Z-Bomb On Off Switch Mod.

Clint

Does any one have any idea how I could modify a Z-bomb with an on off switch, to effectively turn it on and off at will?

I have a Z-Bomb installed and plan to buy another to modify, the plan would be to put a switch on the dash or under the seat

I know a poster used a switch after splicing wires to turn the restrictions on and off, perhaps this could be applied to a Z-Bomb?

I also wanted to do this, because I didn't want to cut into the bikes wiring harnass. I you want to remove it, it doesn't give any hassle, because all the extra wiring is done on the Z-bomb.

The problem is that the Z-Bomb only has 4 wires on one plug (3th,4th, 5th and 6th gear). I tried to identify the copper connectors to make 2 extra wires, but so far I wasn't able to find some.

Once you have them, you only need the scheme Dutchgixxer made.

I think to have a switch is a good idea ("normal" gear (less torque in 1th and 2nd) on wet days and driving through cities)

I think to have a switch is a good idea ("normal" gear (less torque in 1th and 2nd) on wet days and driving through cities)

^this i have found the bike less enjoyable to ride in urban environments, however love the zbomb when out on the open road.

A switch would be great! and like you said modifying a zbomb would make it easily removable/reversible.

You could easily hook up a DPDT switch, and you don't even need the Z-bomb. All the Z-bomb does is take the 2 wires that normally feed into 1st and 2nd gear lines from the gear position indicator, and tie them into the 3rd gear line.

If you want a "remote" switch at the handlbar, you could use a DPDT relay instead and use a ON/OFF switch to pull the coil of the relay.

You could easily hook up a DPDT switch, and you don't even need the Z-bomb. All the Z-bomb does is take the 2 wires that normally feed into 1st and 2nd gear lines from the gear position indicator, and tie them into the 3rd gear line.

If you want a "remote" switch at the handlbar, you could use a DPDT relay instead and use a ON/OFF switch to pull the coil of the relay.

the Idea behind modding the z-bomb is in order to not modify the bikes wiring at all.

I found the post from the stickied thread where a DPDT switch was used when splicing the wires directly on the harness, I'm going to order another z-Bomb and have a go at applying the same mod.

I'll post my results

• Member Contributer
12VDC Coil DPDT Miniature PC Relay
Model: 275-249 | Catalog #: 275-249
$6.49 $6.49
Free Ground Shipping on orders over $50(DETAILS)
BUY ONLINE
In stock
Usually ships in 1 - 2

Bang ..

Yep, that'll work. Or if you don't want to mess with soldering and packaging, you can get a pre-canned DPDT board like this one commonly used in home alarm systems:

http://www.smarthome.com/7277/ELK-924-High-Sensitivity-DPDT-Relay-Board/p.aspx

Slip a large heat shrink tubing over whatever you end up with and it's good to go.

• Member Contributer

Yep, that'll work. Or if you don't want to mess with soldering and packaging, you can get a pre-canned DPDT board like this one commonly used in home alarm systems:

Slip a large heat shrink tubing over whatever you end up with and it's good to go.

Yeh use to install those same one's when I owned my own Security Alarm business. Used them turn on 120VAC siren's .

This actually gave me a great idea on how to use the existing GPS sensor to both fool the ECU into thinking it's in 3rd gear for 1st and 2nd yet allow a secondary micro detect the ACTUAL gear. My thought is that this secondary micro would push the correct gear position out to the display over the serial bus.

I've looked at the schematic for the ECU to instrument cluster and the gear display is updated by a one way communication serial bus. From looking at the schematic, it looks like every dash function has its own pin on the connector... This makes me think that the only thing on the serial bus is the gear indicator... And possibly MIL codes.

• 4 years later...

Archived