Newbie Questions/project Progress

Guest Inkedfusionadsfas

Guest Inkedfusionadsfas

I took a Interceptor for a ride today and I think I'm going to buy it tomorrow. Its listed as a 85 Interceptor 750, but a tag on the frame says 1983 in big numbers. I'm just trying to figure out exactly what model it is. A past owner repainted it and the emblems are covered up.

Can someone help identify it?

Besides the model question, it felt great when I took it for a (VERY cold) ride today.

Picture in the link below. Formatting bar has a pic button but I guess were not allowed to post them. Attached the jpeg also

https://photos-5.dropbox.com/t/0/AAAFqjGxzXCdkf6YYjkpi24ORe1IKjJ4h4I-EiC4Fj4C8g/10/32238122/jpeg/32x32/6/_/1/2/interceptor.JPG/UhTKfv0XDiv-yg0_YkFJ6wZmbj6yM5VXUG8rMpGrilM?size=1024x768&size_mode=2

post-26828-0-86984500-1361147802.jpg

From the picture, looks like a 83 VF750F but the paint does throw off recognition at a distance. If the VIN plate states 1983, it probably is.

Thank you! I'm picking it up tomorrow. Can't wait for plus temperatures! (Celsius lol)

I took it through the owners neighborhood with a half helmet and a face mask. Couldnt go past 3rd gear ( took like 5 seconds.. Sweet!) because I was getting choked by the air lol.

Going to be a fun ride.

Does anyone ride on dual sport tires? I plan on making a few trips to my cottage and theres about 10-20km of gravel/dirt roads. Same with a couple family members homes.

Looking at these.... http://motorcycle.motorcycle-superstore.com/search?p=R&srid=S1-USESD02&lbc=motorcyclesuperstore&w=120%2080%2016&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.motorcycle-superstore.com%2f2%2f29%2f393%2f15130%2fITEM%2fKenda-K761-Dual-Sport-Rear-Tire.aspx&rk=13&uid=24401543&sid=2&ts=ajax&rsc=hNQR-btdNpy1oV0a&cnt=24&method=and&isort=score&view=grid

• Member Contributer

Keep in mind that the earlier Interceptors are notorious for having cam lobe issues due to top end oiling problems so this could be a potential headache. It also looks like the bike you show in the picture has been repainted since the colors look slightly off and the tank is missing the honda wing decal which I am pretty sure is clear coated on the tank from the factory. This could indicate that the bike has had some prior accident damage to it so make sure to inspect it carefully. My person opinion would be to pass on the bike unless you are very handy with a wrench and are comfortable working on motorcycles yourself since it will be hard to find a shop that will work on a bike that old. If you decide you are willing to take the chance with that bike make sure to check the tank for rust and inspect all hoses and rubber components since they could be cracked/brittle due to their age. Also keep in mind that parts won't be easy to find for that bike if they need replacement.

Rollin

Keep in mind that the earlier Interceptors are notorious for having cam lobe issues due to top end oiling problems so this could be a potential headache. It also looks like the bike you show in the picture has been repainted since the colors look slightly off and the tank is missing the honda wing decal which I am pretty sure is clear coated on the tank from the factory. This could indicate that the bike has had some prior accident damage to it so make sure to inspect it carefully. My person opinion would be to pass on the bike unless you are very handy with a wrench and are comfortable working on motorcycles yourself since it will be hard to find a shop that will work on a bike that old. If you decide you are willing to take the chance with that bike make sure to check the tank for rust and inspect all hoses and rubber components since they could be cracked/brittle due to their age. Also keep in mind that parts won't be easy to find for that bike if they need replacement.

Rollin

Thanks!

The tank was clean and the hoses were not brittle. The decal is visible under the paint. Previous owner just sprayed over it. I want to strip the tank and custom paint anyways

Bikes mine! It's settled into my garage till everything opens up tomorrow.

I am missing a helmet lock. There's just a hole a bit bigger then a nickel where it should be. Anyone know where I can get a replacement?

Here's a picture of my vehicular family. Ignore the orphan in the back...,

post-26828-0-06171300-1361221007.jpg

post-26828-0-97574500-1361220945.jpg

• Member Contributer

Look on the side of the head and see if it rates the engine at 748cc or 698cc. Could be an 83 or an 85 as they are virtually the same aside from color differences.

Also look under the seat at the color chart tag and let us know what the Honda color combo was.

Lastly, verify that the number plate rivetted on teh frame matches the number stamped in teh headstock.

how does it ride? I am not sure about those Kendas but wouldn't hesitate to mount a set of period style Metzler's (ME88's I think they were).

• Member Contributer

Don't forget that if it's an '85 itcould be a 700 tarif bike (my 1st V4!) Same bike just shorter stroke and a few less hp.

• Member Contributer

Don't forget that if it's an '85 itcould be a 700 tarif bike (my 1st V4!) Same bike just shorter stroke and a few less hp.

Good catch, that's why I asked what was on the side of the engine/head...

Its a 84 with a MFG date of late 83.

And I think you may have gotten that tire model wrong. ME88 looks like a fatback tire lol.

Feels great. Threw my scooter plates on it to take it around the neighborhood and had a blast. Still a newbie to big engines so I'm babying it, and I cant really rip it around at high speed in downtown Toronto, in the winter lol.

Brakes are very responsive. I accidently put it in a slide down my garage ramp earlier today. That was fun...

It fired up like it was nothing after not being started for over a month when I went to test it out initially. Has the E-Fan mod, but the PO said he never had to use it except on hot days. Says the forced air was more then adequit (Excuse my spelling). It WILL be handy, because I know I will get stuck in traffic a few times this summer.

