Moto Gp Seamless Shift Gearbox-Dct?

lesj48

Not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if the MotoGP bikes have DCT transmissions? If so, I think they do not.

Motogp uses a mechanical system. DCT is outlawed. I think that since Honda and Yamaha now have mechanical systems why not allow DCT?

Here is Honda's system.

LINK

it was just a thought,thanks for clearing it up jugornot , though i did get the jist of the article i must admit most of it went over my head

• Member Contributer

So Honda took the DCT theory and applied it without the use of a second clutch and electronic control. Pretty ingenious.

More accurately Honda took a failed 1960's US automotive technology and brought it into the 21st century. The design has nothing in common with the DCT layout.

simply amazing that they got it to work three years ago and Yamaha is still too close to the championship hunt with Jorge to provide this unreliable (in their bike) feature for JL.

We may have seen it on the other Yamaha factory bike is Ben was still suffering broken swingarms and high speed offs with them this year but they appear to be hesitant to even allow VR46 the upgrade without vetting it further so as not to be the cause of VR missing the podium.

• Member Contributer

So Honda took the DCT theory and applied it without the use of a second clutch and electronic control. Pretty ingenious.

Yep, they skirted the rules. Outlawing DCT was supposed to be a cost saving measure yet Honda found a way to get by that rule. HRC have said the tranny is a million dollars. Ducati have implemented one with Yamaha's version almost ready and Aprilia stating they will bring one for next year for their ART machines. Didn't save anyone a dime.

http://www.sportrider.com/news/146_1104_honda_secret_motogp_rc212v_transmission_revealed/viewall.html

• Member Contributer

I agree with you totally.

If they wanted to save money in GP they would provide a spec ECU with 4 or 5 inputs ONLY...no way to cheat traction control when you can't tell if one end is spinning faster than the other...this would eliminate 20-30 techno-weenies employed by each factory to write code for their prototype race bikes.

If they complain that they must have traction control as the racing pedigree trickles up to street bike sales, call them on the bs as no streets are as smooth, chuck-hole-free, and clear of debris as the worst track they race on.

• Member Contributer

Lastly, we come to Ball Lock Shifters. This shifter style was made famous by Hodaka. A few other Japanese makes used it too, but Hodaka used it exclusively in all their bikes from the 90cc to 250cc. In ball lock systems, one gear shaft has all the gears machined on the shaft. The other shaft is hollow and has four holes in each gear position. There is a ball bearing in each of these holes. A gear rides around each set of four holes. The gears have four indentions cut on the inside of the gear. A Shifter Headmoves back and forth, inside the shaft. It pushes the balls out and into the indentions in each gear. This changes each gear. When the next gear is chosen, the balls fall back into the shaft releasing the gear. Because all the gears are always engaged with each other, you do not have to use the clutch to change gears. You use the clutch in first gear to get started, but after that, just let off on the gas and shift. Nobody uses this method anymore. Probably, this is because of the hi horsepower of todays motorcycle engines. There are still Hodakas out there, so you may still run into this type of shifter.

ball_lock.jpg

I believe Hodaka was the first !!!!

Archived