Pnw 2014 Oregon Trail

choco

• Member Contributer

Breaking News!

Bart Madsen from Motorcycle USA will be joining us for the Saturday ride around Twisted Sisters loop. He will be riding a 2014 Interceptor and hinted there may be some chance of a select few trying it .... Swapping bikes on the ride. He said not everyone will be able to and those that do have to sign some legal agreement !

In his article he said . . . "Fire the Interceptor to life and riders are greeted with a familiar V-Four cadence. I can’t vouch for improvements compared to the 2008 model, as I haven’t ridden the latter model . . . "

I can supply him with just such a model year for his comparison (even has ABS and will have some brand new PR2's on it). Does that put me in contention? :smile2:

• Member Contributer

Wow that is exciting! That bike is on my short list.

BTW .. I give up! How in the heck do you make the little vfrd/pnw stamp thingy show up on the profile thingy?? Need to change my name to computer dummy!

Go to Gallery>Ride Icons (about 1/2 way down the page), choose the one you want and copy the link in to your profile.

Breaking News!

Bart Madsen from Motorcycle USA will be joining us for the Saturday ride around Twisted Sisters loop. He will be riding a 2014 Interceptor and hinted there may be some chance of a select few trying it .... Swapping bikes on the ride. He said not everyone will be able to and those that do have to sign some legal agreement !

In his article he said . . . "Fire the Interceptor to life and riders are greeted with a familiar V-Four cadence. I can’t vouch for improvements compared to the 2008 model, as I haven’t ridden the latter model . . . "

I can supply him with just such a model year for his comparison (even has ABS and will have some brand new PR2's on it). Does that put me in contention? :smile2:

It may, we will have to let him decide how many get a chance on it. In my opinion you and Jimbob are in the running because you were the first to request a ride on it. I'd like to see Jeff get a ride as he lost his beloved Viffer on an Oregon ride a couple of years ago, I would like a ride on it, so that's four already.

• Member Contributer

5 make that 5 :) of course tam will have to come for a burn as well.

I wonder if he will have it in tour mode (bags etc).

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the group, but have been following this topic since I first noticed it about a month ago..

Reservations in Bend were tough but it looks like I can make the run!

See you in Hood River!

Choco, have you planned for an initial meet/greet on Wednesday night or Thursday AM? I'll be arriving around 7pm..

thanks!

Jim

It would seem they would want a two-up review as well.

Jim glad your coming we will meet Wed. Night either at Best Western or brewpub to be named later after bikes are parked fed and rubbed down

• Member Contributer

Y'all are really making this hard for me now. :-(

Ya and i hear Choco is buying the first round in Hood river Pub

Come with Rob it's not too late, I'll at least buy you a beer. Have a heart to heart with your new boss I'm sure he'll understand show him the vfrd posts really try it!!!!

Hey Derek and Tammy and Jeff who's staying with Pauline and me Tuesday night I need to plan dinner and need to see if anyone has room in saddlebags for T-shirts

• Member Contributer

Breaking News!

It may, we will have to let him decide how many get a chance on it. In my opinion you and Jimbob are in the running because you were the first to request a ride on it. I'd like to see Jeff get a ride as he lost his beloved Viffer on an Oregon ride a couple of years ago, I would like a ride on it, so that's four already.

Ya for sure i would like to have a spin as well, if its possible. I'm at a disadvantage i only have 3 cylinders now. miss my v4:(

The day is soon to arrive. Some of you are leaving early. Just a couple of reminders: Those of you with GPS that are capable of downloading routes, you may want to download the routes posted at the beginning of this thread; I hope everybody studies the routes before leaving and see the many twists and turns that await. Also, I will be bringing T-shirts down and will hope you all can pay cash at our opening night event at Hood River. I haven't got the bill yet, but was told to expect somewhere between $24-$28 per shirt. I had them screen printed and they look great, if I do say so myself. I think you will like wearing them.

Also, stay safe, have fun, watch out for each other and exchange phone numbers and contact numbers. If they are still looking for me in Baker City from last years ride, you don't know me.

See you all in Hood River, see V-Fore in Baker City.

I'm glad I took my own advice. I was just studying the route from HR to Baker and we will make a slight change in the name of the endless pursuit of twisty roads. After the Rowena Curves and east of the Dalles, we will follow 30/206 and turn south at 206, and NOT continue on to Biggs Junction. It looks like 206 south is also called Celilo-Wasco Rd and starts out in a deep canyon and this will connect to Condon and then to Heppner. It looks like fun. We will want to gas up in Heppner for the run into Baker City. I just rode Heppner to Baker City last year and I absolutely loved the ride.

