Abba Superbike Stand

crakerjac

Anybody use one of these? They look nifty.

I've thought about picking up a Bulldog rear stand for the VFR1200, but this ABBA stand looks like you could easily lift both tires off the ground since it lifts the bike using the swingarm pivot bolt.

http://www.abbastands.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=1

• Member Contributer

The Europeans and Brits that I've been chatting with on the CB1000R site love these things. They look very easy to use and stable and are not bike specific like some stands...

• Member Contributer

^^ Okay. Now THAT is cool. But $500 is a lot of coin...

Depending on how often you use it, how useful it is, somethings pay for themselves quicker than others, it is hard to get over that initial expenditure though. The cool thing about the Burgis is that they have adapter plates, so that you can use this on more than one bike, not sure about the Abba stand. To me, that gives the Burgis an even better ROI IMO. Bummer they don't have the VFR800 or my Ducati SS listed!

A steel rod thru the pivot arm hole does the same thing. Not as convenient, but I don't need to do this often enough to warrant spending $$$ for a dedicated stand.

post-23836-0-11090900-1380215845.jpg

• Member Contributer

I do own traditional stands that I use, the main benefit with the Bursig stand is that you can also move the bike around once it's on the stand. I have a 3 car garage and I have to fit 4 vehicles in it! Getting 3 bikes, my car, my tool boxes, my tire changer and whatever else that doesn't sit on a shelf, to fit is like playing 'Tetris'. In addition to that, If I'm working on one of the bikes and I don't finish in a single day, I have to put things back together temporarily so that I can get all my vehicles back in the garage for the evening as the condo complex frowns on residents using the guest parking, especially overnight (We have received 3 warnings so far, me twice and my wife once). Heck, I would imagine that the stand could be used to store the bike and make it easier for me to maneuver it around day to day. Right now I have a Harbor Freight motorcycle dolly that you park your bike on for one of my bikes and it allows me to move the entire bike around but I would prefer something a little more useful like the Bursig, work stand/storage stand. To me it would be a worth while investment for others it's a costly device that serves only one purpose, YMMV.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

Not very useful if they don't have an adapter for your bike, though!

I have owned many stands over the years, but only recently have I purchased an ABBA stand. It is similar to the NWS Ulti-Pro stands I've got a pair of, but the main difference is that it uses different adapters to fit different bikes, whereas the NWS uses pointy SS pins that fit into any hollow axle/bolt. To cover all of my bikes I would have to purchase three different ABBA fitting kits. To start, I got the kits that fit my NC30/35 and NC29, but those two kits actually have the same adapter on one side, which I didn't really need two of!

I don't think ABBA has a US distributor, so this is a bit of a moot point. Shipping one over to the 'States would be quite expensive, due to the weight.

Ciao,

Anybody use one of these? They look nifty.

.... this ABBA stand looks like you could easily lift both tires off the ground ....

Hi, I have 2010 VFR1200 and I have been using ABBA stand the last four years for winter storing.

No, it doesn't lift the front wheel.

There is actually quite a lot of load on front wheel.

I don't think ABBA has a US distributor, so this is a bit of a moot point. Shipping one over to the 'States would be quite expensive, due to the weight.

There's a Canadian distributor that covers North America. Blue Streak Racing... but I don't know anything about them.

For a frame lift stand to hoist both wheels off the ground, there needs to be 2 pins at least. One pin only will leave the heavy end on the ground.

I can definitely see the advantage of a frame lift stand, if you wotk on your bike a lot, or a race/track bike that you need to warm race tires between session conveniently. I know some dedicated track day junkies that use these.

For me, it's a nice-to-have.

I'd just like to find something I can use to store the bike over the winter with the tires off the ground. I'm at 7k miles and I need a new front tire badly so I guess it doesn't matter too much this winter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

I'd just like to find something I can use to store the bike over the winter with the tires off the ground. I'm at 7k miles and I need a new front tire badly so I guess it doesn't matter too much this winter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

If that's the case, then regular stands like the Pit Bull stands should work out for you.

Archived