Led Voltage Meters, Red, Green, Or Blue Best In The Sunlight?

The mailman

• Member Contributer

I installed a small LCD voltage meter on my last VFR and I could easily see the black numerals on the grey background in the sunlight. Now I can't find LCD meters but this LED looks very similar to what I had and is available in either red, green or blue LED versions. My question is if anyone has discovered that one color is better than the other in direct sunlight.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-DC2-5-30V-Digital-Display-LED-Panel-Voltage-Meter-Battery-Voltmeter-/251345104254?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3a8555ed7e#ht_9270wt_917

• Member Contributer

I have a Datel voltmeter installed on my bike and it has a red LED display. Honestly not that easy to see with the sun shining directly on the display. Could be the reflection of the plastic screen covering the LED display.

If you go in order of sensitivity to our eyes, green should be more readily seen red, which is more readily seen then blue. However, not really knowing the specs of the LEDs being used, or how they are being driven, it's pretty much a dice roll on which would be readable in direct sunlight. I agree with zoomzoom though about sun glare. Your best bet is to try and install it somewhere/somehow that it won't have direct sunlight or reflect the sunlight to your eyes. Maybe even make a hood for it to help block the sun.

• Member Contributer

From personal experience I can say that the blue is pretty worthless in the sun. I tried the LCD but the one I had wasn't waterproof and the first bike wash trashed it.

• Member Contributer

I have the Datel with red and I live in a very sunny state (AZ), no issues at with seeing the meter. I think one factor in your equation is the placement.

+eb0

The reason why police cars have both red and blue lights on the roof is because red is seen better in daylight and blue is seen better at night.

Be careful about placement though. I had some lighted switches for heated gear last year and the lights bugged the crap outta me.

Archived