Hydraulic Clutch Problems. (Am I Screwed?)

FullTilt151

• Member Contributer

Well I rebuilt the master and flushed out the slave. I didn't rebuild the slave. I'm getting good actuation in both directions, so I think I may be ok. I flushed it with brake cleaner then blew it out with compressed air a couple of times making sure there wasn't any of the other fluid still in it, then I filled it with Dot 4. Same with the line, flushed with brake cleaner, blew it out with compressed air, then ran some clean Dot 4 through it before reassembling everything.

I can't test it fully because Sprocket Center sent me the wrong chain. I'm guessing the slave would 'stick' if it was affected? Like I said, it's moving freely in both directions.

The biggest kick in the nuts on this whole thing: It says right on the goddamn lid of the clutch MC what type of fluid to use...... DOT4

no.. the biggest goof is the retarded sales person who didnt ask you what bike you had..

• Member Contributer

Better that than mistaking the Ben Gay for KY Jelly...Ouch! At least you didn't do the brakes with the mineral oil, that would have been a really expensive and time consuming lesson.

• Member Contributer

Can someone recommend a brand (model) of snap ring pliers that work on the clutch (or brake)

master cylinder ?

I have what is probably an automotive set os snap ring pliers, and none of the jaw sets will reach into the cylinder bore.

Seems to require some kind of "needle nose" pliers.

Rebuild kits are readily available, and cheap enough, but I just can't get past the snap ring.

HELP.

• Member Contributer

I bought a pair from Harbor Freight that worked well for the secondary front master cylinder. They came with several tips for different task, and depending on which side you put the tip on, they either "expanded" or "contracted" the snap ring.

Reminds me of a couple times people have asked me what's wrong with * fill in the blank* one time it was their car was very difficult to turn, yet not one of the 3 guys, 2 girls could find the power steering fluid reservoir, which was bone dry. They asked what went in there, and looked confused when I read off the cap. I couldn't go to the store with them, so I handed the owner the owners manual and the cap, circling in the manual the fluid it called for, and told her to hand everything to an employee.

I really hope that employee didn't muck that up.

Please remember that if someone doesn't work on vehicles, they may not even know the right questions to ask.

I got some decent reversible circlip pliers with multiple tips from a NAPA store. Try a bunch of places, or even ask any friends you know that work on equipment.

I had a friend run into trouble with an oil change a month ago, and he spent several hours figuring out how to finish the job. I had a tool that would have done exactly what he was trying to do, and he lives a mere 15 minutes from me. Never hesitate to ask for help. So I berated him the next day at work, like the good friend I am. After all, he saved my backside when I ran into trouble replacing the clutch on my VFR, I certainly owe him. :D

Archived