Vfr 1200 Side Case Options

dynajohn

I have been looking into getting a set of side cases for my 2013 VFR and need input from guys who already have either Givi or OEM Honda cases.

I have been looking into the Givi V35's with the SW Motech quick release side mounts. How do these compare to the stock OEM Honda sidecases? The only thing I don't like with the Givi's is the hardware mounts which I don't like the looks of when the cases are removed. I have not seen a set of the OEM Honda cases mounted but I don't think they require additional side mounts. The Honda cases also look larger than the V35's and the Honda dealer says they will fit a full face helmet inside which I don't think the V35's will.

Is there any difference in quality between the givi & OEM Honda side cases? I have priced both and I can get the Honda cases for $300 more than the Givi's with the Motech mounts. My experience is it is hard to beat Honda OEM assesories but I am open to others opinions.

All is not as it appears there my friend. I did NOT go with the Honda cases because they're much too small for 2-up touring (IMO) at just 29 liters each, and I don't believe they will hold a full face helmet under any circumstances. The lack of any external mounting hardware is certainly a plus on their side once the cases come off, although I think the factory cases actually sit much higher on the bike than the Givis. Because of that I don't think they complement the lines of the bike as well, but that's just my opinion. I love how the Givi cases and Givi brackets give the bike (dare I say) an Italian look to it. The Givi V35s at 34 and some change liters apiece will definitely hold a full face helmet unless it's like an XL shell which is true for some lids. The Givis also have a removable panel that can be painted if you choose, but since neither the wife or I can seem to get on and off the bike without kicking the case tops at least once in awhile (we're both around 5'8"), I just left mine matte black. A buddy who's gone touring with me on his C-14 says the reflectors on the backs of the cases are absolutely unbelievable as far as how reflective they are. He says they're way more noticeable than my tail light in the dark. I went with the Givi brackets myself because of the nicer grab handles which I think the wife appreciates (I hated losing those sexy ass stock grab handles). The Motech brackets tuck the cases in just a scoche tighter, but honestly they're so wide that the difference is insignificant IMO. As far as the quick release feature of the Motech brackets go...they're certainly nice, but I never really take the cases off except to wash the bike, so it's a moot point for me. I'd rate the Givis quality as very good, but don't buy their case liners which are total crap. As luck would have it, my old FJR case liners fit like they were made for them and are MUCH better quality. You can find those on Ebay all day long. I can't speak to the quality of the Honda cases, as I never gave them a second look once I saw how small they were. Another plus for the Givis is they can always be fitted to another bike down the road (figuratively speaking :wink: ). So all in all it comes down to what your plans are for the cases, but I'm 99% sure the Honda cases won't hold a FFH. I'm sure someone here will correct me QUICKLY if I'm wrong, but the Givis hold my AGVs just fine. And with cases on...I prefer the look of the Givis. Again, just MHO.

IMAG1821_zpse91b2aa0.jpg

Thanks Dave, thats the kind of input i am looking for. Thanks for the tip on the Givi liners, I would have bought them. Loved the liners that came with my FJR. The wife doesn't ride with me anymore so thats not a consideration.

the oem bags tuck in nicely and there are no mounts to disturb the looks when the bags are off.

if oem bags weren't available, I would have no problems with the Givis... Givi makes the color matched bags for the Ninja 1000 I had, and they were great (but stuck out a bit far)

I like the looks of the Honda bags, and they hold plenty for me. I can live out of my tankbag for a week, so they're plenty big.

In fact, I don't always travel with the saddlebags, usually a tank bag and a small duffel strapped to the seat with Rox straps thru the bag mount slots.

I take my helmet with me everywhere, so I never depend on a saddlebag to hold a helmet....and if you're on the road and they're full of gear already...

P1030820_zps165047ea.jpg

P1030826_zps1aea987f.jpg

i have found the OEM bags to be excellent, though I do not camp, always stay in motels and I have the top box as well. The advantages are single key, colour matching and when removed there is no evidence the side bags were ever there. The top box leaves a bracket but all top boxes do. I went away for ten days recently and covered 4300 kms.

Here is what I was able to pack and still shed some layers of clothes into the top box as it got hotter.

post-23773-0-43574900-1386147078.jpg

The VFR still looks quite sporty with all these panniers on.

post-23773-0-92912500-1386147241.jpg

Both the top box and the non exhaust side pannier will take a full face helmet if empty. I understand from other postings on this site that Honda now have a larger top box which will take two helmets. However I quite like the sleeker look of the small top box especially if you go for a day ride and leave the panniers at the motel.

The fit and finish is very good, and rubber seals keep everything dry.

post-23773-0-84829000-1386147588.jpg

OEM panniers since I like the integrated side mounts. I already had a 46L (or 50L, I can't remember) top case that I use if I really need to haul stuff. I can fit a weeks worth of clothes in the OEM saddlebags and not much more.

photo_zps59942745.jpg

For form fitting and overall looks, you cannot beat Honda OEM bags.

I went with the V35 because:

1. They will fit my Shoei X11 XL - though just barely - whereas the Honda bags will not. I tried at a dealer for a long while and gave up. It's not a big deal, but having the option to put the lid in any of the 3 cases is a big plus.

2. I prefer to have option of transferring the V35s to my other/next bike. A lot of the bikes I'm interested in have V35 rack options (R1200R and Ninja 1000, for example). I'm thinking about fabbing up a V35 rack for the S3R, so I can hang them on either bike.

