Head/valve And Block Tools

YoshiHNS

• Member Contributer

It looks very much like I am going to try and salvage both my VF500C and VTR250 engines. I have a spare VF500 engine with one head left on it for parts. So after I tackle the F2 and get it running I was going to switch back over to the VTR and see what the damage is. A new engine is going to be cheaper or close to buying all the tools, but then I'm still left with an engine in questionable condition that might need work in the end anyways.

I don't have any of the tools needed to do it, so I figured I would ask around to what other people have or have used. I've seen some DIY stuff with C-clamps, and some of the Motion Pro tools which look really nice and have a price to match.

Off the bat, I'm thinking I'll need the following.

Leak-down tester

Piston rings tools

valve spring compressors

valve seat guides

Might end up needing a few other things, but those are the big ones I can think of. So please let me know what your experiences are and what you suggest. I'm all for spending some money on a nicer tool than a DIY solution that's a bit iffy to use. If the tools can carry over to car heads that would be even better.

• Member Contributer

I just want to fix these engines. I should have all the parts, barring that all of the parts are no good. I don't want to spend an additional $1k-$2k in parts and time and labor to do engine swaps.

Plus, these tools will be used in the future. Tools are an investment. A leak-down tester is definitely going to see a lot of use around here.

Bump? No one on the board has taken a head apart?

Dude, it's a VFR forum. You should know better than to ask that here...

Sorry, had to :goofy:

If you go ahead with it, you'll also need to find a small valve lapping tool and compound. Stem seals would be a great idea - look for viton seals.

• Member Contributer

shoulda told me, I would have tossed in a good ascot 500 single motor that is taking up room.

I couldn't take your entire yard lot. Especially since I'm moving out on my own with the SO in a month and will be without a garage for an unknown period of time.

• Member Contributer

Didn't Seb have to take the valves out of the CB900 motor?

I found a company called OTC that makes nice looking stuff. Cheaper than the Motion Pro, and almost the same design.

Yes, I pulled the head of te CB to change the stem seals. Borrowed a vs compressor, cleane the valves in the lathe, and made a lapping tool from a 1/4" steel rid and one I my son's Nerf darts.

Timmy, I thought the ascot was mine?

So....do you remember what tool you borrowed and if you liked it?

No. It had a yellow handle... Might have been Motion Pro since it was bike specific, but I still had to grind the part that depressed the keeper to reduce the OD and allow it to fit in the head. Worked better than a c-clamp though, that's for sure. Did the job.

Can't you rent tools like that from Napa or AutoZone type places?

Seb you are correct. Now come get it.

I will try. I think it will become a cafe-chopper thing.

You could always bring it with you when you come to the Catskills for a track day as well...

• Member Contributer

ok.. yes.. i have done head rebuilds.. to many to count on susucki and kowasucki and a few yamahahahahahahahaaaaaaas

and god knows how many HD head mods.

1st up.. are you sure you NEED to do any work? compression test? if you are doing it just to do it..

valve laping tool. they are cheap but worth it. .

you do a home make seating by hose clamping a rubber tube to a drill bit..

putting lap compound on the valve. and place the tube on the end of the valve.. hose clamp iy.. put on drill and spin at high speed. it will seat your valve fast.

however.. once done you should do a slow lap by hand for good measure. :)

• Member Contributer

Thanks Greg. I'll have to look into lapping tools. I've seen that lapping technique, except it was done by hand and not a drill, but it still came out pretty good.

I am sure I need it for both. One of the valves was lower than the other by 1/16" minimum and had 0 compression. The other had a broken tappet and 0 compression as well. On both engines, compression test was on the low all around for the rest of the cylinders.

Going to find a leak down tester to see exactly where the leak is before the tear down. I have head gaskets for both the 500 and 250 available. I hope it's not the rings, cause that's more work and more parts to replace.

• Member Contributer

if i were you..

home made leak down tester.. just place the rubber tip of of the air in the park plug hole and see if you can feel / hear air coming out if the valve ports... i normally use incense smoke to SEE if the air is being disturbed.

if you think its the valves.. just lap em! seat them. and place the head level with the chamber UP.. water in the chamber and see if any water leaks out..

Archived