3Rd Gen Hardbags. What Do You Have? Post 'em Up!

Yes, I'm aware of the long discontinued Givi Wingrack Y143 for the 3rd gen VFR but those seem to be nearly non-existant and ugly as sin without the hardbags.

Has anyone modified a set of 6th gen hard bags to work on a 3rd or 4th gen?

I'd like to see what you have and details on mounts if possible. I'm looking for something better than the soft side bags I have now.

Share with the group what you have please.

I'll start

I HAVE NO HARD BAGS

dscn3143d.jpg

You did a outstanding job in restoring your bike. Are your wheels powder coated, or did you paint your wheels?

I realize your asked for hard bag installation, but I'm working on modifying a separate seat cowl to have small slits towards my seat cowl's top. The slits will be much like car louvers. The slits will be reinforced from the inside. The slits will allow my soft bag straps to pass through my seat cowl. The straps will connect from the inside of my seat cowl, then my cowl and soft bags will attach as a single unit to it's rear seat fairing assembly. The inside of my soft bags will have a thin protection layer of rubber, much like your tool box rubber drawer liners. I want my bags to have an inside protective means. I also don't want my bags to be permanently attached to my bike. I will install my soft bags just for an occasional long distant ride, otherwise I'll use my back pack, or a small removable soft tank bag.

Note: When using any tank bag, keep both your underneath of your bag clean, tank cleaned and wax.

However you mount your bags, I'm sure you'll come up with a good solution, but please keep your post going with photos.

• Member Contributer

This question just came up regarding 4th gens. This thread contains some pics and link to the member's gallery that did this on a 4th gen.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/74888-6th-gen-side-cases-on-a-4th-gen/

I've got Five Stars side case racks with two Givi 45L hardcases. I like the look of the tubular Five Stars racks a lot better than that of bulky Givi racks. I also have a Givi topcase rack.

gallery_5310_4829_150865.jpg

gallery_5310_4829_85652.jpg

Thank you very much for the info. I asked the guy in the "4th gen thread" and he used the stock 6th gen bags and mounts and fabbed the mounts to work.

My wheels are powdercoated (R1 front). The rear is stock but it's due for a re-fresh. Thanks for the compliments. Here's an older pic for fun. She's up on the lift right now though. New intake boots, air filter, some re-wiring, etc. etc.

dscn3140h.jpg

thanks for the info on the hepco becker. I'll look into that.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/gallery/image/60317-cleaned/

a picture of the racks themselves, Very sturdy.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/gallery/image/61270-hepco-becker-rack-for-the-3rd-gen-vfr/

the top rack, Doesn't really trust it 100% Yet ;) , It's simply attached to the passenger handles but I'm planning on making 2 struts between it and the bar between the side racks

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the info. I order the mounts and sidecases form Moto Machines for those of you in the US who are interested. They aint cheap though!!!

Here are the side cases I got. I'm going to paint the panels to match my VFR.

http://www.motomachines.com/Junior-Flash-30-Side-Case-Set_p_183.html

those bags should look great, post pics when installed! looks like they make the mounts for the 4th gen also! when my 6th gen leaves my garage I will need to seriously look at my options for the 4th.

Archived