Mini Ride Report On The Renfrew Loop.

• Member Contributer

Had a surprise visitor at work on Friday when Polarbear dropped in and provided me with a free 10 year supply of earplugs, thank you very much.

Yesterday after his working weekend was over for the day, we had a chance to get together for a buzz around the Port Renfrew loop with a couple of R&R stops along the way.

Polar bear mugging for the camera

gallery_17747_5296_109716.jpg

And the bikes cooling off in a shady spot while we enjoy a break.

gallery_17747_5296_90393.jpg

Always a pleasure to meet up with a VFRD member and go for a scoot.

BC

• Member Contributer

I am jealous! I was supposed to be there too, but decided that riding without taillights was irresponsible and dangerous. Reckless, even!

• Member Contributer

Haha! Thanks for leading me around that great loop Bcmc! As for Hippy, we will have to make up for it some other way.

C

PS we should mention that we saw several deer, many prey birds (eagles and ?), and even one big motha elk! In light of recent events at Tmac, I couldn't help but think that there would be many more in the bushes waiting for a good reason to jump in our way, so I slowed down...

• Member Contributer

Looks like fun,the weather was great.....I had better hurry & get mine back on the road!!

2013 06 01 12.17.36

• Member Contributer

Hey Superfunkomatic!

Nope, can't really do that. The trip over is about 3 hours, and the ride is about 5-6 hours, so I guess if you caught the first ferry, that might be possible, but it would be exhausting--not to mention expensive, over $80 for the ferry only. I just happened to be there on business and I took advantage of it.

V-Fore, isn't that bike supposed to be white?? I'm confused. Time for a ride over to Baker or anywhere else for that matter. We need to catch up.

C

Did you buy bulbs? Changing the lower one is really fun.

Nope, BCMC told me that it was working fine, so I will be ok I guess. But in your case, I'm happy to hear that it was such a small problem. Too bad you didn't know it before, it would have been a cheap fix.

C

• Member Contributer

Hey Superfunkomatic!

Nope, can't really do that. The trip over is about 3 hours, and the ride is about 5-6 hours, so I guess if you caught the first ferry, that might be possible, but it would be exhausting--not to mention expensive, over $80 for the ferry only. I just happened to be there on business and I took advantage of it.

V-Fore, isn't that bike supposed to be white?? I'm confused. Time for a ride over to Baker or anywhere else for that matter. We need to catch up.

C

Did you buy bulbs? Changing the lower one is really fun.

Nope, BCMC told me that it was working fine, so I will be ok I guess. But in your case, I'm happy to hear that it was such a small problem. Too bad you didn't know it before, it would have been a cheap fix.

C

Excellent! Mine are working properly now, but my understanding is that automotive bulbs won't last too long, so I have just ordered the LEDs.

• Member Contributer

Superfunk, you may be able to squeeze the entire trip into one day if you caught the first ferry but, like Polarbear says, it would be a pretty full day. The actual renfrew loop is about 5 hours assuming you start in Victoria. Add in some time for eating and some time for getting to and from the ferry and it would be a bit tight but could possibly be done. You can be the first to try and I'll be ready to go when you're nearby.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Tsawwassen+Ferry+Terminal,+Tsawwassen,+BC&daddr=Port+Renfrew,+BC+to:Lake+Cowichan,+BC+to:Swartz+Bay+Ferry+Terminal,+Patricia+Bay+Highway,+North+Saanich,+BC+to:Tsawwassen+Ferry+Terminal,+Tsawwassen,+BC&hl=en&sll=48.684491,-123.77284&sspn=1.223986,3.348083&geocode=FVHV6wIdWj6p-CE2383crxm9LintiLU3wuCFVDE2383crxm9Lg%3BFQbc5AIdZXeV-ClTd7xwTNeOVDGmbFH37Na1AQ%3BFdQF6QIdaRWb-CkxiBS02zSPVDGGAHvZ47F98w%3BFXbs5gIdkuSk-CGRQryQpVQ_FCnH19QSimePVDGRQryQpVQ_FA%3BFVHV6wIdWj6p-CE2383crxm9LintiLU3wuCFVDE2383crxm9Lg&t=h&dirflg=t&mra=ls&z=9

Note that google maps insists on taking the ferry across Saanich inlet which is neither required nor recommended.

V-FORE, on 03 Jun 2013 - 5:11 PM, said:

Looks like fun,the weather was great.....I had better hurry & get mine back on the road!!

med_gallery_8073_4155_157691.jpg

Gary, it almost looks ride-able, just need a little larger casters as there are some rough surfaces on the bridges. How does the power get to the ground?

• Member Contributer

Huh, I've ridden that loop a couple of times recently. A loop starting/finishing in Victoria is around 275 km, give or take. I'd say 4 hours is more than sufficient, not counting gas/food/photo breaks.

It's a doable ride from Vancouver, even counting a couple of 2 hour ferry rides. Fwiw, I've ridden the(much longer) Duffy Lake loop a couple of times as a day ride from Victoria.

I tried Google maps but frankly, it is far from their finest product. so, here are a couple from Streets & Trips.

• Member Contributer

Did you sample the seafood chowder at the CCC?

It's dee-licious!

No, but I did have an excellent coastal burger and salad. Their food really is a cut above that served in the pub just down the road, but on the other hand, it's also nice to sit on the pub deck with the fantastic water view. You either get good food or good view, I guess the pub doesn't need to put much effort into their food.

• Member Contributer

Huh, I've ridden that loop a couple of times recently. A loop starting/finishing in Victoria is around 275 km, give or take. I'd say 4 hours is more than sufficient, not counting gas/food/photo breaks.

It's a doable ride from Vancouver, even counting a couple of 2 hour ferry rides. Fwiw, I've ridden the(much longer) Duffy Lake loop a couple of times as a day ride from Victoria.

I tried Google maps but frankly, it is far from their finest product. so, here are a couple from Streets & Trips.

I don't doubt that it can be done. Our round trip from Colwood was right around 5 hours including a relaxed meal break so add another 45 min each way to the ferry terminal, four hours on the ferry, plus another 1 waiting for the two ferries (good luck) and you're at 11.5 hours round trip from Tsawwassen. Add your travel to and from, including traffic, and you've got a full day, but doable. Nice thing about motorcycles getting onto the ferries is that you can scoot in front of all the cars that are being held for the next ferry. I've arrived after the ferry was supposed to have left and was shuffled on while they held the gate for me.

This is from my return from the salt flats last year where they actually were pulling the gate shut behind me before I'd shut my bike off.

gallery_17747_6603_131822.jpg

Archived