Click Sound From Front Left Caliper - 96 Vfr

Guest angelob

Guest angelob

A couple of days ago I noticed a solid click sound coming from my front left brake caliper on my 96 VFR. Bike has 38000 miles on it and I replaced the stock brake pads with the EBC HH pads about 1200 miles ago. Haven't noticed this until a couple days ago. It seems like at low speed (less than 10mph) if I hit the brakes hard and cause the nose to dive I hear a click. Braking power seems unaffected at any speed, so I'm not sure what is going on here. Caliper mounting bolts are tight. I was going to pull the caliper this evening and inspect it but wondering if anyone has experienced this and what they did to resolve it.

Thanks,

Angelo

Are you sure it's from the caliper? That sound could also be coming from the steering head bearings. Put bike on the centre stand and grab the wheel to check for play in it by pulling and pushing it. You should be able to feel if things are not right.

If that ain't it take the caliper off and have a look to make sure all is ok - check the pad spring, ensure pistons move smoothly and the slider pins are in good condition.

• Member Contributer

Are you sure it's from the caliper? That sound could also be coming from the steering head bearings.

:1: First guess would be the steering head bearings. At that mileage, I would expect them to need replacing if they haven't already.

One of the most important thing to check is the retaining plug screw for the slide pin on the caliper is still there and tight.

If that drops off, the slide pin will come out and your brake pads will fall off..... You can compare the left caliper to the right one to see if anything like the slide pin retaining plug screw is missing.

I suspect that a loose slide pin could also cause unusual noises on a caliper.....

Beck

95 VFR

My '97 did the same thing and it was the retainer clip. It was slightly bent and not staying locked in place and would shuck a little when brakes were applied. Replaced it and the noise went away.

Forgot to mention steering head bearings were replaced about 2k miles ago with tapered ones. I did lift the front, grabbed the wheel and shook it to see if I felt any looseness. Nothing. Heading out to the garage now to see what I can find.

• Member Contributer

Forgot to mention steering head bearings were replaced about 2k miles ago with tapered ones. I did lift the front, grabbed the wheel and shook it to see if I felt any looseness. Nothing. Heading out to the garage now to see what I can find.

I had a similar experience, couldn't feel anything when I lifted the front of the bike and wiggled the wheel. But after taking the wheel and forks off and just wiggling the triples, I could tell the steering head bearings were %*$#. Might be that whoever installed your new steering head bearings didn't do a followup check for tightness, giving you the "click" under braking as the rollers in the bearings use up their play.

Archived