4Th Gen Clutch A Few Questions.....

Dutchy

• Member Contributer

coming week I will be putting on Seb's Clear Cover.

Since I bought a used clutch pack so I could already paint the outer holder, I also have the basket, springs and and plates.

I will compare the measurements of those with the ones that are in my redslut.

Question 1:

Springs: the manual lists the services limit, but do springs get longer over time or shorter?

In other words, if both sets are within spec, which ones do I fit? the "shorter" ones or the "longer" ones?

Question 2

Taking the plates out seems simple enough, there is one metal plate a bit smaller I read. Are there any "OH F!@#$, I wish I had known that" tips I should know before commencing?

Last Question

Do I fully drain (and refill) the oil (oil is only 4 months old or so) and worj on it with the bike on the centre stand? OR simply drain a bit of oil, put her on the side stand?

I did read the articles I coudl find here, just wanting to be sure.....

1. Use the longer ones.

2. No weird tricks, just take note of the plates and the order as they come out, and put the new ones back in the same way. I would make sure the "new" plates are as clean as they can be, without applying any cleaner to them. The parts need to be wet with oil when assembled. Also, some folks like to media blast the metal plates but you can accomplish similar with a kitchen scouring pad. Degrease, scuff, clean, wet with oil, assemble.

3. No need to drain any oil if you put the bike on the side stand.

:1:

Soak the clutch plates in oil for a few hours (or days).

Since I bought a used clutch pack so I could already paint the outer holder, I also have the basket, springs and and plates.

You also ordered a clutch cover gasket?

• Member Contributer

Yes I did ;-)

Here's hoping the old cover will come off easily....

• Member Contributer

Hey Dutchy (and everyone else). I've similar questions. I am only replacing the clutch pressure plate in my 5th gen. That's the part you cleaned, baked and painted. I bought a new one to start with a fresh one. Is it reasonable to just remove the old one and install the new one? The machine has 33,xxx mi.

Archived