6Th Gen Modified Stock Exhaust End Caps

Guest 91talon

Guest 91talon

The exhaust was gutted, nearly full gut with the ends cut off, when I bought the bike, and it was almost like the end caps were just sitting there for nothing. I've been thinking a few days on this one... LOL
I pulled the trigger when I woke up the other morning, and did this:

Mark your cutting lines...
IMAG0766_zps9d1de232.jpg

I created a simple bracket, if you will, out of a 1x4, to hold the piece in place as I cut. Used a dremel.
IMAG0767_zps38a8397a.jpg

Here it is, cut out. I then took an angle grinder and smoothed down the sharp edges. Then I hit it with some sandpaper to smooth it even more.
IMAG0768_zps73c468fd.jpg

Had some mesh laying around, that was just wide enough, so I cut it and duct taped it in, to make sure it fit properly.
IMAG0769_zps2d6763d3.jpg

Here is the loose fitment.. not too bad.
IMAG0770_zpsb134a163.jpg

And here is both sides.
IMAG0771_zps0f2e9484.jpg

Painted the mesh...
IMAG0772_zps47ef440f.jpg

And held it in place with some high temp quick steel. It's not pretty, but it will work.
IMAG0773_zps538e240d.jpg

Everything bolted up and installed.
IMAG0774_zps8c185052.jpg

Thanks all for the compliments! :491:

I really wasn't sure how it would turn out, which usually differs from what I envision in my head. I'm really pleased with how it looks.

• 1 month later...

Sweet look! Do you have another picture with the plastic on your bike?

Not at the moment, I'm still cleaning the bike and rewiring the LEDs. Should have something up in the next week or so, as the back half of the bike should be done then.

OMG, your exhaust mod blew your rear wheel off!

Yeah, it was so loud it scared the rear wheel.

And... I noticed a definite difference in the exhaust note. I think before it was reverberating and making more of a tinny noise in the exhaust. With this, it just flows free and I can't seem to hear that tinny noise.

I called my buddy after shortly before I made the video. After I reved it a few times for him, he sounded panicked and said "Are you there?! Are you still alive?!"

Me: "Yes... why?"

Him: "Man, you bike sounded PISSED! When can I ride it?!"

LOL

That looks great! I'm actually considering trying this myself!

If you still feel like tweaking it- I found that cutting 4" off the exhaust really tightens up the look in the tail section.

IMG_20111003_180246.jpg[/url]

-Drew

Man, if I had a bit more skills in welding, I might try that.

No welding necessary actually, at least not for what I did.

I just dremel cut the can and heat shield down then drilled new mounting holes for the end cap.

Its not perfect, but close enough that nobody notices that it isn't stock unless I point it out.

Here are two more, to try and get different angle

IMAG1209.jpg

IMAG1147.jpg

-Drew

Archived