Checking Oil On Centrestand

SAFE-T

• Member Contributer

Every once in a while I read an odd piece of advice out there in another forum by someone that normally seems properly edumacated and knowledgeable.

Yesterday it was to hold your bike up while you were on it to check the oil level (via dipstick) on a particular model of bike, because if you put it on the centrestand it would not be on level ground. Therefore giving you an inaccurate reading, I guess.

:huh:

• Member Contributer

That's a priceless piece of advice. I suggest that everyone follows it at least three times per day regardless of whether they ride on that day or not.

Oil is a liquid and as we all know, liquids evaporate over time. It is possible that change in oil level of 1x10 to the -300th power will make the bike explode at the most inopportune moment.

Seb - We need us some custom dipsticks.

I believe that it says on the owner's manual on VFRs with centerstands that you check the ol level with the bike on the centerstand. I think if you do it on the sidestand, you will end up overfilling the bike with oil and that is not good.....

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

The volume shown in the window changes greatly with the bike on the center stand versus the kick stand, so yes, it is vital to check correctly (on the center stand). On the kick stand, my bike looks bone dry (freaks me out every time), but if I were to fill it based on that, it'd be WAY overfull when sitting upright.

Mike

Oil is like sunscreen, runny or coagulated, it can save your life. I recommend putting sunscreen on the oil-level sight glass so that the oil is not affected by the sun's harmful UV rays.

The water in your toilets spins clockwise when you flush it, right?

Oil is like sunscreen, runny or coagulated, it can save your life. I recommend putting sunscreen on the oil-level sight glass so that the oil is not affected by the sun's harmful UV rays.

The water in your toilets spins clockwise when you flush it, right?

CCW for those down under...... but I think you know that or wouldn't have asked. :idea3:

Centerstand usually tilts the bike forward a bit (raised rear), which is what they were probably getting at.

The amount it changes the level reading is infinitesimal though.

You're far more likely to lean over to unscrew the dipstick cap, loose control of the bike in a lean and dump it while standing still with the hold it upright method.

Unless your oil filler cap/dipstick is on the same side as the side stand.

Most bike's I've seen are on the opposite side so.....slip, aarrgghh, crunch, @#*%$#*......$$$$.

how-to-pick-up-a-dropped-motorcycle.jpg

Bummer....

yes the water spins :rolleyes:

Oil level in VFRs should be checked by the method described in the manual. Those clever Honda engineers wrote down "check it with the bike on the centre stand on level ground". I'm pretty sure they didn't mean for everyone to carry a spirit level to check the ground beforehand - or maybe a theodolite. Your manuals may say center stand instead of centre stand. weird.

yes the water spins :rolleyes:

Oil level in VFRs should be checked by the method described in the manual. Those clever Honda engineers wrote down "check it with the bike on the centre stand on level ground". I'm pretty sure they didn't mean for everyone to carry a spirit level to check the ground beforehand - or maybe a theodolite. Your manuals may say center stand instead of centre stand. weird.

Speaking of using a spirit-level, I don't carry one with me but I have checked two places at home that I used a level on and now check my oil after I place the bike in those positions ........ Just don't tell anybody I'm OCD ...........

For ppl that aren't OCD, there is a big diff' between most dip-stick engines and the side window view....... With the DS it comes to rest nearer to the middle of the oil sump, so a little tilting isn't going to read that much diff'............. Where as mentioned above side window on the right, side stand on the left shows oil empty.......... Big diff'............

Archived