My Numbers...your Thoughts

CHUCK2

• Member Contributer

Here's my stator/charging test results:

Voltage @ Battery (1st use of new AC Delco battery)

Cold Hot

Key off 13.13 ?

Key on 12.14 12.77

1000 rpm 13.20 12.9

1600 rpm 14.06 ?

5000 rpm 13.72 13.72

Stator Tests

Pin to Pin Resistance (meter set @ 200)

Cold Hot

.2 .3

.3 .3

.3 .3

No Continuity Cold or Hot

Pin to Pin AC Volts

Cool Hot

Idle 17.5 19.0 19.0 20.0 19.8 20.4

5000 rpm 65.5 67.5 65.0 64.0 64.0 66.0

** Stator wires quickly got hot on R/R side of connector **

So...what do you think??

• Member Contributer

The only thing that looks questionable is the voltage at battery at 5k. It is within spec (I think the limit is 13.6), so its not dire, but a VFRness gave me an extra volt and is very stable.

• Member Contributer

Cold Hot

Key off 13.13 ?

Key on 12.14 12.77

1000 rpm 13.20 12.9

1600 rpm 14.06 ?

5000 rpm 13.72 13.72

Stator Tests

Cold Hot

.2 .3

.3 .3

.3 .3

Pin to Pin AC Volts

Cool Hot

So...what do you think??

First - great chart on real numbers that we can work with.

Next your stator is working fine.

Then, it looks like you have a stock OEM R/R that eventually over time, the voltage drops out of spec as you rev it. Your on the border line now. I cant count how many 5th genners have been stranded because of the stocker R/R voltage drop tenancy. Mine did it, and I just did a repair job on a buddy's ride with an R/R upgrade. -- The mileage on mine was in the area of 13k and my friends was 18k range.

-

Plan on a new R/R at some point. - What mileage is on your '98?

:cool:

• Member Contributer

Mine has 14k on it. Several years (a few thousand miles) ago I replaced the R/R with a factory one from the dealer. I remember them saying there was something different about it. I forgot what it was though.

I'm thinking that I should do something about the yellow wires getting hot but not sure what.

Oh and thanks for the compliment about the chart.

• Member Contributer

I'm not sure how you tested the stator without disconnecting the RR, Maybe the test procedure is different with you gen. Without taking the RR apart which I do not recommend, there isn't much you can do about your yellow wires. You can however replace the connector if that is suspect. You may want to have a new RR with you, and replace your current one when it dies.

I'd also recommend an on board voltmeter. It allows you to detect a failing RR before it leaves you stranded.

• Member Contributer

Mine has 14k on it. Several years (a few thousand miles) ago I replaced the R/R with a factory one from the dealer.

You replaced the original stock design with the "upgraded" bigger finned model. It may be fine today. But even the upgraded part will eventually eat it. Recommend to add the up front voltmeter to keep an eye on it.

• Member Contributer

Same thing happened on my '99 - the R/R began to fail before it hit 10,000 miles (voltage dropped as rpm came up). I replaced it with the unit Tightwad sells and now get 14.5 v at any rpm. I've been using Oxgard on my connectors and that seems to have cured any heating issues.

• Member Contributer

I'm not sure how you tested the stator without disconnecting the RR, Maybe the test procedure is different with you gen. Without taking the RR apart which I do not recommend, there isn't much you can do about your yellow wires. You can however replace the connector if that is suspect. You may want to have a new RR with you, and replace your current one when it dies.

I'd also recommend an on board voltmeter. It allows you to detect a failing RR before it leaves you stranded.

I did disconnect the R/R while testing, as indicated to do.

I do have a Mr.Gauge Volt Meter which is good at showing me the fluctuating of the voltage.

• Member Contributer

I don't have a pic of mine readily available at this moment. So I don't keep you waiting, here's a pic of one just like I have. I can post a pic of the one on my bike if you'd like. It came from Singapore, believe it or not. I mounted it on the instrument cluster with locking type of Velcro from Radio Shack.

post-14663-0-65742400-1381101692.jpg

• Member Contributer

Cold Hot

Key off 13.13 ?

Key on 12.14 12.77

1000 rpm 13.20 12.9

1600 rpm 14.06 ?

5000 rpm 13.72 13.72

Stator Tests

Cold Hot

.2 .3

.3 .3

.3 .3

Pin to Pin AC Volts

Cool Hot

So...what do you think??

Sorry Chuck, I can be fairly dense sometimes. I'm just trying to understand things correctly. When you say that the stator wires got hot on the RR side, I assumed that was during the stator AC voltage check because it the comment followed that test. Thats when I got confused.

It's not a good thing that your DC volts peak at 1600 rpm and trail off at 5k. I don't know if anyone has a reliable way to test a RR directly. Can you find a buddy with the same gen bike, swap em out and test. I HATE spending money on things that I think maybe wrong. With your heat issue in the wires, it maybe a connection issue that is gobblin up your power.

• Member Contributer

Cold Hot

Key off 13.13 ?

Key on 12.14 12.77

1000 rpm 13.20 12.9

1600 rpm 14.06 ?

5000 rpm 13.72 13.72

Stator Tests

Cold Hot

.2 .3

.3 .3

.3 .3

Pin to Pin AC Volts

Cool Hot

So...what do you think??

Sorry Chuck, I can be fairly dense sometimes. I'm just trying to understand things correctly. When you say that the stator wires got hot on the RR side, I assumed that was during the stator AC voltage check because it the comment followed that test. Thats when I got confused.

It's not a good thing that your DC volts peak at 1600 rpm and trail off at 5k. I don't know if anyone has a reliable way to test a RR directly. Can you find a buddy with the same gen bike, swap em out and test. I HATE spending money on things that I think maybe wrong. With your heat issue in the wires, it maybe a connection issue that is gobblin up your power.

No problem, mk2davis. I can see now how that would be confusing. I should have located that statement further up.

Yea, I don't like those voltage readings either. As far as buddies go, the only ones I have are the ones on here. I tend to be a loner. I find life to be abit easier that way. But thanks for the suggestion. Tightwad was willing to look over my numbers so I sent them to him. Just waiting to hear back from him.

Archived