Jumpy Speedometer Needle

• Member Contributer

In the past few weeks, I've noticed that my speedometer needle has become jumpy as it travels towards the higher speeds. It's nice and solid at 65mph, but starting at 75mph it starts to jump and by 85 mph I'm not sure if I'm going 75 or 95 (not that I stare too long at the needle at those speeds) - I've gone as fast at 110, and it is still erratic at that speed.

I have a speedo healer (stock gearing) to correct the OEM speedo error - before I start digging around, I am suspecting either:

a- the speedo healer is starting to die

b- the sensor on the sprocket is starting to die

Any experience with those symptoms?

In case is matters, I have about 72.5k miles on the bike.

TIA

• Member Contributer

On my '09 it was the actual sensor that went out. Most replies to my inquiries said it was most likely the nylon nut that was bad, as this is typically the case. However after a visual inspection, it did not appear to be the nut. I did a few on bike test with the sensor and then followed up with the whole trouble shooting process just to make sure and it all pointed to the sensor. I would definitely look at the nylon nut first though, as it's only ~$7 to replace it and based on when your speedometer starts to "act up", i.e. higher RPMs,, that would kind of make sense. My speedometer was acting up even at walking speeds and more so when at higher speeds until it finally just stopped working. While you're at it just double check the electrical connections just to rule out poor connections.

• Member Contributer

I'm 99% sure his gen just has a mechanical pickup. If its not the nut its the cable but that's unlikely.

I guess the 1% got you... It's not mechanical, it's electrical, which is why the speedohealer can work. :) Obviously, there is still that nylon nut that I will inspect this weekend, and that is attached to a transducer that converts the spinning of the nut to an electrical current.

Thanks for the tips folks, I'll update after the weekend, hopefully. With 3 kids, it's usually hard to find time to futz with the bike. That's why I got a honda to commute on - little maintenance required. :)

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

So, it's only taken me 6 months... As I got the bike out again last week to get to work, the speedo completely went and died. Sure enough, 'twas the nylon nut. I ordered a new one, and replaced, and all is good. I think I borked the old one last time I replaced the sprockets and probably unknowingly forced it in place mis-aligned.

vfr_speedo1.JPG

vfr_speedo2.JPG

• Member Contributer

Don't know how many miles you have on your bike, but I'm on the third speedo nut at 120K miles. Next time I'm going this route:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/75527-nylon-speedometer-drive-nut-aluminum-replacement/

Sorry it isn't a link, but I'm still fumblin' around trying to use the site.

Sorry it isn't a link, but I'm still fumblin' around trying to use the site.

Doh! It makes the link automatically...what'll they think of next?

• Member Contributer

I have 73,000 miles on the bike, and I rode the last 40,000 of it myself. So I know for sure that the old one had at least 40,000 miles on it. It was probably the original one. Either way, I don't see a need to use anything different, unless they stop making the nylon ones.

• Member Contributer

Is it nylon because it's cheap or because they want it to act as a fuse if the cable locks up. What would happen if the cable locked up at one end and the nylon wasn't there to disengage? Whipping cable casing perhaps?

Is it nylon because it's cheap or because they want it to act as a fuse if the cable locks up. What would happen if the cable locked up at one end and the nylon wasn't there to disengage? Whipping cable casing perhaps?

It's an electronic speed sensor, directly driven by the nylon piece. It's such a simple device that the likelihood of locking it up is virtually zero. Besides, if it were a cable, all hell would break loose before the nylon would break. That nylon piece was worn (probably due to the speed sensor being misaligned when it was installed at some point in time, such as chain replacement, etc). It wasn't broken. The failure modes are extremely different, and they're caused by different causes.

• Member Contributer

It's an electronic speed sensor, directly driven by the nylon piece. It's such a simple device that the likelihood of locking it up is virtually zero. Besides, if it were a cable, all hell would break loose before the nylon would break. That nylon piece was worn (probably due to the speed sensor being misaligned when it was installed at some point in time, such as chain replacement, etc). It wasn't broken. The failure modes are extremely different, and they're caused by different causes.

Yes, that makes a lot of sense now that you mention it. Never really thought about it not being a cable.

Archived