2003 Vfr800 - High Idle Revs, Takes Time Decrease

danielvfr

Hi guys,

Well, I have this annoying problem:

When starting the engine (cold start - in the morning/after 6 hours and more), the revs are at 2000 RPM. The problem is, after a 10KM ride to work (avg speed of 100KMH and temp reaches over 100 Celsius) , the revs wont go down!!

if i switch off (after the above ride) and switch on again after an hour of so, the revs are ok (1500).

Today was exceptionally hot (30 Celsius) and there was no revs problem.

What could the problem be?

Plugs, air filter, cooling system, everything is in tip top condition. Perhaps its related to the oxygen sensors?

milage - 100k.

Please advise

thanks

Could be your wax unit.

That controls your high idle at startup and is supposed to cause the idle to decrease after its warm. (its a bi-metallic spring) so at different temps its supposed to raise and then decrease your idle).

I managed to mess mine up during the last throttle body sync so i'm going to try fix it this fall. (now i just have to goose the throttle a touch at start up or the bike dies out).

good luck.

That's the unit. However somebody on this forum has replaced there's and did a write up about it. (looks like you need to remove more than just the airbox to replace the unit). from the cartoon it looks easy.

Before you decide thats the problem if you remove the airbox you can see the unit. I'd watch it during running and see what's up.

Again i haven't replaced mine but know i played with it (if you touch is during throttle body sync it will raise the idle) which is why i think i did something to mine now that it doesn't seem to work. (hopefully i just laid the vacuum lines over it or something simple that will get i working again).

Good luck, If i wasn't overwhelmed with a house project i'd try to get mine in order to offer advice. Sorry but it will be a few weeks before i mess with mine.

triharder, its very easy to bend the starter rod which is a thin rod that goes from the wax assembly to the other side of the throttle body. This rod is "in the way" when trying to remove the vacuum lines from the 5 way joint. I slightly bent mine, ordered another, looks like it will be real fun to put in with small split pins etc. Other than the rod, or as you mention possible obstruction not really sure what you could have done to upset it. It has a nut on it that you aren't suppose to adjust its set from the factory

• 2 months later...

Well, time goes by and I haven't had the chance to fiddle around with my bike. This problem remains of course - I've noticed that this problem is a function of external temperature.

On hot days (20+ C) it does not appear.

On cold days...... holy cow. Check this video out, It was shot right after my ride to work.

External temp - 6 c.

Engine temp - 98+ c.

Riding distance - 15 km.

Bike is in neutral of course. revs are up to 4k!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgOy35mDbKQ

Any thoughts beyond the wax unit?

• Member Contributer

Yes it does. When I rev quickly and release it returns to its initial position.

You mean it returns to the normal position and the rpm's return to normal

• Member Contributer

Ok your gonna have to tilt the tank back and remove the airfilter box. To me if it's NOT the wax unit then one of the butterflies must be hanging up. So start it and see if the butterflies are stuck, if they are and YOU fill comfortable with taking a long screw pushing down so as to close the butterflies and see if they close. If not then clean the butterflies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Any updates? Reason is that within the Dutch VFR community some also have similar issues. So sharing some info /status might help.

• 1 year later...

Update (took me a while I know).

Since changing the wax unit did not help the problem, I had my injectors and throttle body cleaned thoroughly and the problem disappeared completely.

Archived