1983 V45 Interceptor Carb Help

Guest Jeeprogue

Guest Jeeprogue

Hello, im new to this forum and did do a little searching but couldn't find exactly what it was i was looking for. what i was hoping is that somebody could tell me how to adjust and sync my carburetors on my 83 V45 Interceptor. Thanks in advance for any help.

• Member Contributer

step one..... download the manual

step two.... buy or borrow and sync gauge set.

step three... follow the manual

:fing02:

is your bike idling rough? carb sync only effects the bike until maybe 1800 rpm.. if that.

ive downloaded the FSM, but never having done this before it is a little vague, and maybe my issue isn't the sync, but heres what it does, it often dies at idle, seems to idle way to low, hard starts when its cold, and the entire upper power band anything over 6-7k is compleatly gone, there is nothing its almost like it bogs down when it trys to go up there, any thoughts?

• Member Contributer

Start from scratch. Pull your plugs and check them for condition and proper gap. Check cylinders for compression. Take carbs apart and give them a good cleaning. Check your fuel filter and air filter. A carb sync helps to smooth the engine out, but it won't fix a poor running engine.

• 2 weeks later...

If your bike is running at all at idle you won't need to adjust any synch screw more than + or - 1/2 turn, usually less.

Notice that carbs must be synched in an exact sequence and that each screw adjustment may slightly affect the vaccum on other carbs in the set. The throttle needs to be snapped a couple times after each screw adjustment to ensure that the linkages and butterflies have setteled into their new position.

In your exact case i think that simply cleaning or replacing all your idle jets, along with a compressed air blowout of the hole under the idle mixture screw would be a good place to start.

• Member Contributer

Lots of good point here, especially with YoshiYNS referring to checking the plugs and compression. I don't know how long you've had your Interceptor, but compression check should be done just to let you know the overall health of the top end. If the carbs are questionable, and if the bike was sitting for a long time, the Interceptor would benefit from pulling the carbs and giving a cleanout to the floatbowl innards.Pull the filter and blow through it? Is it free flowing? Is there crud in the tank- maybe flush with clean fuel and pull the petcock (replacing the gasket).

I'm just saying this if the bike's storage and maintenance history is in doubt, otherwise, going straight for the sync won't accomplish much. You want to start out with a good basis of clean carbs, good spark, and known good compression. Once you get around to the sync, a homemade manometer can be made. I sync'd my 4th gen's carb a few years ago with good results from $15 worth of supplies. I used fork oil as the manometer's fluid:

Good luck on getting your first gen up and running! :fing02:

Archived