Don't Shoot Me....

Yokel

• Member Contributer

So.... I've got this really sweet 2010 VFR that's probably my favorite bike I've ever had. I've spent some coin, thrown on an exhaust, some really ugly bags, got the centerstand ordered up, new shoes and all this other stuff. I LOVE this bike.

BUT.

I need a house. My personal goals are to carry no more debt (in monthly payments anyway) than 1 week of my monthly income. Normally, I'd just pay off the loan on the bike... but I'm wanting to throw as much as possible down on a house when I purchase to save long-term on the interest and to meet my goals of being a cheap bastard.

Financials and reasoning aside...

What are you guys seeing 2010's going for, USED in your areas? I've got about 3k worth of aftermarket bling (might sell bags seperate) and new shoes on the girl. She's in great shape. I'm trying to find a baseline to ask on this machine IF I decide to sell it.

I haven't made up my mind yet, obviously... I'm just paranoid with the economy. 2008 hit me right in the jewels and I never want to put myself that far out there again.

As others have said before in other posts, sell the accessories separately as you would never get what they are worth if you try to sell them together with the bike.

2nd, check KBB and get ready to be disappointed, as you'll have a hard time selling it for a couple hundred more, let alone a couple of thousand more, then what KBB says it's worth (and what we as owners know it to really be worth). Bikes just seem to depreciate ridiculously fast, much faster then a car, especially if its not the latest "Ninja" that every hooligan and wide eyed kid who's never ridden a motorcycle wants.

• Member Contributer

Not going to shoot you, you are merely the victim of a system that seduces you to buy stuff you do not have the coin for, but want to own have in your possesion right now.

It catches out manier person and rest assured, the banks will not loose a penny on this. The bill will be footed by people that do save before they buy...

I give you $1,000 for your bike. That includes shipping across the pond by the way!

Nah, good luck with your sale!

I mentioned this in another thread, but this last summer, I found myself lusting after the Ducati Diavel. The local Ducati dealership offered me a little over 6k for my still pretty new '10 VFR1200, with around 2000 miles on it.

At that point in time, I'd had it for about seven months, and would have been looking at losing over half of what I paid for it!

Needless to say, I'm still riding my 1200, and have established a great relationship with it. It took a few adjustments, but it has become my all time favorite.

It's a shame these bikes depreciate so fast. I'd try to sell privately, and consider the money spent to date as the "price of admission" for riding a great bike.

• Member Contributer

Check Motorcycle Consumer News website. Then click on "used values" or something like that. Then click on the top link which is their latest online posted list. It is a good starting point, but I think you will find it will be on the high side, especially in Oklahoma...

• Member Contributer

First and foremost, good luck selling.

Problem is that the VFR is a niche bike that not many people care for. A Sport bike (CBR, R1, ect) would hold it's value better and be easier to sell just because of more demand.

• Member Contributer

Yeah... That confirms my excuse to keep her and just enjoy it.

Really pretty sad that a bike like this depreciates so drastically, but I'm over it. It does absolutely everything I want. Perfect justification to NOT let it go. :)

Archived