6Th Gen Fork Refresh

CandyRedRC46

Hey guys I want to do a mild refresh on the factory forks on my 2007 vfr800. I have 41,000 miles on them, so I figure its time for a fluid change and maybe the seals or something. I want to do a delink and f4i swap within the next 15,000 miles, but I just had to get all new brake pads all the way around last week so I am probably going to hold off for the next year or so, and then do an USD fork swap maybe a year after that. But in the mean time I think I can get by with a freshening up. What I had in mind was cleaning them out, and refilling them with a heavier weight oil, and replacing the seals while I am at it.

This is not some thing that I know too much about and I can't seem to find too much on here about freshening them up. (there is a shit ton of info about fork swaps though lol)

So basically my question is what is the recommended fluid people people usually go with for better handling.
Also they seem to be sticking, what parts should I order now to swap out inside there while I'm changing the fluid? Maybe the seals or o-rings or something. I don't really want to throw a bunch of money at the factory forks, but I wouldn't mind throwing 20-40 bucks at them if it will make it a better handling, safer bike in the meantime before I swap out a proper fork on here.

Thanks for your time guys

Expect to put close to $200 into a fork rebuild. I'm in the midst of doing the same thing, I went for new OEM oil seals and dust seals, and racetech inner and outer bushings, with Bel-Ray 10w. Total was about $180.

• Member Contributer

Expect to put close to $200 into a fork rebuild. I'm in the midst of doing the same thing, I went for new OEM oil seals and dust seals, and racetech inner and outer bushings, with Bel-Ray 10w. Total was about $180.

WOW 10w I assume you must have some girth.

WOW 10w I assume you must have some girth.

Yeah, I'm not small at 6'4" 250. I'm also going with heavier springs, so I'm using the fluid to firm up the rebound, gonna do some compression piston porting to even things out. Definitely not my ideal setup, looking at getting it re-valved at some point, probably toward the end of the season.

First just let me ask, you say you have 41000 miles is that mileage without fork oil change because if it is no wonder your forks are sticking because your oil will be like glue. The factory recommended fork oil change interval is about 15000kms.

If your going to do a fork upgrade then I would simply pull the forks apart which you have to do due to the cleaning there going to need if hasn't been done for 41000 miles & replace the oil & seals. Your also probably going to find the internal bushing will be very worn also but you should get away with not replacing them only because your only going to still use them short term. But if there very worn then replace them, I wouldn't bother with re valve etc if your replacing them soon as they will be 100% better just with an oil change & clean. From memory the standard oil is Honda 8W but motul racing line 7.5W works very well.

First just let me ask, you say you have 41000 miles is that mileage without fork oil change because if it is no wonder your forks are sticking because your oil will be like glue. The factory recommended fork oil change interval is about 15000kms.

If your going to do a fork upgrade then I would simply pull the forks apart which you have to do due to the cleaning there going to need if hasn't been done for 41000 miles & replace the oil & seals. Your also probably going to find the internal bushing will be very worn also but you should get away with not replacing them only because your only going to still use them short term. But if there very worn then replace them, I wouldn't bother with re valve etc if your replacing them soon as they will be 100% better just with an oil change & clean. From memory the standard oil is Honda 8W but motul racing line 7.5W works very well.

Hey thanks a bunch! So I should pull them off and clean them out. Some one said clean everything with kerosene? Is this a good or bad idea? And then I will put new seals, bushings, and dust caps in it. Is that it for maintenance?

021 SEAL SET, FR. FORK
51490-MCF-000 002 $19.44 $15.18 times 2 = $30.36
011 BUSH, GUIDE
51414-MCF-003 002 $8.47 $6.62 times 2 = $13.24
012 BUSH, SLIDER
51415-MBW-E11 002 $8.15 $6.36 times 2 = $12.72
Motul Racing Line 7.5w $30.00
Grand total = $86.32

well shit thats a little up there in price lol, but i guess i have to do it.

Kero is fine to clean out components as it is a light oil anyway. You have to completely pull them apart because left for so long & you need to make sure all the grit is removed from valving. You might get away without new bushing but due to mileage & the time between oil changes at a guess they will be fairly worn but you can gauge that once there out.

Not to mention, if you do a full rebuild now and perform a swap later, the forks will be more valuable for resale. Or, they will be ready to use without further work if you decide the usd swap is not for you, or if you decide to use them on a project, ETC.

Archived