Flat Tire On My Red12 At The Top Of Gmr

Guest fasterspider

Guest fasterspider

After a nice ride this morning up through Azuza Canyon and while resting & taking in the limited by clouds & fog view at the top of the GMR, I looked to see my very low mileage rear Pilot Road 2 was pretty damn low on air and that kind of bummed me out :sad: because I had just checked tire pressures and filled them up not an hour before hand.

Something very thin went though the middle of the tire at it's thickest and hardest point of the whole 2 compound carcass.

It is a good thing I carry a couple of plug kits and a 12v compressor, I fixed the tire but, that cut the ride short and then the ride down the mountain took 3 times longer than the ride up.

• Member Contributer

Bummer. The last time I went to GMR it was so foggy and wet we turned around. One of the guys that joined me was a bit gun shy, he went down a few months ago and also had new tires, (as in less than 100 miles), and he was almost literally going 10 miles an hour up the hill. We had stopped to wait for him and as he pulled up, he said "We have NO business being up here", we turned around. Can't fault him for that but it was kind of funny. Thanks for the reminder though, I got to remember to pick up my plug and air kit soon.

• Member Contributer

Flats suck (or blow ...), but at least you were prepared. It seems to me that rear street bike tires pick up nails (screws, staples, etc.) far more easily than other tires. Similar thing happened to me in Santa Fe, NM. I picked up a tiny sliver of metal (part of a flattened out staple, I think) near the middle of the tread on a rear MEZ4. It was enough to let all the air out by the next day. Like you, I had plugs and C02 so I could get to a gas station and air up. I was a bit tentative on the plugged tire, but it held without a further leak for 2,000 miles on the ride home. Much discussion of the merits (or not) of plugging tires ensued here.

Been there and done that too many times unfortunately (6 or 7). Sticky strings have always worked and allowed me to run the tires as if new. Have run them to cords at an elevated pace...no problems.

• Member Contributer

Good thing you were prepared.

I always carry a compressor and some sticky cords myself.

I've found out a long time ago that once installed, the cords will hold air through the life of the tire all the way down to the cords.

It's not for everyone's comfort level, though.

Has anyone tried Ride-On tire sealant? Supposedly you can ride for miles on a punched tire and only lose a few pounds of pressure... I had it put in my tires with the last new set I had mounted, but (thankfully) haven't had a puncture.

Well, I've used slime, and as far as ill effect wise, it would be about the same. Once you get up above speeds of 90mph imbalance will enter the picture. and this on the back tire, I wouldnt want it in the front. But my issue with slime, the slime just slung out of the hole and green streaks uner my fender, and I've ran slime several times years back.

As far as punctures, worm thread goo plug kits are just about the best temporary fix.

I being a professional motorcycle mechanic truly hate Slime and any other chemical repair kits because when it comes time to change that punctured tire, that nasty green sticky shit is every where and does not come off without more chemicals that just tear the skin to pieces.

Plugs and plug patches are the only way to fix a flat with no shop in sight.

Archived