CHAIN REPLACEMENT

Guest FROSTIE

• Member Contributer

On my 4th gen, I changed every 22k miles

but it really depends on how you take care of your chain (tension/lube) and riding (smooth or hammering it, including wheelies)

if you do all the wrong things, I guess 6k miles can destroy a chain.....

• Member Contributer

This seems to vary widely. I've heard of chains and sprockets lasting 50,000 miles with regular cleaning and lube but that is on the higher end of what's possible. 25,000 miles might be a reasonable average. It is my belief that highway miles are easier on the chain whereas a lot of stop and go seems to wear them faster. But regular cleaning is thesingle biggest factor affecting life.

• Member Contributer

About 25-30k is normal for me. If you aren't planning on changing the sprockets the easiest way to put the new chain on is to grind the rivets off one of the links of the old chain somewhere near the rear sprocket and remove the pin that holds the individual links links together. Separate the chain and then use the same pin you removed to connect one end of the new chain to one end of the old chain. You can then move the wheel by hand to move the chain forward and around the front sprocket. Once you have it around the sprocket and under the swingarm you can pull the pin out and get ride of the old chain. Then just connect the two ends of the new chain with your new masterlink and pin. If you plan on changing out the sprockets too I highly recommend steel sprockets over aluminum.

Rollin

• Member Contributer

C49 high carbon steel..... Aparently. Make is JT

Trust it to be good. ;-)

• Member Contributer

I've done the chain twice. Both at about 20K-25K miles and I am fairly gentle on the chain but not religious at cleaning and lubing it. Keep checking the sprocket and chain adjustments. When mine needed replacement the sprockets looked OK and the chain adjustment was well within spec but I developed a "knocking" noise at low speed that I attributed to a frozen or stiff link.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have used a scottoiler on my chain drive bikes since 1990. My original chain on my 1997 VFR750 lasted 102,000 klm before I replaced it and then it had only 'stretched' about 10mm. I find that if you change the gearbox sprocket at 35,000 - 40,000 klm the transmission will always be good. I changed the rear sprocket at about 85,000 klm but I think it would probably have lasted 100,000klm. At 102,000 klm the front sprocket was due for a change again so I decided that it deserved a new chain as well. I think I also replaced the rear sprocket at the time. It has now done 160,000 klm with one change of front sprocket. Transmission is still good. Once you notice some vibration this is an indication that a new primary sprocket is needed.

I only use chain lube after washing the bike. First I de-water the chain with WD40 and then add chain lube. The rest of the time the scottoiler looks after the chain.

If you think those mileages are good I have a friend who has done over 190,000 klm on the his original Chain AND sprockets on his VFR800. He is a cheapskate I admit and his transmission feels a little loose but it is useable. Scottoilers WORK!

I am sure I have posted this info before!

• Member Contributer

I made my first chain and sprocket change at 33,000 miles. I probably kept the chain a little cleaner than most people (but not much) and used brake cleaner to clean it against everyone's advice. So, brake cleaner can't be too bad.

I also used Motorex Strong chain lube. You can get it from Cycle Gear and it's the best stuff there is IMHO. It sticks to the chain like glue, doesn't attract dirt and lasts a long long time. The sprockets actually didn't visibly show any wear but they were replaced too. FWIW, the bike was run very hard all it's life and almost totally in the mountain twisties of N. AL, N. Ga., E. Tenn., and W. NC. If a VFR could be worn out, it would have shown significant wear. It didn't. Wrapping it around the tree is what proved to be a little much for it though.....

• 3 weeks later...

Archived