I will want to find a helmet lock, as the original is gone.

Suspension feels great. I need to play around with the adjustable features. See how they work and feel.

Eventually I want to swap out the turn signals for LED versions.

I would like to find a slightly taller windscreen for distance riding. I have plans for several rides around ontario.

Going to need Pannier bags or top case of some type. My luck requires me to carry more items then I need and that gets heavy in a backpack.

• Member Contributer

Congrats on the old but new toy! I truly hope she gives you many miles of pleasure. Make sure to do your research on the top end oiling issue since it has the potential to cause you lots of grief. There is no point in investing alot of money into the bike only to have the cam lobes wear down prematurely due to inadequate lubrication. The mod to correct the issue is not very complicated and it is worth doing.

Rollin

Yea I saw them on Ebay with a ignition.. seperate keys for $45 plus shipping. I'm going to wait until Ontariocyclesalvage opens up and see if they have any first.

Well... That sucks..

Just got it back from the mechanic for safety... It failed.. Needs new chain, sprockets, rubber front and back (knew that), front master cylinder rebuilt, MIGHT need the steering head bearing replaced if tightening doesnt cut it. Also he said theres a engine noise that has him worried. Top of his head he thought it might be the tensioner. And apparently its a internal tensioner.

He highballed the tires a bit. like 200 each. I know I can get them cheaper elsewhere. Master cylinder I'm told is not horrible to do yourself, and the chain is apparently plug and play. I just don't have anywhere That I can strip off parts and leave it disassembled for several days. I can work on it at my companies shop but I cant take over a space for a extended length of time. More of a weekend workspace.

Anyone in Toronto on here? Might be able to lend me there expertise and help me out?

• Member Contributer

Not god news.

might be the tensioner, just as likely to be the cams/rockers...before ti put a tire or chain/sprockets on it I would remove the valve covers and inspect the condition of the condition of the valve train...

• Member Contributer

In the future it usually pays to listen to the advice on this forum. There is literally a wealth of knowledge and not just opinions. The suggestion to wait and not pull the trigger on this bike was given out of concern...

Sorry that this old bike was not really ready to ride.

I have a 1984 VF750F myself. If I were handing out advice, I would suggest ambling over to the Honda dealer to ask if they can recommend someone experienced with these old Interceptors. Somebody who can give a listen to the engine for you and tell you what you have going on. The cam chain tensioners were a weak link (Ha-ha!) in the 1st Generation bikes like ours. A little cam chain chatter at idle isn't unusual, but replacing failed tensioners is quite a job for a shade-tree mechanic.

The cam lobe issue is a possibility. I have about 40,000 miles on my bike and not an issue for me.

The countershaft sprocket, sprocket, chain, steering bearing (if necessary), and brake cylinder rebuild are all easy fixes if you have a place to work on the bike. Good luck.

• Member Contributer

Older Interceptors can turn into money pits real quick so you really need to decide how much money is in your budget up front because you can easily sink more money into the bike than what it is worth. $1200 in repairs on top of the purchase price makes this a bad deal already and there are still plenty of other potential issues that may arise with such an old bike.

Hopefully the engine issue is minor and you can fix the other stuff on your own. Worst case scenario is that you have to sell or part the bike out at a loss with a lesson learned. Sorry for the bad luck.

Rollin

I take my 84 to Rocket Cycle (416-746-1563), good guys & have been around

since 1979. No problems with their work although they are not the fastest.

So far my $500 VF750F has run me about another $2000, Front cams and rockers,

Metzler Lasertecs, Fork rebuild by Racetech,sprockets and chain, all

calipers rebuilt, master cylinders rebuilt (fr/r/clutch master), frame

powder coated, wheels cleaned -repainted, rads cleaned and repainted,

wiring harness completely stripped cleaned (along with all connecters &

switches), instruments and lights cleaned or replaced, etc. almost all the

work was done by myself, except cams, and I figure I'll put another $1000

before I'm done. Am I nuts? dam right! but i'm having a ball and had a

blast driving it last summer ( my other ride is a just restored 1976 KZ

900Ltd), but I also know that I'll never get my money back if try to sell,

but don't care at all. If you decide to go ahead try Toronto Cycle Salvage

416-259-7991, also Country Motorsport.ca, both have helped my out. I,m

around the High park area.

Soo, it looks like I learned a lesson in assholes.

I was taking my scooter in for a oil change today and told my scooter mechanic about my bike and all that needs to be done. He looked at me like I was saying fart fart fart. The only thing required for safety is: Tires are not past the wear marks, the lights work as they should and the brakes are good. So I brought it into him after my scooters oil change. HIs mechanic whos history is with motorcycles not scooters, looked at it and said the chain and sprocket are absolutely fine. The tires could use new rubber but there within the safety requirements and the rear brake light switch was just screwed on the pedal. He fixed that for free and I ran to Service Ontario. Bikes on the road.

I'll get new rubber in the next couple weeks but besides that, I'm very happy. You can actually get a bike or car certified without a engine. As long as the brakes are fine, signals do what there supposed to and all lights work. No holes in the exhaust your laughing.

Huge load off my shoulders.

• Member Contributer

As is.. Just to do the safty requirements I'm already looking at 1200 in parts and labor. FML!

[

I just learned a new expression. Cool! Gives new meaning to overheard kids conversations. (I'm not an eavesdropper. They are always yelling into their phones.) :unsure:

Archived