The day is soon to arrive. Some of you are leaving early. Just a couple of reminders: Those of you with GPS that are capable of downloading routes, you may want to download the routes posted at the beginning of this thread; I hope everybody studies the routes before leaving and see the many twists and turns that await. Also, I will be bringing T-shirts down and will hope you all can pay cash at our opening night event at Hood River. I haven't got the bill yet, but was told to expect somewhere between $24-$28 per shirt. I had them screen printed and they look great, if I do say so myself. I think you will like wearing them.

Also, stay safe, have fun, watch out for each other and exchange phone numbers and contact numbers. If they are still looking for me in Baker City from last years ride, you don't know me.

See you all in Hood River, see V-Fore in Baker City.

Does anybody have the actual map/route files for a Garmin 660?

Also, keep in mind that there are several fires in Washington and Oregon. I've included a link here.

http://www.nwccweb.us/information/firemap.aspx

It doesn't look like any of our routes are in jeopardy at this time, although fires are close to some of our routes. I suppose the sky will be smoky in areas.

Looking at the Baker City to Bend route I'll probably split off from you guys at John Day and haul ass down 26 through Prineville and Madras, and back into Hillsboro... Any way I look at it I am gonna have one helluva a long day to make it back in time to get some rest before Sat morning.

Edited by DfnsMn69

Jeff come come down early and we can go look at that Vfr in Lynwood

You mean mine? I work in Lynnwood and live in Bellevue:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcy/4572498903.html '> http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcy/4572498903.html

ry6aqynu.jpg

7e9a9a4y.jpg

atese7um.jpg

ezu2u9y3.jpg

If, by chance, anyone knows someone selling an Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (2001-2007, including 2003 Rally Raid edition), I'm very interested...

• Like 1

Wednesday, JULY 23 kick off gathering at Double Mountain Brewery at 6 pm or sooner if it pleases you. They are expecting us, under VFRD/Lee Anderson and I talked to Rory who said they love to have bikes parked out front and added that several employees ride motocycles. If you don't like the idea of riding back to the room after a couple of beers and pizza then walking or a cab is an option. There's a walking trail and the distance is about 1 mile.

http://www.doublemountainbrewery.com/taproom/#&panel1-1

• Member Contributer

I'm glad I took my own advice. I was just studying the route from HR to Baker and we will make a slight change in the name of the endless pursuit of twisty roads. After the Rowena Curves and east of the Dalles, we will follow 30/206 and turn south at 206, and NOT continue on to Biggs Junction. It looks like 206 south is also called Celilo-Wasco Rd and starts out in a deep canyon and this will connect to Condon and then to Heppner. It looks like fun. We will want to gas up in Heppner for the run into Baker City. I just rode Heppner to Baker City last year and I absolutely loved the ride.

Choco - see if this looks right to you - it appears that after going through the curves that at the town of Rowena we'll get back on I-84, continue past The Dalles getting off at exit 97 and continuing on to turn south on to 206. No matter what 206 is like, it will be better than grinding down from Biggs on 97 with all the trucks, traffic, etc.

http://goo.gl/maps/KVmB9

Also, presuming this is all correct, note that on Google maps Celilo-Wasco Hwy is co-named "Fulton Canyon Road". A Google street view shows the signage at the turnoff says "Fulton Canyon Rd - Wasco 206", which could be confusing if we're looking for "Celilo-Wasco Rd" sign.

http://goo.gl/maps/ztIXg

• Member Contributer

Jeff come come down early and we can go look at that Vfr in Lynwood

You mean mine? I work in Lynnwood and live in Bellevue:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcy/4572498903.html '> http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcy/4572498903.html

ry6aqynu.jpg

7e9a9a4y.jpg

atese7um.jpg

ezu2u9y3.jpg

If, by chance, anyone knows someone selling an Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (2001-2007, including 2003 Rally Raid edition), I'm very interested...

that's a first never seen a vfr with knobbies!

Choco - see if this looks right to you - it appears that after going through the curves that at the town of Rowena we'll get back on I-84, continue past The Dalles getting off at exit 97 and continuing on to turn south on to 206. No matter what 206 is like, it will be better than grinding down from Biggs on 97 with all the trucks, traffic, etc.

http://goo.gl/maps/KVmB9

Also, presuming this is all correct, note that on Google maps Celilo-Wasco Hwy is co-named "Fulton Canyon Road". A Google street view shows the signage at the turnoff says "Fulton Canyon Rd - Wasco 206", which could be confusing if we're looking for "Celilo-Wasco Rd" sign.

http://goo.gl/maps/ztIXg

Persactly!