6Th Gen Vfr 800 Chain Noise?

Guest justice1327

Guest justice1327

I just did some mxs on my VFR. Lowered the bike by rotating the triangle one hole to the right from the sprocket side. Oil change, changed coolant to Evans, lowered front forks by 10mm, installed new pegs and adjusted pedals. Put the bike up on its center stand to do one last ops check and once over. Decided to put it in gear and wax chain. I noticed it was making noise and jumping. Chain is tight, but has some slack. Bike and chain have 6K miles. Waxed every 5-600 miles. You can see it and hear it at the link below. Any help is appreciated.

Not sure how this site works, but i hope to get an email. Otherwise, I will just check back.

• Member Contributer

Sounds like a siezed link or two somewhere in there... Rotate by hand and visually check, could also be a worn countershaft sprocket - how many miles...???, how old...???, service history of the chain...???

Hey there...

Firstly, in first gear it's quite common for the chain to do that... I usually use second gear... but be extremely careful there are no dogs or children or unaware people around that might knock the bike rocking it backward and the rear wheel come into contact with the ground because your bike will launch forward... and don't dare get your fingers or hands anywear near a rotating chain.

Secondly, if you click on the "follow this topic" button up the top right, you will receive a message advising you when new replies come up.

Also that chain looks real tight...

Usually you can see a Bump in the chain as it rotates around the rear sprocket, I didnt see that as in a frozen link. Maybe the cs sprocket is worn bad enough to cause a mismatch. but its all related something with the chain and sprockets isnt right.

BTw chain wax freezes up the whole chain and everything doesnt spin freely

On the Utube video it states the mileage and mxs of chain, but I was unaware the site would post the actual video and not take you to the video as it appears on Utube. I posted the mxs and mileage of the chain per the recommendation.

AuspaƱol...sound like your speaking from experience. Actually, the gear was in second as first gear is so bad with the noise and chain jump I was afraid it would shift the bike b/f and it take off w/o me.

Another site said to adjust chain at tightest spot. I think I will rotate the chain slowly all the way around and find the tightest spot and be sure it is w/in specs.

Thanks all. Any more suggestions are welcome.

• Member Contributer

Your chain is slapping the top of the swing arm... its possible you maybe running too much slack... check tension...

I agree with Auspanol's thought,s on over tight and common slapping noise.

What brand chair? I've toasted brand new (cheap) chains in less than 2400 miles. :wacko:

BR

Chain looks way too tight to me.I'm pretty positive. I don't like that noise, that's not good. I hope it's just the chain and sprockets.

The bottom should be slowing slack will running like that. I mean obvious slack.Slapping is normal, the chain never has to deal with full shock extension while riding.That popping is not normal.

Do something simple for me. Place your fingers vertical and tell me how many fingers fit between the chain and bottom of the swingarm.

DONT RUN THE BIKE TO LUBE THE CHAIN MY FRIENDS. IF YOU EVER SAW A HAND THAT SLIPPED AND WENT THRU THE SPROCKET YOU WOULDNT DO IT. WE HAVE A CENTERSTAND, JUST TURN IT BY HAND. PLEASE!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info...some say too loose, some say too tight. I KNOW It is not loose...I measured the tension and slack...less than 3/4 of an inch of verticle movement. Manuel says 1 -1 3/4. I set it w/in these perimeters...still got the same noise...not sure now what it can be....bent sprocket is my guess. Chain is simple to change and so are sprockets...I will let you all know what I decide. Still appreciate any inputs.

Also check chain slack every 1/8 rotation of the wheel, see if it changes (gets tighter/looser). Indication of a stretched chain. It could have 3/4" in one spot and 2'' in another.

BR

• Member Contributer

Chains that are too tight hum... chains that are too loose either slap
the swingarm or chain guard... you can eliminate the noise by pressing
a rag up from the bottom of the chain while it is running this works
like a chain roller...

The purpose of the chain roller is to take up the slack generated
after the swingarm is lower during ride height adjustments... The
lower the swingarm is adjusted the more slack appears in the chain...
instead of suffering excessive chain slack HRC added a roller... with
the chain resting on the roller less slack is felt through the
throttle during on off transitions... it works a lot like a chain
roller on a dirt bike if you will... in fact I employed a ball bearing
dirt bike roller purchased at a cycle accessory store...

RC45 Chain Roller Mod
3000531780_24969a6cf3.jpg

post-3131-0-48194100-1370843940.jpg

... you can eliminate the noise by pressing

a rag up from the bottom of the chain while it is running this works

like a chain roller...

BLS, nice mod but please, don't encourage folk to get their hands anywhere near the chain and/or sprockets with the bike running!!

That be scary chit!!

Someone on the old VFR "big mailing list" got his hand sucked into the chain/sprocket with a rag. Severed his fingertips right off.

Google image search Seajay VFR chain if you really wanna see it.

It's not pretty.

Thanks everyone for the inputs. 3/4 was with someone of my weight on the bike. I wasnt aware of the chain roller and I believe I will look into that for this and my other two chain drive bikes. I have adjusted the chain and it is now 1 1/2 with someone on the bike. ... but it still makes the noise...just not when I am on it riding it. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks again.

You don't adjust nor check the chain tension with someone on the bike. Manual states the bike is to be on centre stand and rear wheel free, off the ground.. 2.5 - 3.5 cm of slack under the above circumstances.

You don't adjust nor check the chain tension with someone on the bike. Manual states the bike is to be on centre stand and rear wheel free, off the ground.. 2.5 - 3.5 cm of slack under the above circumstances.

My thoughts exactly. Never heard of checking slack with the bike weighted. Chain will be at it's tighest point when the swingarm is in the center of it's stroke.

Dont agree at all that the sprockets are damaged with only 6k miles.

Chain is too tight and could have some bad links. I dont know how your bike is stored. It's possible there is 1 or more sections seizing. The best method to ck chain wear is pull the chain directly rearward at the sprocket in the rear. pull the chain towards the rear of the bike. Directly where the chain is in the middle of the sprocket. When new it will pull off the sprocket a very small omount. When worn out it will pull far enough back to see the whole tooth on the sprocket.

As stated check this in many spots.

You stated you lowered the bike. Thats an unknown variable.

Hello,

I never clean, adjust, wax or get my finger near a moving sprocket/chain. ( I have 25 yrs of mxs and electrical background. I dont even wear jewelry) With regards to the measurements I took after adjusting the chain with someone on the bike It shows that with 3/4 of an inch FREE play it was NOT too tight as some had suggested. Same with the most amount of free play at 1.5inches....that measurement would be the most free play one would run. BOTH settings caused the noise. These show that while the chain is set just right and to the most loose setting...it still made the noise. So it was not the tension on the chain that was causing the noise.

So what was the problem you may wonder.... I went to change the sprocket/chain set and noticed the drive chain guide plate was snapped in half. I have no idea HOW, but I changed it obviously. No noise with stock chain now. So I kept the new DID 530 chain for later.

Thanks to everyone.

Archived