Rebuilding My '93 Vfr . . . Again!

Looks great. Maybe over the winter you could get the seat recovered if the vinyl paint doesn't fare well.

:-)

Perhaps when you get the seat on, and take it somewhere with some scenery for pics, we MIGHT find some room on the homepage for it???? ;-)

Pennzoil eh? Not too shabby but the only car scheme I really saw transferred well to a bike is the Powder Blue/Orange Gulf scheme on an RSV4.

Vinyl looks really good now so we'll see how it wears over the rest of the summer.

Final assembly photos:

Seat on:

gallery_5709_6959_1302051.jpg

Seat cowl on:

gallery_5709_6959_109541.jpg

Nice. Hopefully with that paintjob you will never hear the words: "But I never saw him coming....." haha

Looks great. Nice job. How much was the total for the paint/decals???

And I still think the wheels should be black.

But that's OK, it's your bike, it looks great now, you've got nothing but time to decide, and winter is the time to do that sort of thing anyhow.........

And now . . . drum roll please . . .

On Dad's driveway:

gallery_5709_6961_457403.jpg

On his lawn next to the spruce tree and apple tree:

gallery_5709_6961_45349.jpg

gallery_5709_6961_252709.jpg

gallery_5709_6961_541611.jpg

Not bad for a beat up 54,000 mile track bike eh!?

I am still not sure about the wheels, I'll have to spend some time looking at it. They need to be done though, the silver is peeling in places and a good strip and powder coat would work wonders.

$1600 CAD for the paint, about $50.00 for the decals (can't remember exactly).

You're right about the winter/summer bit. I should be riding the bike and working on my '72 292SS Elan and '80 John Deere Liquifire in the summer.

What tyres do you run on your bike? I've got BT023 on my bike and have been really impressed but that was a mix of road/track in the UK. I can't imagine a sport tyre would be any good here in Alberta, they'd flatten off in no time on all the straight roads and mess up the handling before you found the first twisty bit.

I put a few more photos in my album but figured this was enough for the thread.

Been running the ever-popular Michelin Pilot Roads for the past several years. The original PR's, PR2's, and now PR3's.

Always given great service for me.

You could always photoshop the wheels black and see how that goes?

And to think my buddy Dan told me to part it out when I dropped it in 2006. What a shame that would have been looking at her now.

I have no idea how to photoshop.

Any volunteers to help us out on this wheel colour thing?

I'm curious about gold like on the Duhamel Camel RC30. That could work without overdoing the black but I'm not set on a particular colour yet.

Maybe I'll have to go for black on the RC36 and then the full Camel treatment on the RC30 hybrid when I built it up.

This may sound odd but after my daughters and wife went to bed, I just went to the garage door and stood looking at the old girl in her new paint. It's like seeing a member of the family come though a car accident and go back skiing for the first time or whatever.

I'm bloody stoked with how she looks.

When I opened the shipping container and found her smacked around, I was ready to shoot someone.

Now my trigger finger has relaxed and I'm a happy man.

Is it weird to get emotional about a chunk of aluminum, steel and plastic? If so, I'm a total weirdo.

Oh yes, my wife says it's beautiful too but she misses the Camel scheme. I told her that when I get my RC30 hybrid built, I'll do it in Camel colours just for her. 'Build me a house and then we'll talk' was her reply. I'm a lucky man!

I've spent a lot of time browsing their site and have never seen this part. I could be wrong but I'm not sure how I'd have missed it.

I've spent a lot of time browsing their site and have never seen this part. I could be wrong but I'm not sure how I'd have missed it.

Too busy looking at the other Goodies ;)

• Member Contributer

Gerhard Thurn made those over a decade ago, stopped making them a decade ago.

Archived