3. I can get them in unpainted black or generic silver. I keep thinking about upgrading to an '12 VFR1200 and so having body matched bags is actually a minus in my book.

4. They are less expensive.

I went with the Motech racks because:

1.They are quick release. Very often, I just leaving the racks on though, with the optional locking knobs, of course. To me, they don't look that much out of place and actually give the bike a sport touring attitude even if the bags aren't there. Again, nice to have the option of QR.

2. I also wanted the Motech Alu rack for top case. I prefer it to Givi's own top rack. Motech's Alu rack vary in robustness from application to application. I've had some that are kinda weak and flexy, but this one on the VFR1200 is very stout and holds the E55 plus a good bit of load with absolutely no problem. Plus it integrates with the Motech V35 racks perfectly (actually sharing a bracket, so I have a spare out of the two kits).

I think I've posted some pics of my setup but I'll have to dig them up and repost.

• Member Contributer

If you want to spend good coin, go check out Hepco Becker bags. They are seriously well built bags. They are heavier than the GIVI/OEM ones, but that's the tradeoff. I got to handle some at a MC show, and they made my GIVI E45s feel like a kids plaything.

• Member Contributer

I also like the OEM solution since the mounts are already there. I have the top box also and it holds my helmet although I don't know why that is so important because the helmet is either on or with me when I stop to eat.

I'm also a light packer so the OEM stuff is more than enough. I could have gotten by with just the side cases but I was offered the top box for a good price (bought all 3 bags used) so I took it. I really enjoy just having to use 1 key for everything.

For form fitting and overall looks, you cannot beat Honda OEM bags.

I went with the V35 because:

1. They will fit my Shoei X11 XL - though just barely - whereas the Honda bags will not. I tried at a dealer for a long while and gave up. It's not a big deal, but having the option to put the lid in any of the 3 cases is a big plus.

2. I prefer to have option of transferring the V35s to my other/next bike. A lot of the bikes I'm interested in have V35 rack options (R1200R and Ninja 1000, for example). I'm thinking about fabbing up a V35 rack for the S3R, so I can hang them on either bike.

3. I can get them in unpainted black or generic silver. I keep thinking about upgrading to an '12 VFR1200 and so having body matched bags is actually a minus in my book.

4. They are less expensive.

I went with the Motech racks because:

1.They are quick release. Very often, I just leaving the racks on though, with the optional locking knobs, of course. To me, they don't look that much out of place and actually give the bike a sport touring attitude even if the bags aren't there. Again, nice to have the option of QR.

2. I also wanted the Motech Alu rack for top case. I prefer it to Givi's own top rack. Motech's Alu rack vary in robustness from application to application. I've had some that are kinda weak and flexy, but this one on the VFR1200 is very stout and holds the E55 plus a good bit of load with absolutely no problem. Plus it integrates with the Motech V35 racks perfectly (actually sharing a bracket, so I have a spare out of the two kits).

I think I've posted some pics of my setup but I'll have to dig them up and repost.

+1 to everything Volfy said. The quick-release racks are awesome.

I'm just not a fan of how the stock ones look. Size difference and price sealed the deal for me.

I would just add 2 points:

1. For me, the larger V35 is actually more useful for commuting and en-route chores, I have on several occasions packed both V35s and the Givi V46 full of stuff, which kicked out my commuter backpack to be strapped on me. On weekend tours, I don't really pack that much. I usually leave the E55 mostly empty for throwing in my helmet, gear, and nicknacks, so I can walk into restaurants and gas stations handsfree.

2. Yes, the Givi V35 bag liners are CRAP. I bought them dirt cheap from TwistedThrottle clearance section because the plastic plates that are supposed to stiffen up the bottom of the bags were shattered into million pieces on both bags. Doesn't affect functionality much, but I would NOT pay the regular price for them.

the oem bags tuck in nicely and there are no mounts to disturb the looks when the bags are off.

if oem bags weren't available, I would have no problems with the Givis... Givi makes the color matched bags for the Ninja 1000 I had, and they were great (but stuck out a bit far)

I like the looks of the Honda bags, and they hold plenty for me. I can live out of my tankbag for a week, so they're plenty big.

In fact, I don't always travel with the saddlebags, usually a tank bag and a small duffel strapped to the seat with Rox straps thru the bag mount slots.

I take my helmet with me everywhere, so I never depend on a saddlebag to hold a helmet....and if you're on the road and they're full of gear already...

P1030820_zps165047ea.jpg

Well, since Blake showed his ass, I figured I had to show mine. :wink:

It's certainly the view I like the least.

IMAG1823_zps9487a588.jpg

I guess I was totally wrong about the oem cases sitting higher.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

May be you should of bought a pan European or a Goldwing.

:warranty:

I'm waiting for someone to come out with a box, for it, that extends from the left case, over the passenger seat to the right box, think of an upside down 'U', with storage compartments and such, LOL.

I'm waiting for someone to come out with a box, for it, that extends from the left case, over the passenger seat to the right box, think of an upside down 'U', with storage compartments and such, LOL.

Talk to this guy:

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,82346.0.html#.Uq9KFvRDsdY

integral_luggage_1_zps538d4cab.jpg

I assume the Honda cases fit into the four recesses at the rear of the bike. Where do they lock in at the bottom? Does Honda use the passenger foot peg brackets or is there additional hardware that mounts on the bike. That's where my FJR cases locked in at the bottom.

There is a little rubber stopper that attaches to the passenger pegs. If you buy the saddlebags used, make sure those stoppers are included. I had to source mine from the UK and it wasn't cheap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

Archived