• Member Contributer

to help prevent this happening again install Factory Pro shift kit. my '95 was trying to slip/skip occasionally (2nd). put the kit in& problem solved, hasn't been an issue for years & well over 150K km but your thread reminded me about it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UPDATE: Sorry this update has taken so long, but here's where things are: I dropped the engine, split the cases, and found.....a bent shift fork. Pretty significant scarring/gouging on one side of one fork, and the peg/dog for 2nd gear that moves inside the long slot to engage the gear has been significantly rounded off on one side. So, all together I need about $500 in parts for o-rings, gears, gaskets, etc, which I have ordered, and I'm sending the tranny out to be up & down race cut so this won't happen again. Should have it rolling out of my garage in a week or so if all goes well timing-wise.

Good to know that our initial diagnosis was on the right track. At least the mystery's over and it's getting fixed! :fing02:

Hope you get it back on the road soon!

Beck

95 VFR

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

I am hoping to buy a 3rd or 4th Gen VFR in a not too distant future and stumbled upon this post ! V4 Fanatic: Your introuctory post was most amusing and I admire you wanting to get to the bottom of the problem without resorting to buying whole engines, (although you might want to think about purchasing engine # 2 to keep expanding your hard earned knowledge !).

I think Seb Speed was the only one that insisted on previous ownership issues. The only thing I would add is that problems relating to second gear are often due to pulling wheelies. As your friend sold it to you so he could go racing with a Porsche he might have been able to do quite a few wheelies in the 10k he rode it. Try asking him sometime when he is off guard !

Regards to All

• Member Contributer

So, all together I need about $500 in parts for o-rings, gears, gaskets, etc, which I have ordered, and I'm sending the tranny out to be up & down race cut so this won't happen again.

Glad you found your issue. Just for future reference, where in So.Cal. can you get gears race-cut?

Cheers,

The only thing I would add is that problems relating to second gear are often due to pulling wheelies. As your friend sold it to you so he could go racing with a Porsche he might have been able to do quite a few wheelies in the 10k he rode it. Try asking him sometime when he is off guard !

I know the previous owner quite well, I don't think wheelies were in his nature. As for me, I've kept both wheels on the ground. The whole bent fork is rare on a VFR, I'm sure, so I'll see how the next 55k go on it after this fix.

Glad you found your issue. Just for future reference, where in So.Cal. can you get gears race-cut?

APE. They up & down race cut my ZX-10 tranny a few years back when they were in Burbank. Now, they are out @ the track in Rosamond, CA. http://www.aperaceparts.com/ They really are the only ones in SoCal doing it at all. Even shops/dealers send all of their customer's tranny's there. They seem to be the only game in town, and the only one on the West Coast that does it that I could find.

Also, Orient Express out on Long Island does it too. I've had one cut there before too on another bike when APE was backed up more than a month.

Archived