dude, I have just about all I need to delink the brakes as I'm not a huge fan of them due to my riding style which uses a lot of rear brake when riding hard to trail brake into corners and settle the bike. Also I'm all for trying to lighten the bike and replacing all the linked components must surely save a little weight. Vtr lowers, cbr954 fireblade calipers, cbr600rr 2004 model front brake master cylinder 5/8 bore, cbr600f4i rear brake master cylinder and new wave discs are ready. Mello dude's fender adapter brackets are in the mail as well to oz. once mounted I'll get some braided lines measured and made up and post some pics of the finished product.

• Member Contributer

Trail braking has more to do with when/how you are braking than which brake you are using. I've used the linked brakes on my 5th gen successfully on the track, on dirt roads, and in the rain. If you understand how they work, and use them accordingly there is no need to de-link. It does make maintenance easier, but not enough to justify eliminating the advantages IMHO. If that's a major consideration for you then mod away.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Use the small square that is already there on the inside edge of the swingarm, toward the front. I used a pre-made line so I had to open up the hole a little that was already their at the rear, below. Thread it from the back to the front. You will see the line when you look in the small square opening, then just grab it with some safety wire, arch it over and connect it to the master at the pedal. Mohawk helped me out too.
Interested to see pics of the routing from there. I can't see a clean way to put the line from the master without going around the heat shield and resting on the header?

• Member Contributer

I was always use to trail braking into the curves but now with the link brakes I rarely touch the brakes at all.

You used to trail brake with your front brakes or rear brake?

In the old days backs only and downing shifting but now I use front and back brakes and down shift only after speed has reduce , pads are cheaper then motors. Straight out of Keith Code mc driving school.

I understand how link brakes work ....

• Member Contributer

I was always use to trail braking into the curves but now with the link brakes I rarely touch the brakes at all.

You used to trail brake with your front brakes or rear brake?

In the old days backs only and downing shifting but now I use front and back brakes and down shift only after speed has reduce , pads are cheaper then motors. Straight out of Keith Code mc driving school.

I understand how link brakes work ....

I never found the rear brake to be very effective when trail braking, nor do I rely on the engine as a brake either. Occasionally, I might gently tap the rear to tighten up mid turn, but it is rare. On the other hand, I frequently will trail brake with the fronts only until just before the apex of a corner.

• Member Contributer

Interested to see pics of the routing from there. I can't see a clean way to put the line from the master without going around the heat shield and resting on the header?

post-25867-0-72956400-1386453888.jpg

post-25867-0-79301400-1386453911.jpg

post-25867-0-94406800-1386453926.jpg

post-25867-0-80565500-1386453944.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Decided on Hel SS lines without delink. Install was straight forward but very time consuming along w/ filling and bleeding empty linked lines, installing speedbleeders after filling made bleeding much easier. Brakes feel great, very firm, exactly what i was looking for, and even better then i was expecting.

Thanks for all of the input.

• Like 1