Two Brother Exhaust System

• Member Contributer

If the collector (2-1/2-1 then 2-1) and rear down pipes look like the 5th gen header then it is a pretty good bet it's a TBR header. Sometimes they will stamp a mfg date near the outlet. TBR made them out of mild steel and stainless. Both are very light. A piciture would help.

Other brands of full headers available for 3rd and 4th Gen VFRs were Hindle and Indigo (I believe TBR made the Indigo systems for them but they are quite different to the TBR systems).

They swap without a problem. Actually just got done doing a swap today.

3rd gen Two Brothers Racing full system right exit for 4th gen Two Brothers Racing full system left exit.

The two materials seem to be different, same diameter but the 3rd gen gen seems to be stainless.

C451273C-5CF6-4B2C-9C72-83D2DEC972E7-293

Great, thanks for the pics. I ended up buying it today and it definately looks like the same system. But it was not in great condition, kind of rusted but with no holes. Also one of the front pipes was crunched a bit. The guy that sold it to me is a metal fabricator and he is replacing the section of pipe that is damamged for only $20. Hopefully he is going ot fit it to the VFR motor he has sitting on his shop floor :)

Chizzie, how was the removal and install? I keep reading about nightmare stories....

Honestly it wasn't too bad, definitely time consuming but once it's all stripped down it's just a matter of removing the 8 bolts and maneuvering it off/on. A few things that will help out tons if you don't have them already:

- WD40: Where the pipes are connect by springs, remove the springs, and just spray that area down. Ours didn't come apart too easy.

- Universal Joints: You will definitely need 1 to get access to a couple of the nuts on the back side of the motor. If your not familiar with them, its basically just a socket adapter that swivels so your socket can get into awkward places. I don't think we could have got some of the nuts off without it.

- A couple long socket extensions. Theres not much room for a wrench between the rear shock and the pipes.

-------

Also just in case you've never torn your bike apart, the easiest way would be to remove the sub frame, tank and some of the plastics. Again not sure if your familiar:

- Sub frame: Remove seat, tail section, and then just 4 bolts off the frame and unplugging and moving everything else out of the way and off to the side ( MC, battery, ecu, harness, pass pegs, etc. )

- Plastics: We took off the 2 main mids and the belly plastics.

- Tank: Just 1 10mm bolt at the back end. ( Pull tank backwards, lift out. Make sure to turn fuel valve to OFF, and disconnect hoses )

Hope that helps, if you have any questions just post it up. Also here's a picture of the tool we used to get to the rear bolts:

D0F1179A-91E3-4CFF-9EBC-258F19A5A44E-293

I removed the pair valve unit this weekend and spent probably an hour trying to remove the bolts above the top rear cylinder exhaust pipes. I figured if I could do those I can manage the headers. I'll try without removing the subframe first though.

Here is a pic of the headers with the fixed left pipe. Looks like I have some work to do with cleaning the rest of it. Maybe I should just ask the guy to fabricate the whole thing.

post-21942-0-12926800-1362458773.jpg

• 1 year later...

FYI I...MAY.... have for sale a Two Brothers Full system that I had ceramic coated with Carbon Fiber can in new condition/never used still in box. I'm giving a couple locals first dibs on a fair offer first. Send me fair offers an you may be able to enjoy it.

I have had this in storage for years thinking some rainy day I will mount it with my high mount Stain Tune can I have used an enjoy enough an tune the Two Brothers to match with StainTune..years later...still in my storage...lol along with all sorts of Gen4 goodies.

Honestly, if you have the patience, it will probably be the same amount of time to pull the sub frame out of the way, and the access you gain is very nice. I've replaced shocks both ways, with and without moving the sub frame, and I'll move the sub frame every time. I'd rather be less frustrated and take the same amount of time

• 3 years later...

Archived